P3x

Time Required to Install Cab on 520H

P3x

Snowing/Blizzard like in MA today as most of the east coast.  With the forecast calling for snow the remainder of the day into night with temps taking a deep dive south afterward with temps in the sub-teens and single digits overnight for the next week.  So will need to complete snow removal duties as soon as it stops. Conditions are pretty nasty compounded by having had recent elbow surgery. Left arm is in a full cast without a winter coat in my snow removal gear arsenal large enough to cover it. On the bright side it's the left elbow so using the PTO and Motion Ctrl levers will not be a problem. 

Anyway, purchased a new cab a couple of years ago, procrastinated.... and never installed it. Just manned-up if conditions got to the point where the 310 couldn't push the snow.  But think the current situation behooves me to install it.  Am interested to get an idea of time required to perform the initial cab install. The tractor is a 1993 520H.

I do have a helper (non-mechanically inclined wife) to assist. Think I read a post in the past it takes anywhere from 4-8 hours without running into the inevitable issues typical with install projects.  Is this time frame correct?

Thank you!

P3x in Snowy MA

squonk

I would say the first time no more than 3 hours tops. And that's taking your time. I take my cab off in sections. and take about an hour to reinstall after I have all the pieces out of the shed. The hardest part is the front frame. If the pictures in the instructions are good you should be all set.

• Like 3

WHX??

Mike's about right if it's a cab made to fit on the tractor you are putting it on. Doesn't take much more than a couple of 7/16th's and maybe a 1/2 wrench or socket.

• Like 1

P3x

squonk/WHX14,

That's great to hear it's a lot less of a chore than I thought. Think I'll install it for this evening's fun. 

Ordered the cab in Oct. '13  with all intentions to install it right off having only one tractor and using an ST a couple of winters. Generally do put things off as long as this... Found a 310 for a decent price. Installed a plow blade on it with the ST on the 520 for when the snow is too deep and need to throw the piles. The past few winters have not been too bad so seemed to work well.  Also picked up a used cab that had the glass WS, wiper blade, and strobe soon after. It was pretty much assembled when I got it and found it a pain to store - (had it suspended from the garage ceiling).  Finally sold it and was great to get the room back in the garage - kept the glass and wiper to install with the new cab.

Not enjoying the ST face snow showers as much I used to along with storage issues, think I'll bite the bullet and follow the practice of several other member's posts,  leave it installed on the 520 as a permanent fixture is a good way to deal with all.

Now have to go prep the wife for an evening of bonding in the garage!

Thanks for the replies.

P3x

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

lynnmor

I partially disassemble my cab each year.  To install, I build the frame completely and add the fabric last.  To speed things along, I use a drill/driver with a 7/16" socket, and a 7/16" wrench.

• Like 3

squonk

I take the cab off in sections. Un clip the panels and store them in large bags. 4 bolts and the roof is off. I lay that on a shelf in my shed. 4 more bolts and the roof halo is off. That lays inside the roof panel. Now the panels go on top of the roof and halo. The rear sections are 8 bolts and hang on a hook on a shed wall.  The front section is another 4 bolts, loosen the running board clamps and loosen a couple of braces. That is hung on another hook. Simple to store and not a PITA to put back on as opposed to a fully assembled cab.