Red144runner

Big snow on way. Gearing up

WVHillbilly520H

Good job there I made my rear weight hanger in the Berco style, holds 3, Jeff.

0a693563.jpg

IMAG1687.jpg

IMAG1686.jpg

IMAG1763.jpg

post-4076-0-55067700-1402969510.jpg

post-4076-0-87844900-1402969520.jpg

• Like 7

953 nut
32 minutes ago, Red144runner said:

I have chains but I don't want to chew up a 3 month old driveway.

I have found that added weight makes for a lot less wheel spin. Mine is crude but effective.

5a4d8d6ef1264_2hitchweightbox003.JPG.eb28542295e8dadacdd2847e2183ff1e.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Very nice, weight helps with traction. I am in my garage now tweeking things up. Good luck.

Glenn

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Not much snow here, but the wind is causing some drifting.   All schools have a 2 hour delay. 

Might have to fire up a horses later today.   Oh,  Size does matter,  When putting the rubber to the road.

5a4e24c40ec02_312weigtstack.JPG.8f784ac5dea28d3749bba53271f9f079.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

rmaynard

We have 3/4", and road are just wet. It all stopped by 6AM, and the public schools are closed. I remind my grandkids that when we were in school, they didn't think about closing until there was at least 3" covering the roads with a forecast of more. 

• Like 6

Sarge

That's hilarious - they never cancelled school when I was a kid unless it was a flat-out blizzard ,and it had to be a serious one like the '78-'79 Midwest blizzard. Even lately - they rarely cancel the schools but do have some start delays but it's according to temps and winds.

Stay safe guys - we like pics too...lol .

Sarge

Red144runner
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Not much snow here, but the wind is causing some drifting.   All schools have a 2 hour delay. 

Might have to fire up a horses later today.   Oh,  Size does matter,  When putting the rubber to the road.

5a4e24c40ec02_312weigtstack.JPG.8f784ac5dea28d3749bba53271f9f079.JPG

That's a load on there. Nice set up

• Like 3

ebinmaine

http://www.weather.gov/gyx/winter

We've got 4 or 5 inches on the ground now and forecast for 12-ish +-

Horse Newbie
4 hours ago, rmaynard said:

We have 3/4", and road are just wet. It all stopped by 6AM, and the public schools are closed. I remind my grandkids that when we were in school, they didn't think about closing until there was at least 3" covering the roads with a forecast of more. 

Plus @rmaynard, we had to walk to school uphill, both ways:text-thankyoublue::text-lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

pfrederi
56 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Plus @rmaynard, we had to walk to school uphill, both ways:text-thankyoublue::text-lol:

I do remember that the school buses used chains.

• Like 2

rmaynard
49 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I do remember that the school buses used chains.

Yes, and our bus driver used to carry two shovels. The oldest boys had to sit up front to help dig out the bus if he got stuck. My oh my how times have changed.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

We got about 2 to 3 inches in Richmond , stopped around noon , not sure about the eastern part of the state, but they were forecast to get pounded. No pictures spent all morning at the VA and I not going back out in the cold.

Ed Kennell
5 hours ago, Sarge said:

That's hilarious - they never cancelled school when I was a kid unless it was a flat-out blizzard ,and it had to be a serious one like the '78-'79 Midwest blizzard. Even lately - they rarely cancel the schools but do have some start delays but it's according to temps and winds.

Stay safe guys - we like pics too...lol .

Sarge

Same here Sarge.   Our bus route was 17 miles over Mt. Davis, the highest point in Pa.    When a snowfall was forecast, the bus drivers put the hooks on the bus the night before.

If we did get caught at school or enroute, we, the older boys, put the chains on.   Many times when we had to turn around at the dead end bus stops, the bus would get stuck when we backed in an unplowed lane.  No problem, Everyone just piled off the bus and pushed it back to the plowed road.    The '58 blizzard did close the mountain road and the school for two weeks till a blower became available to open the road.    OH, those good old day.

• Like 3

rmaynard

Man do I remember the '58/'59 blizzard. Do you remember the blue snow?

roadapples

Remember those days. With about 8" on the ground one mourning my senior year I called the radio station, told them I was the principle, and school was cancelled. Man was he hot. Never told a soul 'till after I graduated. Would have gotten the "board of education" for sure...

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Ed Kennell
13 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Man do I remember the '58/'59 blizzard. Do you remember the blue snow?

Sure do Bob.   What really sticks in my memory is the snow tunnel we traveled to school.   In the low areas, the  walls of snow were higher than the bus with about one foot of clearance on each side.

The blower was about 2' wider than the bus and it only opened one lane with a passing lane about every mile.    The snowmobilers that were delivering food and medicine were cautioned  to stay near the center of the road to avoid utility poles and wires that were buried under the snow drifts  in the valley areas between the mountains.

• Like 3

953 nut

I recall a few times that several of the teachers would ride the school bus too because it had a better chance of making it to and from school than their car. If a bus did get stuck there was always a farmer with a tractor that would help get it back on the road.

• Like 2

Big_Red_Fred
1 hour ago, roadapples said:

Remember those days. With about 8" on the ground one mourning my senior year I called the radio station, told them I was the principle, and school was cancelled. Man was he hot. Never told a soul 'till after I graduated. Would have gotten the "board of education" for sure...

A Man out of my Own Heart roadapples, The Catholics didnt care how deep the snow was, ya get out & walk, remember my Older Sister dragging me to school

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

Ok guys...the you know what("snow") just keeps deeper and deeper with every tale.:D Okay how's this?... It gets so hot down here we make hard boiled eggs in the swimming pools and fry eggs on the sidewalk.:text-lol: Snow as deep as telephone poles. Ha !

Edited by Horse Newbie
spacing
  • Haha 2

Ed Kennell

See the source image

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

PeacemakerJack

Ok Guys—where’s the snow removal pics or better yet—videos???:think: 

:wwp: or it didn’t happen!:ychain:

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
39 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Ok Guys—where’s the snow removal pics or better yet—videos???:think: 

:wwp: or it didn’t happen!:ychain:

Well, as some of you know, I don't yet use a wheel horse for snow removal. Please don't judge me! I am trying to improve!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

PeacemakerJack

Eric—It will come in time!  I would love to see a video of you wrestling with that monster that you call a walk behind clearing that deep east coast snow:occasion-snowman: that thing is bigger than some mounted snowblowers that I’ve had. :twocents-02cents:

:popcorn:

• Like 1

857 horse

BOTH WAYS !!!!!!!    today they call that child abuse........fact can be stranger than fiction,,,,,

• Like 3