PeacemakerJack

Vintage Trucks

Tractorhead

After changing a defect Motor mount, clutch setup and few other things he have done „Mad Max“ did his first Testride

after an Engine Warmup in his Rally Landy.

That Beast is pushed by an highly tuned 6Cyl. Mercedes Engine with about 300HP+With a sequential Gearbox.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Horse Newbie
57 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

8 passenger Beauville

That Beauville is a beaut !:lol:

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Beauville

My parents have owned a flooring company since 1977. They've been through many vans over the years. 

One of my favorites was a '79 Chevy Beauville. Window van like that. 

Light blue with a darker blue interior. 

350, TH350 auto, LTD slip, loaded. 

Some of my driving education was in that van. It went down the road very well. 

• Like 3

19richie66

C6F25DC3-9F87-4261-B72A-2BD91A173540.jpeg

• Like 7

Stormin

1925 Renault. Now in the ownership of a friend of mine.

Renault NN Commerciale

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 2

PeacemakerJack
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Well I guess I can actually play in this thread now...

What is the story on that sharp looking blue oval Eric?  

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

I can actually play

Must be what the destination for that hopped up 6 cylinder you're building!?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
28 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

What is the story on that sharp looking blue oval Eric?  

Well sir, that's my version of a new horse hauler.

The drivetrain and the nose is 86 Ford F250 HD.

300-6, 4 on the floor, 4WD, 4:10 gears.

It has 43,000 original miles and I'm the third owner.

It was originally purchased by a mason in central New Hampshire. Owned it for just a few years and retired. It sat for a long time and then the fellow I got it from bought it around 20 years ago and did a full frame off restoration somewhere around 2003.

You'll note that the bed is of much newer vintage.

Frame, running gear, nose, 1985 or 86. Cab is a 1995 but has the 1985 firewall grafted into it so as to be able to use the older style components.

The bed is of 1997 vintage. That will actually be coming off and being sold in favor of a wooden flatbed.

The last owner drove it as little as 300 miles per year over the last 20.

When I bought it I knew it needed a few things. Nothing major. Finishing up type stuff.

After we got it home I found out that it had a worn-out pinion bearing race and small chips in several teeth of the rear ring gear, likely due to the yoke being loose.

The rear end will be completely rebuilt because I'd like to treat this truck the way things should be done. 

As some of you know, for quite a while now I've wanted to get a hold of a 300-6 and wake it up a bit, so to speak.

26 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Must be what the destination for that hopped up 6 cylinder you're building!?

This one is going to end up with the above intake and carb, later model EFI split exhaust manifolds, y-pipe going into single exhaust. Some sort of electronic ignition change and complete removal of all computer controlled engine components.

Because this truck sat for so long there's a lot of oil seals and gaskets that need attention. If one of those turns out to be the rear main seal or transmission front seal then I'll have to pull the engine and at that point I would also put in an RV/Torque cam.

She's a good old solid beast in overall excellent condition particularly for the area we live. It'll be a great cruiser that can also work. Fun yet practical.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

Stormin

I'd love a truck like that. Unfortunately the running costs over here would be prohibitive. :(

• Like 3

Achto
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

later model EFI split exhaust manifolds, y-pipe going into single exhaust.

I had a '67 Chev P.U. with a Stove Bolt strait 6 and a granny low 4speed. It had dual 2" exhaust with glass packs that made some beautiful music.

(Just a suggestion) :)

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

Achto
40 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Unfortunately the running costs over here would be prohibitive.

The Ford 300 in line 6 is not too bad on fuel. It also has more torque than the Ford 302 V8.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Achto said:

The Ford 300 in line 6 is not too bad on fuel. It also has more torque than the Ford 302 V8.

And depending on the year, the 351 as well.

I found a couple of towing rating charts that show the 460, diesel of those vintages, and the 300 were the engines that could tow the most at around 10,000 pounds gross, 11,000 lb gross.

I've had several of these engines in the past and been able to get as much as 17 or 19 MPG out of a half ton two wheel drive with very high gearing.

With this one being as low geared as factory possible and also no overdrive I think I'll be doing fairly well to get 11 or 12 MPG out of it.

With the small amount that we will be using this truck that really isn't a concern.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Achto said:

I had a '67 Chev P.U. with a Stove Bolt strait 6 and a granny low 4speed. It had dual 2" exhaust with glass packs that made some beautiful music.

(Just a suggestion) :)

I mulled over how to do the exhaust for several weeks. The reason I ended up going with a 6 into 2 into 1 was mostly based on cost and simplicity.

I don't have any connections to get good pricing on exhaust being custom built and it ain't cheap.

The Walker y pipe I have will dump out just over the top of the transmission crossmember so with the muffler at the end of that all I'll need is a turn down.  

• Like 2

OldWorkHorse

@ebinmaineGonna be hard to tow a wheel horse towing one of these behind that truck :laughing-rolling: :hide::ychain:

bucket-1000-gallon-tank.jpg

Edited by OldWorkHorse
  • Haha 4

Stormin
27 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I think I'll be doing fairly well to get 11 or 12 MPG out of it.

That would cost me about £16. That's about $22 to you.

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Stormin said:

That would cost me about £16. That's about $22 to you.

Ouch

• Sad 1

Pullstart

Saw this beaut’ at the Orange Box Store today...

5020ACA7-66DB-4F70-B997-1FA39B1F02CE.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5
  • Heart 1

PeacemakerJack
23 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

She's a good old solid beast in overall excellent condition particularly for the area we live. It'll be a great cruiser that can also work. Fun yet practical.

That is for sure!  I like it and am looking forward to the Eric/Trina mods to personalize it🙌🏻👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ohiofarmer

Well, I have two of them in various stages of repair.  I was getting all tight with my money when we bought a Toyota Rav4 Hybrid.  We never had a new car, although our used ones were never clunkers when we purchased them. The Rav is our retirement /travel car, but it has just pretty much gone to Ann Arbor to see our daughter and Covid eliminated most of using it to visit other people.

Now, about the trucks. I never wanted fancy ones and preferred manual transmissions. My sister gave me her late Husband's truck, and it is a 1994 Dodge Sport with the 360 Magnum [not Hemi]  V-8. We were trying out names for the little guy and it is a toy compared to my big truck.So we combined the thought of toy with my late BIL's name and Tomka Truck was born

Once my work truck had a major issue, this truck seemed the easiest to fix and with the high demand for trucks right now, it seemed like a good bet. The lug nuts were recessed deep into alloy wheels and some Neanderthal messed up the lug nuts so bad that I had to drill out and grind them off with a grinding stone. it has all new brakes including rear drum brakes that i managed to figure out.I hired a pro to do the electronic diagnosis and he got it running with a new crank position sensor. I like the looks of the truck and think it deserves a little body work as the frame and bed are very solid .  There is just something that looks better about a single cab truck, especially since you cannot get them anymore. The bed being the same approximate size as the truck cab just looks proportionate to me.

DSCN1445.JPG

DSCN1442.JPG

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ohiofarmer

I have plans to get the 2002 Dodge Turbodiesel back on the road. I lost a bearing on one axle that destroyed the bearing race and end of the axle. There is a service in Columbus OH that sends out a mobile crew to precisely cut off and weld a new axle end on the bigger trucks all the way to semi. Again, with the price of trucks, it is a no brainer to get this truck back in service. Older Diesels were the best and a 12 valve Cummins is about bomb proof. This engine is a 24 Valve that makes additional power, but has a computer and not as simple as the first generation Cummins/Dodge. This engine needed a fuel pump and I had it replaced , but compared to the nightmares the new trucks have with the additives and soot traps and poor mileage, the maintenance costs on a modern Diesel are just beyond my risk tolerance. This truck will pull some big loads with the manual six speed two range 4WD. I can tell you that I helped a former student of mine build a log cabin and Iloaded that truck with all my scaffolding and the kitchen sink. She pulled the hills running the speed limit of 65-70 on the hills of East Tennessee getting 23 MPG and weighing 12000 loaded. It only gets 14MPG around here, but a Diesel is happy when the trip is long and going at speed.

I intend to remove the service body and use the flat bed with some kind of simple tool box side boards. No great pictures right now, but both trucks and the C-160 just for effect. The C-160 has the tow bar resting on it from Tomka truck. I call the tow bar my 24-7 roadside assistance go handle for some reason.  A lot of farmers have them around here and use them to deliver multiple tools, tractors

and wagons to the fields depending on the need.

DSCN1441.JPG

DSCN1443.JPG

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 3

ohiofarmer
On 7/19/2021 at 12:23 PM, ebinmaine said:

Well sir, that's my version of a new horse hauler.

The drivetrain and the nose is 86 Ford F250 HD.

300-6, 4 on the floor, 4WD, 4:10 gears.

It has 43,000 original miles and I'm the third owner.

It was originally purchased by a mason in central New Hampshire. Owned it for just a few years and retired. It sat for a long time and then the fellow I got it from bought it around 20 years ago and did a full frame off restoration somewhere around 2003.

You'll note that the bed is of much newer vintage.

Frame, running gear, nose, 1985 or 86. Cab is a 1995 but has the 1985 firewall grafted into it so as to be able to use the older style components.

The bed is of 1997 vintage. That will actually be coming off and being sold in favor of a wooden flatbed.

The last owner drove it as little as 300 miles per year over the last 20.

When I bought it I knew it needed a few things. Nothing major. Finishing up type stuff.

After we got it home I found out that it had a worn-out pinion bearing race and small chips in several teeth of the rear ring gear, likely due to the yoke being loose.

The rear end will be completely rebuilt because I'd like to treat this truck the way things should be done. 

As some of you know, for quite a while now I've wanted to get a hold of a 300-6 and wake it up a bit, so to speak.

This one is going to end up with the above intake and carb, later model EFI split exhaust manifolds, y-pipe going into single exhaust. Some sort of electronic ignition change and complete removal of all computer controlled engine components.

Because this truck sat for so long there's a lot of oil seals and gaskets that need attention. If one of those turns out to be the rear main seal or transmission front seal then I'll have to pull the engine and at that point I would also put in an RV/Torque cam.

When you figure the cost of insurance and all the electromagical  stuff it takes a highly paid mechanic to maintain, that truck will be a great financial move.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

tom2p
On 5/16/2021 at 8:12 PM, lynnmor said:

Not exactly a truck, but here is my 42 year old van.  Original paint, 8 passenger Beauville  complete with in dash AM, FM, CB and 8 track player.2143270564_IMG_2304(2).thumb.JPG.a26f022fb0a9566e5febfeccc1b7e6c1.JPG

see this neat van/rv at a local flea market now and then 

7C610BB9-A13C-45BF-9BC3-008D9B5646D7.jpeg

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1