PeacemakerJack

Vintage Trucks

Horse Newbie
6 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

So we were clearing some brush behind my house and found a crunched truck cab. ‘47/‘54 GMC. I love these trucks. Still have more to dig out but good for nothing but scrap. Keeping the emblems and whatever else I can keep for shop art when I get a shop :laughing-rolling: No telling what else is out there. I dontthink anyone around here ever threw anything away...... just pushed it out back.

6711EB83-0F39-45BE-B6F3-170C97A3A895.jpeg

8462D168-DF55-49D3-B7F9-D2FE1696B5D4.jpeg

9421AAFA-DB3E-4854-93C0-CC5BA1AD94B3.jpeg

1AC072BC-B101-4357-952A-00DFD413FF1F.jpeg

We had a small car graveyard behind our house that belonged to a man that ran an auto repair shop.

I was doing the same thing- clearing brush, and ran upon plenty of old BURIED car parts...door handles, mirrors, antennas, chrome/ stainless steel body molding.

I was amazed at how those pieces held up being buried in the soil...wish those old car parts could have talked...

• Like 3

19richie66
2 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

At least you are able to get things done this time off year instead of summer where stingers and fangs are hiding ready to strike. Cool find, was looking at used lathes on eBay and found this...

Screenshot_20210126-191643.png

Yeah no snakes in this cold weather. I want a lathe so bad 😢

bc.gold
12 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

At least you are able to get things done this time off year instead of summer where stingers and fangs are hiding ready to strike. Cool find, was looking at used lathes on eBay and found this...

Same lathe sold under many names, grizzly, and king. I'll post these images of the head-stock and see if you can pick out the weakness engineered into its design.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Pullstart

Looking for pictures of my enduro car, I found a couple fun ones to share.  I’ve always had a knack for creative loading techniques!

C1DDF547-6596-4150-BF9C-B521D22173FD.jpeg

AA8A3761-3065-4714-904F-9ADD0D0D95D9.jpeg

3BADCF05-7543-42D6-8A37-4D66E300C434.jpeg

8B3A7E66-C281-4D9B-9480-B3BC4BAECA6B.jpeg

7199C9ED-51A2-4AB4-9BB1-E5CC2E04E02A.jpeg

89A9891B-9298-4065-AFCE-FA262777036A.jpeg

• Like 1

Pullstart

Big or small, I’ll mud bog ‘em all!

39DCFBAD-27C9-4C29-92A8-EC64C20A375C.jpeg

E05B4587-37EB-4E16-B693-7539E8A04B1C.jpeg

45604F8D-37CA-43A4-9888-3A43DBE6D0FE.jpeg

• Like 1

19richie66

@PeacemakerJack here’s some for you 

001B0CFF-A21F-42DC-9C93-E4C132A2BFEF.jpeg

D52DAA4C-7090-4AEB-BFE9-34DCA4ACCE27.jpeg

D200D8C5-BA45-418A-B8DB-217B81EA73AD.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, 19richie66 said:

D52DAA4C-7090-4AEB-BFE9-34DCA4ACCE27.jpeg

That crew cab.....

PeacemakerJack

Those are beauty’s Richie...where did you find those—online or in person? I’ve always thought it would be super cool to own another Scout like my dad has or even a full size IH play truck.  Doubt that will happen any time soon—but, I can dream😎

• Like 1

19richie66
2 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Those are beauty’s Richie...where did you find those—online or in person? I’ve always thought it would be super cool to own another Scout like my dad has or even a full size IH play truck.  Doubt that will happen any time soon—but, I can dream😎

Online... would love to have the first one.

rjg854
5 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

001B0CFF-A21F-42DC-9C93-E4C132A2BFEF.jpeg

Oh I love the looks of that truck, it's bad @$$

• Like 2
  • Heart 2

JCM

Pulled the K-20 out this weekend for a warm up and some sunshine.

IMG_0663.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 2

Pullstart

Saw this sweet K10 at my niece’s birthday party this weekend...

EEC632C2-A665-4B22-87C2-F853C6EFE54C.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

bc.gold

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 2

WVHillbilly520H

20210213_101821.jpg

• Like 5
  • Heart 2

Tractorhead
6 hours ago, pullstart said:

Saw this sweet K10 at my niece’s birthday party this weekend...

EEC632C2-A665-4B22-87C2-F853C6EFE54C.jpeg

If that goes further that Way,

i fears my next Visit ends up a one way Fly ticket and a ride back with RoRo 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

JCM

I think on here somewhere I mentioned when I picked this Scottsdale R-30 up after it showed up at the dealer after waiting 3 months I drove it home and got 5 mpg with it.  454 TBI  4.10 rear 4 speed  trans. I thought I may have seen more than this as it sits Cab & Chassis. After panel body and loaded up with tools and equipment I ended up just over 7 mpg after break in. Still wouldn't change it for anything and boy was that a blast to drive without the body, of course I had to break it in the correct way for a few months before working it.    :thumbs:

Chevy 5.jpg

Chevy 4.jpg

Truck 10.jpg

Edited by JCM
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Tractorhead

I have a Chevy long bed closer in my visor it’s out of the 80‘s.

what you lads can say about the straight 6 Engines, are they worth a closer look?
To be honest i have no clue about the straight 6 Engines from GM.

It never will become a rocket i know that.
It shall be sold this year and looks very solid from the Body itself for a absolute reasonable price.

It was even possible for a History license, what bring it closer to my interest.
Is it worth a closer look, or is it a „keep your fingers away“ Engine?

I‘m like to use it as my daily worker,

it shall be reliable and i think it fit‘s now to my lifestyle.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H
17 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

what you lads can say about the straight 6 Engines, are they worth a closer look?

It shall be sold this year and looks very solid from the Body itself for a absolute reasonable price.

It was even possible for a History license, what bring it closer to my interest.

The biggest drawback of the last of the GM 250 straight 6s was the (1 piece) integral cast-in head/intake manifold , my father had an 81 2wd long bed 250 with the granny LO 4spd, decent runner nothing brag about... Here's some reading for you... https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/intergrated-heads-options-and-modification.1635/#:~:text=Between 1975 - 1984%2C an integrated,intakes for trucks after 1978.&text=The L22 was a 250,of torque with the 250.

• Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, JCM said:

I think on here somewhere I mentioned when I picked this Scottsdale R-30 up after it showed up at the dealer after waiting 3 months I drove it home and got 5 mpg with it.  454 EFI  4.10 rear 4 speed  trans. I thought I may have seen more than this as it sits Cab & Chassis. After panel body and loaded up with tools and equipment I ended up just over 7 mpg after break in. Still wouldn't change it for anything and boy was that a blast to drive without the body, of course I had to break it in the correct way for a few months before working it.    :thumbs:

Chevy 5.jpg

Chevy 4.jpg

Truck 10.jpg

I think I got between 7-9 mpg empty or loaded, definitely 454 with a Q-jet ,SM465 gears are either 3.73 or 4.10? (since I'm not the original owner who knows) and it weighed in at 7880# empty when I got 3 ton of stone for a grand total of 14080#...

1614033213432363129986639053484.jpg

• Like 2

Pullstart
14 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

Like :wh: tractors... Run don’t walk Stefan!  Go get it!  :happy-bouncyred:  The torque from an inline engine is very impressive.  Their reliability is quite amazing too!  These ones are pushing 450-ish horsepower.  

• Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
1 minute ago, pullstart said:

Like :wh: tractors... Run don’t walk Stefan!  Go get it!  :happy-bouncyred:  The torque from an inline engine is very impressive.  Their reliability is quite amazing too!  These ones are pushing 450-ish horsepower.  

They integral cylinder head (cast-in) intake manifold make this era inline 250 6 hard to "modify" for that kind of power, reliability/durability may not suffer IDK, but the 1981 my dad had, I rebuilt in high school Auto Mechanics Vo-Tech class that head/manifold weighed nearly as much as the block and a PITA to remove and reinstall for my 100# body back in 88/89.

• Like 1

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

They integral cylinder head (cast-in) intake manifold make this era inline 250 6 hard to "modify" for that kind of power, reliability/durability may not suffer IDK, but the 1981 my dad had, I rebuilt in high school Auto Mechanics Vo-Tech class that head/manifold weighed nearly as much as the block and a PITA to remove and reinstall for my 100# body back in 88/89.

Yes, these are surely not stock.  They sure can sing a beautiful song though!

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

Pullstart

Wow, what a mess!

WVHillbilly520H
13 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Wow, what a mess!

30+ years ago, quite the learning experience, and back breaking as well, milled/cleaned the gasket surfaces, regrinding the valves and seats, knurling the guides, didn't bore then block but honed and new rings and bearings, and possibly the timing gears, ran good for another 3 years before he got an '87 2wd LB with the 4.3 V6 3 on the tree and manual brakes very rare for the time ,last of the square body 1/2 tons.

• Like 2