PeacemakerJack

Vintage Trucks

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

.  I’m trying to figure out a way that I can buy it...

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

It is often easier to ask for forgiveness than to beg for permission.

Disclaimer:

I, ebinmaine, I am in no way shape or form considered to be a good role model.

:P

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1940willys

You know dam well that the time to buy it is when you see it. A guy I worked with bought a scout maybe 72/74ish, said it was a 4 cylinder. On lunch break I went out there to take a look at it. He pops the hood and there was something that blew my mind. Thought I was seeing things! There was a 8 cylinder block in that thing with only one bank of the block machined and had a cylinder head on it. The other side was as cast. I always wondered if the crank and other internals were for a eight cylinder. Sorry, I don't recall what it's CID it was. He said it always run good it just rusted away like they all do here in Western N.Y.s winters. Hey, let  me know how ya make out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ZXT

I agree with all of the above! Buy it! Scouts are cool and I personally like them more than Broncos, simply because they aren't Ford's. 

You mentioned it only has 93 HP. The 4 banger in my little 85 Toyota pickup was apparently only 90 HP before I swapped to an inline 6, but it would run 75 down the highway all day long! All it takes is the proper gearing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sarge

A Scout in that condition is close to the same market as the older Land Cruisers - it will not go down in value, only up from this point. If you can buy it and restore it to original equipment - worth even more money. Like the Cruiser, the Scout is not cheap nor easy to source parts, in fact, the Scouts are harder to find certain items and worth their weight in gold. But, long-term - a bit of work makes an investment that you can actually make money on later. My wife thought I was nuts investing the amount of money I dropped into my old Cruiser. I not only got it properly running and driving but drove it to work most of the time during the 7yrs I had it - and sold it for more than I had in it despite the continuing rust and rot. Certain models of trucks are more than just a collector's item or cool, some are flat-out Icons - the Scout is one of them.

Sarge

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat:  the original Scout 4 cal was a very interesting engine.  IH was looking into outsourcing an engine for the truck but they didn’t like the numbers that they were getting back.  The story that I have read indicates that one of their engineers said why don’t we just remove half of the engine that we already produce! They took the 304 and made the 152 which grew in 1966 to the 196 after the 304 became the 345CID.  My dad’s truck had the 196 in it.  It was a very durable engine except for one thing, the camshaft was prone to premature wear.  Dad’s Scout started and ran good no matter the weather or conditions.

As I have stated throughout this thread...I like all kinds of vintage trucks.  I have a special spot in my heart for the little Scouts though,  it was a neat vehicle that ended up defining a market segment that would grow through the years and continue in a variety of different makes and models today.  One of the things that I always liked about the Scout was the design of the exterior sheet metal. It was definitely a utilitarian vehicle and yet  had a neat look about it.  I just wish that the bodies were as durable as the drivetrains. Dad’s was only 9 years old when he bought it from a coworker and it already needed a bunch of bodywork!  Our Sienna minivan is 13 years old and still nearly rust free...that’s why the Scout pictured above is such a gem—mostly original and rust free!  Thanks for the input guys...

• Like 1

19richie66

So have you bought it yet? 😎

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

So have you bought it yet? 😎

THAT'S WHAT I WAS THINKING TOO !!!

• Haha 1

PeacemakerJack

Believe me...you guys would be the first to know if I had!:D  Wouldn’t that make a super cool “what’s in your mirror” post?  I’ve spent the last couple of days trying to figure out what I could sell/part with to bring that thing home:confusion-scratchheadblue: It sure would look cool in the shed sitting next to the GTO!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1940willys

Did ya post a pic of yer GTO on here some place?

PeacemakerJack
6 minutes ago, 1940willys said:

Did ya post a pic of yer GTO on here some place?

It’s on here in various spots however...

7565181E-4004-4718-B4F3-270A87995E19.jpeg.ff6dcc1fc2c4b75b21e4d77491ce580e.jpeg

Might as well add it to this vintage truck thread as well.

36AC7C78-7854-4712-A6F9-2B813E7B6E15.thumb.jpeg.a318dcf02776ce196a4d723155c37e05.jpeg

This was a chilly start to the last day that I drove it this fall.  About 35 degrees out and I took my two youngest to school in it...

9552087D-533A-438C-A451-199A1F7E8778.jpeg.a2fbe283b7248dc5a3a3d9294520e1fa.jpeg

They love riding in the ol’ Goat!  I’ve owned it for 20 years. Restored it with my dad and (then fiancé) Kelli.  We brought home all four kids from the hospital after their birth in it.  Kinda like a member of the family.  I can’t wait for the day that I get to ride shotgun as each one of them as earned the right to drive it! 

The legacy lives on!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

1940willys

you Sir have a nice look'n GTO and two nice boys. I hope Someday you do have that opportunity to dive shotgun. Only time will tell

• Thanks 1

chip61

Beautiful truck!  I always liked that body style and the next series of Fords (67-72)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

I bet thats a hoot to drive with that 460 in it. Beautiful truck.

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 1

p38js

Richie for some reason the back tires smoke a lot 

• Haha 5

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat:These are some great “blue ovals” guys.  @p38js how long has that truck been in your family?  Really nice heirloom truck for sure and not lacking for power or torque! It’s hard to explain to the young generation what “brake fade” is while they are driving ABS four wheel disc brake cars and trucks.  Try to describe bringing a four wheel non power drum brake vehicle to an unplanned stop quickly from a higher rate of speed to someone who’s never driven one!  

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack
21 hours ago, 1995 520H+96+97 said:

1966 Ford F-250, Camper Special, Custom Cab, 4x2, 352 V-8, 4 speed, Overdrive, Air conditioning.

DSC01618.JPG

Can you tell us more about this one please?  How long have owned it? Did you restore it? Original? Sharp truck for sure!

• Thanks 1

p38js

Peacemakerjack I would have to say he had that truck for about 20yrs.  And stopping the beast is always a treat you have to be on your game when driving.  I plan on putting power disc brakes on this spring.  To make it a little safer to drive

• Thanks 1

1995 520H+96+97
1 hour ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Can you tell us more about this one please?  How long have owned it? Did you restore it? Original? Sharp truck for sure!

I bought it in 1983, Mars Hill, Maine. Drove it to Caribou, ME. Took it apart, sandblasted cab, body and wheels. Took it to a friends body shop, dad and I had to make cab mounts, supports, floors, corners. Bought a new radiator support from Ford. Painted with acrilic enamel with hardener, Wimbledon white, Rangoon red. Rebuilt the engine and brakes, wire brush and zinc chrome-mate the frame.

Two years  later the white paint would rub off when I was washing it. Dad passed away in 2000. Mom sold the house in Caribou, moved here.

2008 I took it apart again. Rebuilt engine, installed overdrive. Took hood, fenders, doors, tailgate, toolbox, to a local body shop for base coat clear coat. Wire brushed frame ,painted black. Rebuilt engine stock, added a aluminum ford 4 barrel intake and a 4100 carb auto choke. Picked up parts at body shop.

Truck was drive able, ramp truck delivered to body shop to paint inside and out of cab and body. Ramp truck delivered to me I put it back together 2008, while working for MeDOT full time. Mom and I would use it In parades and car shows, and grocery's. Mom passed in 2015.

Edited by 1995 520H+96+97
  • Excellent 5

PeacemakerJack

I’ve been looking for this slide for a couple of years off and on when it comes to mind...

DFE77F67-8B3A-4015-9D44-873A1D0059FA.jpeg.73a898d8eaad1642c734420c887a73c0.jpeg

this was taken at my grandpas farm in about 1975.  My uncle Ken is standing on the left of the picture in front of my Aunt Karen’s 1971 Pontiac T-37 (a cheaper version of the GTO), my dad is getting ready to shut the door on his 1970 Nova, a keen eye will notice my Uncle Bob, Aunt Joyce, and kids (David and Lisa) in their orange 1972 K10 getting ready to leave, while uncle kens 1969 C20 is in the far background.  Nobody was looking twice at those daily drivers then...today they would draw a big crowd if in that condition parked in any parking lot or city driveway!!!

@WVHillbilly520H Jeff should be proud of all that “BowTie” action!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat: me too! Ol’ Jeff is liable to go hunting for that thing...:teasing-poke:

:D

• Haha 2