PeacemakerJack

Vintage Trucks

953 nut
3 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

‘55 Chev Rat Rod

Not a true Rat Rod, but I absolutely appreciate a mild custom with a suede finish, very nice!              :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

Dick—that brings up an interesting point...if and when you have time, you should give a tutorial with pics on the different levels and types of custom trucks. You have many years of experience with Rods and I would appreciate the lesson...

953 nut
22 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Dick—that brings up an interesting point...if and when you have time, you should give a tutorial with pics on the different levels and types of custom trucks. You have many years of experience with Rods and I would appreciate the lesson...

:confusion-confused:             Now that the NASCAR season is over I will probably have a little extra time available to do that.       :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

Can’t wait :popcorn:

• Haha 1

953 nut
19 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

OK,  you asked for it!      :ychain:

Understanding Automotive Lingo: 101

Much like the garden tractor hobby you’ve probably noticed that "car people" seem to have their own language and understanding them may occasionally require an interpreter. Automotive lingo certainly isn't intuitive, but with a little time and effort, you can become fluent in the native language. Here are some common car terms to help you get started

The lines drawn between many types of cars and trucks are a bit blurred from time to time and many vehicles can cross over to a few different classifications. Depending on the group you are addressing the same vehicle will be classified in different terms. As an example, my 1948 Ford Pick-up could be considered a Street Rod, a Custom (Kustom Kemp) or a Leadsled. It is NOT a Muscle Car, Classic, a Hot Rod, a Restorod or a Rat Rod.

olyella.jpg.1c56f5ad86d8671877884f145ada9a82.jpg

Street Rod; street rod is a vehicle manufactured prior to 1949, that has been modified for travel on today's highways. These street rods are designed and presented by their owners based on their vision and personal taste. Each street rod build should reflect the vision and pride that the owner/builder has in their car.

Image result for street rod trucks

Custom; A vehicle that has had its appearance modified according to the builder’s taste. It can be Mild or Wild!

Image result for street rod trucks

Kemp; slang word used by ‘50s and ‘60s teens meaning a car or truck. A Kustom Kemp was one that had been customized. The word “kemp” gained notoriety on TV when Ed “Kookie” Burnes used it often on “77 Sunset Strip”. You young pups will just have to look that one up! 

Leadsled; A vehicle that has been lowered (the lower the better) and has had its body lines smoothed including the removal of door handles and trim pieces. Most Leadsleds will also have a chopped top. Some Leadsleds will wear a shiny custom paint job and others will be adorned in a suede finish (flat paint job, frequently flat black).

Image result for lead sled truck

Classic; There doesn't seem to be a consensus when it comes to the definition of classic cars. The Classic Car Club of America identifies them as fine or distinctive cars manufactured between 1925 and 1948. However, a broader definition, which is widely accepted among car clubs, collectors, and hobbyists, is: vehicles 25 years and older.

Image result for restored trucks

Hot Rod; Similar to the street rod, the hot rod is an automobile of 1948 or earlier that has undergone some modernization to the engine, trans mission, interior, or anything else. A hot rod has a more "souped up" engine because it is designed for racing. The engine is often exposed.

Image result for hot rod trucks

RestoRod; A classic car that has retained its general appearance but has been updated with a multitude of modern parts, such as improved suspension, electronics, new drive train technology, and creature comforts.

Image result for restomod trucks

Rat Rod; The term "rat rod" refers to an unfinished appearance of a hot rod. Basically a hodge-podge of car parts. When a part does not work or needs to be replaced, you don't go to the store to buy a new piece, you simply find it from another vehicle ore whatever and attach it. Frequently a collection of non-automotive parts like old wrenches, horseshoes, chains and other “Found Items” will be used as bumpers, door handles, steering wheels etc.

Image result for rat rod trucks

Muscle Car; Some believe the GTO was the first muscle car, but others argue that early Chrysler 300s were the first cars to flex their muscles. Regardless of which car was the first, it is widely accepted that medium-size cars built in the '60s and early '70s, that have high performance engines and light-weight bodies, are muscle cars.

Image result for chrysler 300 1960  Image result for chrysler 300 1960

These are not the only classes of collector cars, they are just the ones being covered in this thread. If I didn’t include your favorite, please feel free to tag onto this.

Within each sub-group you can find a huge variety of options. I will list a few.

§     Pro-Touring, Pro-Street -- If a vehicle is pro-touring or a pro-street, then it has received performance enhancements to make it extremely fast, frequently including oversized rear tires, but still legal to drive on the street.

§     Clones, Tributes, Continuations -- Clones, tributes, and continuations are all terms to describe vehicles that have been modified from stock configurations to resemble a special model edition for that vehicle. Two examples of these vehicle types are: creating a Shelby look-alike from a base mustang, and modifying a standard Road Runner into a Superbird.

§     Pony Cars -- The original pony cars were Ford Mustangs, but other high-performance vehicles, such as Barracudas and Camaros, are also considered pony cars. Typical characteristics of these American four-seater sports cars are long hoods and short decks (trunks).

§     Chopping , Channeling -- Removing a section of the upper part of the vehicle's body to achieve a narrower window opening is called chopping. Lowering a vehicle's body without changing the suspension is called channeling.

§     Fuely -- A fuely car is one that uses fuel injection instead of a carburetor to regulate gas supplied to the engine.

§     Deuce Coupe -- A Deuce Coupe is a customized 1932 Ford two-seater.

§     Three on the Tree -- When a car has a three-speed transmission lever mounted on the steering column, it is said to have three on the tree.

§     Rag Top -- A convertible car is otherwise known as a rag top.

§     Blown (i.e., a blown vehicle) -- If a supercharger has been installed between the fuel delivery system and intake manifold of the motor, then the vehicle is referred to as Blown.

§     Woodie -- A vehicle of choice for surfers on outings to the beach, a Woodie is a '40s or '50s station wagon, with a wooden body or exterior wood trim.

§     T-Bucket -- A T-Bucket is a Model T Ford that has been stripped of fenders and engine cowling, and has been upgraded with a V8 engine.

§     Suicide Doors -- Doors that are hinged toward the rear and open facing forward are called suicide doors.

§     Frenched Headlights -- Headlights that have been customized by recessing the lens inside the headlight bucket are referred to as Frenched Headlights.

§     Dual Quads -- If an engine has two four-barrel carburetors, then it has dual quads.

§     Six Pack -- A vehicle has a six pack if it has three two-barrel carburetors installed on its engine.

§     Tubbed Out -- A car has been tubbed out if a major modification has been made to the rear wheel wells so that very wide tires can be installed.

§     Trailer Queen --Cars driven sparingly, and only for very short distances, are called Trailer Queens. Typically, these vehicles are transported by trailer, whenever possible.

§     Matching Numbers Vehicle -- For the purist, to be a matching numbers vehicle, original, factory-installed components would have to be in chassis. A somewhat looser definition for a matching numbers vehicle would be one that has the correct, matching date code stamped on both the drive train components and the chassis.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@953 nut Thanks Dick interesting. What would you consider a 1984 El Camino SS Choo Choo ? ( also has matching numbers )

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

§     Pro-Touring, Pro-Street -- If a vehicle is pro-touring or a pro-street, then it has received performance enhancements to make it extremely fast, frequently including oversized rear tires, but still legal to drive on the street.

§     Tubbed Out -- A car has been tubbed out if a major modification has been made to the rear wheel wells so that very wide tires can be installed.

I would like to add a couple things to the above...PRO TOURING is really more about handling especially timed slalom courses where the suspension and sometimes the entire chassis/frame is changed out in the quest of "driving on rails"  (also wearing low profile wide tires on plus sized wheel diameters on all 4 corners as well as upgraded larger diameter brake rotors and 4-6 piston calipers) through twists and turns and cones pulling as many lateral "Gs" without flipping said vehicle truck or car and should NOT be lumped with the PRO STREET style of vehicles which are more of a street legal Drag Car that has been TUBBED or fitted with a narrowed rear axle/suspension and extremely wide rear tires commonly referred to as "steam rollers" for superior traction off the starting line for 1/8-1/4 mile blasts, and running very narrow front tires for less rolling resistance in a straight line...again just adding to the above and more of my experiences of the past nearly 30 years, Jeff.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Excellent 3

squonk
40 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@953 nut Thanks Dick interesting. What would you consider a 1984 El Camino SS Choo Choo ? ( also has matching numbers )

I'd call it a stock matching numbers 1984 El Camino SS Choo Choo! :ychain::text-imsorry::)

Man I feel old. I'm older than most of these trucks. Worked on or used a lot of them and retired from auto repair before some of these were produced! :hide:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

elcamino/wheelhorse
7 minutes ago, squonk said:

I'd call it a stock matching numbers 1984 El Camino SS Choo Choo! :ychain::text-imsorry::)

Man I feel old. I'm older than most of these trucks. Worked on or used a lot of them and retired from auto repair before some of these were produced! :hide:

I know the feeling , what happened to the trucks where you opened the hood and saw the spark plug wires and spark plugs . Plus you were able to sit in the engine bay and work on stuff

• Like 3

953 nut
19 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I would like to add a couple things to the above...PRO TOURING is really more about handling especially timed slalom courses where the suspension and sometimes the entire chassis/frame is changed out in the quest of "driving on rails"  (also wearing low profile wide tires on plus sized wheel diameters on all 4 corners as well as upgraded larger diameter brake rotors and 4-6 piston calipers) through twists and turns and cones pulling as many lateral "Gs" without flipping said vehicle truck or car and should NOT be lumped with the PRO STREET style of vehicles which are more of a street legal Drag Car that has been TUBBED or fitted with a narrowed rear axle/suspension and extremely wide rear tires commonly referred to as "steam rollers" for superior traction off the starting line for 1/8-1/4 mile blasts, and running very narrow front tires for less rolling resistance in a straight line...again just adding to the above and more of my experiences of the past nearly 30 years, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff, obviously that list was a cut and paste job from a site I found on the internet, they do need to be separate listings.

59 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

A limited edition classic Stove Bolt Hauler! I love the nose on them.

Image result for choo choo customs el camino

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

squonk

One of the last places I worked the owner had His n Her's Choo Choo's :occasion-xmas:

elcamino/wheelhorse
1 hour ago, squonk said:

One of the last places I worked the owner had His n Her's Choo Choo's :occasion-xmas:

Do you have to take you shoes off to count all the places you worked :ROTF:

• Haha 4

Pullstart

It’s obviously in dire need of attention, but I fired up the C-10 tonight.  I sure do miss that sound!

It’s powered by an ‘86 350 with a good cam and intake.  The carb is a Summit Racing 650 CFM.  Still a 3 on the tree.  So much fun to drive!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

Kevin—that is music to my ears!  My ol’ Goat is now tucked away for the long winters nap and so I don’t get to hear that until the spring.  I’ve got to put a new exhaust on the ‘95 Pickup in a week or so but it doesn’t have a cam like your C10-thus it won’t have that sweet thumpity-thump sound.  I look forward to the day that you post a video of you driving that truck! 

• Like 2

12 hp Kohler

I picked this up recently. It’s a 1961 international harvester c120 3/4 ton with a Chevy 350 and a turbo 400. This is my first vehicle and after a lot of time and money this will be my daily driver and my horse hauler.

82B977A7-19C7-4F0A-B532-D81BABF96E5C.jpeg.b920a75abf9e7c75f9a102c5c1b2e5ab.jpegE10CE2E7-5E68-47FA-9866-87DD6B105CF5.jpeg.c9e4dc6abd1790290470e9557ca17505.jpeg74C75F66-8954-4E89-A426-8C916538736F.jpeg.946101d811e2fe7887849496b2619199.jpegD6DA1AD6-D626-43E3-A7F9-3CE430E60863.jpeg.9db19c9e22cdd5cd07e1f2388d37c10c.jpeg

60D09B0D-B0BE-4FC2-9743-30BA744CFBFD.jpeg

Edited by 12 hp Kohler
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 6
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
2 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Kevin—that is music to my ears!  My ol’ Goat is now tucked away for the long winters nap and so I don’t get to hear that until the spring.  I’ve got to put a new exhaust on the ‘95 Pickup in a week or so but it doesn’t have a cam like your C10-thus it won’t have that sweet thumpity-thump sound.  I look forward to the day that you post a video of you driving that truck! 

Well, that’s “Old Smokey”, our ‘69 Sheby.  Taylor and I took our honeymoon a couple years after we got married, and planned to head to California to search for a 67-72.  The plan was to fly in, find something somewhere, drive it home.  We found this maybe 5 weeks before we left, just an hour or so from home.  The one way trip became a round trip flight and we enjoyed the west coast for a week.  

The truck was a 307 3 on the tree and quite cherry.  The seller taught me how to shift the pattern, then we made a deal (so long as I didn’t hack it up) and we drove home.  In that hour, it smoked about 2 quarts of oil, bad valve quiets is my guess.  Well, Taylor was a circle track racer and we had her old race engine on a stand (built for endurance races)  that had been sitting quite a while.  Well, I swapped the race engine in, in the middle of winter in our gravel/mud driveway.  Ends up, something dri d up and that engine ate just as much if not more oil than the original!  I had an ‘86 Chevy truck with a broken frame that I had bought for plow truck parts... so that became the next engine donor.  While it was out, I hopped it up with my favorite budget cam set and 1.6:1 rockers from Northern Auto Parts.  The intake I had laying around and the carb was added at a later date.  It feels like a blast from the past going down the road, so smooth and one with the blacktop with the manual steering and manual brakes.  I’ll see if I can find more pictures of it some day :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
10 hours ago, 12 hp Kohler said:

I picked this up recently. It’s a 1961 international harvester c120 3/4 ton with a Chevy 350 and a turbo 400. This is my first vehicle and after a lot of time and money this will be my daily driver and my horse hauler.

82B977A7-19C7-4F0A-B532-D81BABF96E5C.jpeg.b920a75abf9e7c75f9a102c5c1b2e5ab.jpegE10CE2E7-5E68-47FA-9866-87DD6B105CF5.jpeg.c9e4dc6abd1790290470e9557ca17505.jpeg74C75F66-8954-4E89-A426-8C916538736F.jpeg.946101d811e2fe7887849496b2619199.jpegD6DA1AD6-D626-43E3-A7F9-3CE430E60863.jpeg.9db19c9e22cdd5cd07e1f2388d37c10c.jpeg

60D09B0D-B0BE-4FC2-9743-30BA744CFBFD.jpeg

That’s th best first truck I’ve seen in a long time Robbie!  Nice score!

Edited by pullstart
  • Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

@12 hp Kohler Robbie that will  be a nice project . have fun fixing it up.

• Like 3

953 nut
8 hours ago, 12 hp Kohler said:

will be my daily driver and my horse hauler.

:text-coolphotos:        Robbie, those old IH trucks will haul a ton without even knowing it is there. My uncle had a '60 half ton that was so stout that you needed to have a load in it just to get a smooth ride!           :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

squonk

74C75F66-8954-4E89-A426-8C916538736F.jpeg.946101d811e2fe7887849496b2619199.jpg.812da1e0342ebccc53f288ff37db8918.jpg

Lots of cool stuff under the hood. Vacuum operated heat riser, complete with one way check and thermal vac switch. Vac operated heater valve.Hot air choke stat with vac operated pull off. EGR, 2 jet carb. Good old HEI ignition. Mexican (Manual) steering and single master cly. :banana-wrench::banana-wrench::banana-wrench:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
10 hours ago, pullstart said:

Well, that’s “Old Smokey”, our ‘69 Sheby.  Taylor and I took our honeymoon a couple years after we got married, and planned to head to California to search for a 67-72.  The plan was to fly in, find something somewhere, drive it home.  We found this maybe 5 weeks before we left, just an hour or so from home.  The one way trip became a round trip flight and we enjoyed the west coast for a week.  

The truck was a 307 3 on the tree and quite cherry.  The seller taught me how to shift the pattern, then we made a deal (so long as I didn’t hack it up) and we drove home.  In that hour, it smoked about 2 quarts of oil, bad valve quiets is my guess.  Well, Taylor was a circle track racer and we had her old race engine on a stand (built for endurance races)  that had been sitting quite a while.  Well, I swapped the race engine in, in the middle of winter in our gravel/mud driveway.  Ends up, something dri d up and that engine ate just as much if not more oil than the original!  I had an ‘86 Chevy truck with a broken frame that I had bought for plow truck parts... so that became the next engine donor.  While it was out, I hopped it up with my favorite budget cam set and 1.6:1 rockers from Northern Auto Parts.  The intake I had laying around and the carb was added at a later date.  It feels like a blast from the past going down the road, so smooth and one with the blacktop with the manual steering and manual brakes.  I’ll see if I can find more pictures of it some day :handgestures-thumbupright:

I found some more pics on this link.  The little monster playing in the driveway and in the truck is Jada.  The day we took those pictures, I knew it will be her truck some day.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=452450

I took some snapshots from the other site to post here, sorry for the choppiness, I was zoomed in a bit.  The back window picture of Jada in the driver’s seat is one of my favorite pictures, that was “the one” that told me this will be her truck some day and I’m just the keeper of it for now.

the lifted truck was a project, I cut down a long box frame and put this body on it.  Here is a link to that build...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=400022

340BDB39-75E8-4C0B-9EB7-E41F031162DF.png

D70099FF-8E45-4141-99C1-6D81D9E91AF4.png

8784E3A0-362E-48D2-841E-14D1D1E0F029.png

E050C47F-E62E-435F-94B0-1A2ECDB04EAA.png

35E93E02-C2DD-4E9F-9E7D-088A02096B9F.png

DB560FFA-86D8-44FB-B559-7C6B8DF4B211.png

3B483BAC-E393-4631-BF31-8CDA290DCF34.png

18BA89D6-11C6-4DB1-841A-88A66E4B188C.png

F72725B8-92B8-4321-9D3F-71665BA72217.png

3975049B-B13C-48A5-8E4C-FD74CC1B18B0.png

BE1BF806-C8C9-4947-80B1-55D6085184C2.png

6A8AED67-1960-46B6-877C-1DD9FFCAE0AB.png

B9FBAAF4-59ED-435F-B6FA-72CF600EEC4D.png

660C35D5-D454-42B1-99FF-108962C5FDF7.png

18EBBC8F-4FE6-4E7A-9E20-58AC73367E1B.png

E5BC337B-2E8C-4F5B-BAA9-5014C4AFA2A8.png

Edited by pullstart
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

wheelhorseman

Nice work Kevin!!!

• Thanks 1

12 hp Kohler

i was originally looking for the 70s and 80s Chevy trucks because i love the look of them. I almost bought a 1971 chevy k20 but it was sold before i got to look at it. When i found the international i just couldn't pass it up, and it was chevy powered so that's good enough for me. Now i'm stuck with a 1961 international rust bucket that parts are very hard to find for :think: 

It will be a cool truck when i am finished though. I gave LOTS of plans for it, i will just say that :lol:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ztnoo

Interesting IH project.

Don't you just love the way Photobucket watermarks subscriber's photos now? :ranting: .......if you can swallow hard enough to choke down the subscription fee.

• Sad 1

PeacemakerJack

Thanks for all the :text-coolphotos: Kevin of “Ol’ Smokey”.  After looking through them all, I would definitely say that Jada has a it her brand on that truck.  What great tastes she has!  Keep taking pictures of her and the truck as she grows up—those will be priceless in the future. Just think how awesome she will be in high school driving a vintage GM pickup!

@12 hp Kohler great find on that IH pickup.  I love the body lines on that thing and the tough as nails drivetrain.  It will take some research to find the parts you need for it but when you get it done, it will be a very cool and unique truck!  When you get to restoring it, please start a thread, I’d love to follow along...

• Like 1