PeacemakerJack

Vintage Trucks

bc.gold

Another older truck in our Village, 56 International half ton, the granddaughter in Victoria BC has been gifted this truck from the estate of the late owner.

There's yet another truck that of interest to me, a 1963 Ford half ton unibody with a 292 cid under the hood. Located on raw farmland so it's going to take some detective work to source out the owner.

Not truck related but one property I cam across has dozens of Datsun 240 and 260Z's. I had dozens of way-points with unique treasures marked on my GPS but lost all when my truck was stolen. Truck was recovered but not the GPS.

Last image Uni-body Ford for reference.

international.png

unibody.png

• Like 4

PeacemakerJack

@bcgold Don’t Give up when someone tells you know, periodically drop another hint or offer.  You never know when someone will change their mind or when circumstances will do it for them.  

Thanks guys for all these great pictures and stories.  So many cool trucks represented in this thread and I’m looking forward to more in the future!

• Thanks 1

bc.gold
4 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

@bcgold Don’t Give up when someone tells you know, periodically drop another hint or offer.  You never know when someone will change their mind or when circumstances will do it for them.  

Thanks guys for all these great pictures and stories.  So many cool trucks represented in this thread and I’m looking forward to more in the future!

She called back this afternoon asking if I wold be interested in renting the house which she has had it listed for the past three years. Our village has one store with the owner retiring at the end of the year and the bar was lost due to financial combustion about eight years ago.

• Haha 1

wh315-8

How about a 1997 Ram 2500 4x4. Only 78600 miles. Ordered her from the factory, St. Louis (no longer there) took 3 months to get her. No leaks, no rust. Brought me home 7 WH & a Jacobsen Chief . She's hauled just about everything. Firewood every winter, blocks, bricks, lumber, sand, gravel, furniture, it fits its hauled. Covered bridge is near Sunbury, OH. I'll post a pic of full p/u later. Than there is the one that pays for my toys. Tractor is not old, but the tanker gets rebuilt every 10 years. Some go back to the 80's.

IMG950708.jpg

07 2015.jpg

20181118_145204.jpg

Edited by wh315-8
Add pic
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 5

Mows4three

My first pickup was a '52 Ford with a straight six and three on the column.   Had been a service truck for the Bell Telephone Company.  It originally wore a dull olive drab green paint but the farmer I bought it from painted it robin's egg blue with a brush.  

It had a 6 volt system that disliked any weather colder than 50 degrees.  I never changed it over to 12 volt, just selectively parked it on a slope wherever I took it and caught it in second gear.  Side vent windows, a center console cowl vent and two vents on the inside panels near your feet provided more than enough air circulation in the summer.  It had virtually no capacity for heating in the winter.  

The windshield wipers were vacuum actuated and would stop moving when you pressed the accelerator going up a big hil, which in western Pennsylvania meant half of your traveling was up one side of a hill.  It had a wooden bed which I replaced with fresh cut white oak from my buddy's sawmill.  All of the trim was polished stainless steel.   

I really loved that truck.   Tooled around in it for several years until I decided that I needed FWD.  I sold the '52 Ford to a friend who eventually did a full frame up restoration on it and finished it in candy apple red with so many clear top coats you thought you could bury your finger in the paint.  

Ended up buying a '76 Ford 3/4 ton Highboy with a four speed on the floor, Warn hubs and a 360 under the hood.   Found a 390 truck engine with extra heavy main bearing reinforcements and built my first complete engine. 

Love me a good ol' Ford pickup!

Cheers!

Dave

IMG_4496.jpg

IMG_4424.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

Some great trucks there guys!  Lee...that Toyota must feel like a member of the family after nearly 40 years of ownership.  So glad that you hung on to it and have now breathed into it a dose of new life.  If you have any old photos of it laying around from years past, snap some pics of them and post here please.  I’ll bet you have a ton or memories and stories with that little truck!

I like those Fords as well!  That second picture looks like it could be placed in a magazine.  It is funny how trucks used to be primarily for work vehicles but in the last 20-25 years have morphed more into status symbols.  I appreciate vintage show trucks for sure but it is so cool to see pics of them “earning their keep”!  

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

May not be a truck, but towed this Chevy here while back when the rear end locked up on it, of course I guess the old 90 model Ford wrecker is getting closer and closer to classic status as well

FB_IMG_1542508263350.jpg

• Like 3

wh315-8

Very cool K20 JCM. I Owned a K10 4x4 1986 short bed. Bought new, had it for 10 years. Always liked that body style. Like your color combination. Hard to think that a 1986 would be an Antique. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat: What a great truck Jim!  You sure ordered a dandy all those years ago and had the foresight to hang on to it.  That is a great looking square body and I’m glad you shared the :text-coolphotos: with us!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1995 520H+96+97
2 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

:text-yeahthat: What a great truck Jim!  You sure ordered a dandy all those years ago and had the foresight to hang on to it.  That is a great looking square body and I’m glad you shared the :text-coolphotos: with us!

:text-yeahthat:    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

That’s a beauty Kevin—time to ask him what he wants for it:thumbs:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

bc.gold

First car 1947 Hudson, super 6, wet cork clutch in oil, 22.5 ft bumper to bumper. Hudson made some awesome cars and trucks. The hood is hinged at the front opening forward. No hoods lost at high speeds, my second car was a 1955 ford, 272, three on the tree with 4.11 gears, one day the hood flew up and ripped right off the hinges.

The Ford Y-Block https://www.enginelabs.com/news/historic-engines-the-ford-y-block-v8-of-the-1950s/

https://www.thegentlemanracer.com/2014/03/the-fabulous-hudson-hornet.html

Current land speed record for a 1952 Hudson unlimited class is: 138.054 MPH set by Kann, Adams, and Johnson Racing Team in 1993 at Bonneville Slat Flats, Utah. On September 13, 1998 this Hudson clocked 120.887 on the North pass and a return of 124.479 for an average speed of 122.683.

Not bad for a little L-head 6 cylinder engine.

The bottom image is one I tool of an old car resting in a field, it maybe an early Hudson.

goog1.png

goog.jpg

goog3.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 7

ZXT

I grew up in a family that has always liked old cars & trucks.. Here are a few that I own. I was born in 97, but I don't consider much after the mid 80's "classic". Not yet, anyways.

This was my "first" truck. I had one other at this time (at age 15) but this is the one i drove. 84 W150 with at first a 360/auto, then a 318 and lastly before I (regrettably) sold it, a 273. Only vehicle I've ever sold. Got rid of it to buy a 3/4 ton that was better suited for hauling.

10550919_836651873020454_8158312949487055892_n.jpg.b129d096805603064fb193e20fd8e7df.jpg

Selling that led to this, a 99 2500 V10/auto truck that was at my local salvage yard about to have another truck sat on top of it. Thought that was incredibly stupid, and I wanted a V10 (though I really wanted a long bed 5 speed), so I saved it. Had 0 compression in the #9 cylinder, and I could hardly see the rocker arms for the gunk buildup. Swapped it and its been great since.19883971_1605175956168038_3761021244019077257_n.jpg.55101ec00bb450ddee37213478e3a928.jpg

This one is one of my current projects that I've neglected. Bought it from a Mexican guy that was going to haul it off for $150. 68 D200, 318/granny 4 speed. Been off the road since 75. #8 cylinder full of water. Debating to go back with another 318 or put one of my spare big blocks in.

IMG_0161.PNG.7413630cb8f62d9b68b8badf7b4329a6.PNG

This was my first to own, given to me by my dad. Currently in the process of LS swapping it. 65 El Camino, 5.3/5 speed.14111805_864019367061856_368939115_n.jpg.9db96d80fd7ffb77851d740c5c8487fe.jpg

This is another project that I didn't need, but for $200 I figured why not, since I didn't have any older short beds. Originally a 225/4 speed overdrive, but I'm putting a FI 318 magnum with a 5 speed.

IMG_1124.JPG.0da52479090b6f30339cbb6ce6496231.JPG

Lastly, not a truck but I will be bringing this home to add to the herd this weekend if I get a chance. 81 Porsche 928 5 speed. 4.5 V8. This will make 4 928's for me. IMG_3127.JPG.f39490d4cfacde61b0766ff4c8113408.JPG

Probably too many pictures, but I'm sitting here bored and not able to work on my new Horse. I may not have a problem collecting Horses, but I do seem to have one when it comes to cars...these pics are only part of them. Now i just need the money to work on all of them. I'm more of a Dodge and Chevy guy.. and I don't care a bit for post-60s fords.

Things down here don't rust thankfully.

Edited by ZXT
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 3

PeacemakerJack

@ZXT i’m Fairly sure that there is no such thing as “too many pictures” for us on the forum!  Wow! What a cool variety of old trucks and even a Porsche.  Thanks for sharing those. You had best be “very” thankful for the lack of vehicular Rot down there...that is the number one problem with older and even some newer vehicles here!  If I lived in a southern, salt free climate, I would own and drive nothing but vintage vehicles.  Maybe repowered with modern drivetrain for daily reliability but I’d drive an old Chevy, dodge, or Ford like the ‘68 that you own for work every day if I lived out of the “salt belt”.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ZXT

Thanks, Jack!

I am incredibly thankful for the lack of rust down here. If I had to deal with extreme rust, I don't think I could do it. I'm a member of numerous forums, and on one of them in particular (one for 90s dodge trucks) I see pictures posted with the rockers completely gone, fenders half way eaten off, and others putting their truck away for the winter months.. I don't think mine has been stored inside a day in its life and the frame still has paint on it.

I strive to only drive older cars. The complexity and lack of character of newer ones is a turn-off to me. My daily drivers are the 99 dodge and a 85 Toyota pickup, but I'd like to drive older. The LS swap in the El Camino is being done for reliability and economy sake.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
46 minutes ago, ZXT said:

. I may not have a problem collecting Horses

It's ok.... You will soon enough.

:ROTF:

:wh:

Wonderful assortment of trucks there!!

I'll know who to call when I want a new ride...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

PeacemakerJack

So...I’m just chilling out at mom and dad’s with the family for Thanksgiving and this thread was brought up by @ZXT once again.  It got me thinking about some pics that I had promised you guys on the first page or so.  They were in photo albums in the basement and so I wandered down and will record them here for posterity.

This was was my uncle Bob’s 1972 Chevy K10 that he owned for about 35 years.  This picture was taken in 1982 when my dad refurbished the body for him.  Dad is a decent “non professional” body guy and Bob’s truck was showing quite a bit of rust by the time it was only 10 years old. 

F4F293E0-990F-494A-AFD2-7302933481CE.jpeg.09d8a2433dc05aac6871c22769441a1d.jpeg

Dad spent one week on the project and this is how it turned out...

9653F309-E33E-4492-A68F-02724DB8EC62.jpeg.01c87b4807e722aed03db1faa480ee5f.jpeg

757944CF-5987-4657-B517-7E24A46F65E6.jpeg.8a40cdd831da510417178c29d64ae957.jpeg

It was an orangey red color and I always felt it was one of the coolest looking trucks ever made. (Note uncle Ken’s blue 1969 C20 in the background as well as dad’s ‘66 Scout)

BD553676-AD90-45CB-B8EA-AF479694B454.jpeg.009e76d21fbc4f8cf164228495b3cb20.jpeg

It’s funny how certain memories stand out in your mind.  That is me in the front of the picture followed by my cousin Andrea.  My cousin Paul is in the back of the truck.  We were in the truck bed together playing and we started arguing about something.  I was old enough to get down out of the truck by myself and so I did and left him complaining by himself!  (Photo: circa 1982)

While looking for the pics of Bob’s truck I came across this.  I was about 5 years old and had been bugging Dad for a year to build me a fort (girls have playhouses, boys have forts!😂). Dad is wearing the hat nailing the floor joists while my mom’s brother Uncle Jim is painting the uprights and I’m the happy assistant.  Dad finished the joists and laid a couple of boards across them before he had to go in the house and get ready for the evening service. Before heading in he looked at me and said, “Don’t go up on the fort floor yet! It isn’t finished and you’ll fall and get hurt.” “OK Dad!”  After he went in the house, I looked around and thought to myself that I could climb the ladder, look around, and climb back down AND NO ONE WOULD EVER KNOW!  I climbed up and took one step, the board flipped up, I fell through the joists hitting the back of my head on the joist as I fell through and hit my chin on those wooden saw horses you see in the picture.  I got up crying and ran to the house.  Dad met me at the back door.  He looked me over once and said,

“You went up on the fort didn’t you!”  

“yes” (through my sobs)

”Go do it again!!!”

“No” (crying)

“Go right out there, climb the ladder and do it again!”

”No” (starting to sober up now)

“If you won’t listen maybe you need to do it again until you learn to obey!”

”I’ve learned my lesson!”

Dad was and is so smart! 36 years later and I still remember it like yesterday!

C8A007BF-7864-4828-8DC2-F709EB31AE13.jpeg.d894b8c3dd5a97a1e45182b0e690ee83.jpeg

Notice the Scout in the background.  It was part of the fabric of our life just like the Wheel Horse 875.

5C58D7A9-75B6-4BC1-932F-8EFFE3BBB4BD.jpeg.7163ec6202fbad5cee1c83b3dd764178.jpeg

We also had the above pictured 1971 Ford LTD wagon that we travelled the country in the early days of the ministry.  It was a beast of a car but a smooth over  the road machine...

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

ZXT

Awesome pictures and story, Jack! Stories like that make me miss the times that I wasn't fortunate enough to experience. I would give almost anything to have been born about 50 years earlier.

I've always loved the looks of the 67-72 Chevy trucks. It's always seemed they lacked in the area of footwell space though.

I'm going to guess that you didn't climb back up that structure again until your dad said you could! Lol!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack
24 minutes ago, ZXT said:

I’m going to guess that you didn't climb back up that structure again until your dad said you could! Lol!

No doubt!  I think I’m still rubbing my chin...:lol:  That type of instruction has made me into the man that I am today and I’m Thankful for it.  

Since we can’t go back in time and live those days, we can enjoy the stories and pictures from those who have blazed the trail ahead of us.  That is one of the sweet things about owning and using the old pieces of equipment—takes me back to those days, some I lived and some that were before me.

• Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

bc.gold

I much prefer nickel plating rather than modern day chrome which is stark in comparison to nickels softer luster.

Some of the odd things that I collect, not sure what vehicles these came from as often I only find a crumpled fender or the odd door laying hidden in the tall nettles over taking an old home-site.

1hn.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Built a house this summer for a guy who is a big gearhead. He has owned a Chevelle for over 20 years.  However, he purchased this ‘55 Chev Rat Rod this summer...

A116CA95-12DE-4F0B-B9D8-ABB69605B1E5.jpeg.7401f0d1581a3151d4e5932fe26437c3.jpeg

It has a bunch of custom touches throughout but there are still some things that Dan wants to do to it to personalize it to his exact tastes.

05A4A137-1711-4370-BAA5-3C1B8782474B.jpeg.8259fe4839f82542655f9a35bdeb74cd.jpeg

He plans on daily driving it in the summers.  It has a nice late model 350 in it and a solid drivetrain and so it should accomplish that goal pretty well...

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5