PeacemakerJack

Vintage Trucks

shallowwatersailor
3 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Those ole Detroit's were reliable IMO but being 2 cycle/stroke they have a tendency to leak oil, they were used in any thing from from farm/industrial and Marine applications from 2 to16 cylinders,  @shallowwatersailor John having worked on them in the Coast Guard he would be one to tell the pros and cons with the engines as far as parts Detroit is still making engines but keeping up with the EPA now 4 stroke and before GM split up everything it was actually Detroit Diesel /Allison(transmisson) subsidiary plus they used the roots type blower for boost before turbos became big, Jeff.

The Detroit Diesel 71 Series engines were very simple to work on - but heavy.  Parts commonality was maintained through all versions and could be set to run in either direction. The 30-foot boats had one 6-71 with a single screw but the 40 foot boats had two with twin screws. When reassembling them we had to watch that we didn't set them for opposite rotation. They were simple to work on as there were only intake valves and the injectors in the head. The Roots blower scavenged the cylinders for exhaust while on the downstroke. Injectors were easy to take apart and then lap the parts on a rebuild. Fuel was delievered by a common rail and the pressure was built to fire in the injector. Timing was easy as well. The difficult section was the blower with all the clearances that had to be set. There were something like - if I remember correctly - about 140 measurements to be taken with very long feeler gauges. The blower screws ran together with little more than the thickness of a piece of paper! 

The two Jimmy 6-53 engines in the 44-Foot motor lifeboats were a different story.

• Thanks 2

Horse Newbie

IMG_163483052571963.jpegMy 1981 Toyota Hi Lux 4x4 Long Bed

IMG_163483052571963.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

PeacemakerJack
31 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

My 1981 Toyota Hi Lux 4x4 Long Bed

IMG_163483052571963.jpeg

My uncle had a 1985 Toyota that he absolutely loved. Drove it until it got so much rust that the frame began to break. Had a turbo on it from the factory and overall was a fun little truck.  That one there is beautiful...:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

19richie66

I'd love to have an older S-10 with an LS and a 5 speed. What a ride that would be.

• Like 3

slim67
10 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

The Detroit Diesel 71 Series engines were very simple to work on - but heavy.  Parts commonality was maintained through all versions and could be set to run in either direction. The 30-foot boats had one 6-71 with a single screw but the 40 foot boats had two with twin screws. When reassembling them we had to watch that we didn't set them for opposite rotation. They were simple to work on as there were only intake valves and the injectors in the head. The Roots blower scavenged the cylinders for exhaust while on the downstroke. Injectors were easy to take apart and then lap the parts on a rebuild. Fuel was delievered by a common rail and the pressure was built to fire in the injector. Timing was easy as well. The difficult section was the blower with all the clearances that had to be set. There were something like - if I remember correctly - about 140 measurements to be taken with very long feeler gauges. The blower screws ran together with little more than the thickness of a piece of paper! 

The two Jimmy 6-53 engines in the 44-Foot motor lifeboats were a different story.

I had the pleasure to drive an old Mack R-700 with an 8V-71. You had to rev that out for every shift and it had a 10 speed fuller. Dual stacks to boot. An oddball truck for sure( since Mack had their own V-8) but I was told Roadway had them for pulling doubles. Detroits were also used in Terex heavy equipment and were just plain loud.

• Thanks 1

Horse Newbie
8 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

My uncle had a 1985 Toyota that he absolutely loved. Drove it until it got so much rust that the frame began to break. Had a turbo on it from the factory and overall was a fun little truck.  That one there is beautiful...:handgestures-thumbupright:

@Peacemaker Jack

I have to be honest...this picture is probably around 1987 or so. Here is what it looks like now. Needs paint, interior, a few mechanical things. I've owned it since 1984. Don't think I'll have frame rust issues as severe as you described as they don't put salt out down here much.

Pic_of_Shop.jpg

• Like 4

Sarge
22 hours ago, Cvans said:

I used to work on those when they were new in the late 60's. Even then they were known as a tank and just about indestructible. When I worked for Toyota at that time it was thought the engine was a take off of the Chevy 235 straight 6. We had a demonstration ramp set up in the front lot. If anyone could climb that ramp with any stock vehicle other than a Land Cruiser they would get a $100.00. That was a lot of money in those days and no one every collected it as far as I can remember. 

It's amazing how the rest of the World still today reveres the Land Cruiser as the Holy Grail of SUV's and in Australia they are still the #1 most sought-after vehicle on the markets despite their price tag. I'd love to have one of the D4D diesel variants of the new series pickups - the Aussies got the coolest vehicles Toyota ever made. There are left-hand drive versions available from some certain countries - those are starting to show up here in the States at a very high cost to their owners but will outlast anything we have available here easily - so it's worth the cost. 

I love seeing the vintage semi trucks - always try to hit any of the larger truck shows and there are a few really cool vintage examples in our area.

Sarge

• Like 2

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

I'd love to have an older S-10 with an LS and a 5 speed. What a ride that would be.

I had a customer maybe 30 years ago with a early 80's S10.... 350... 7:1 compression. .. small serpentine belt driven blower so the engine sounded stock. 

Maybe 450 hp or more.... scary truck.

• Like 7

Sarge

@Horse Newbie - go look at the current used market on that truck, would probably give you a heart attack. That whole series of Toyota Hilux/mini truck is extremely sought after, the biggest prices come for the '85 year model deluxe extended cabs - their values are off the chart. They were just a stout little truck and lighter brother to the Land Cruiser, which was their top line vehicle through the years.

Sarge

• Like 4

cschannuth
38 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I had a customer maybe 30 years ago with a early 80's S10.... 350... 7:1 compression. .. small serpentine belt driven blower so the engine sounded stock. 

Maybe 450 hp or more.... scary truck.

My son had the white and black Gen 1 Ranger for a few years.  It was built by a Ford mechanic and his son and was a lot of fun to drive. He drove it back-and-forth to college and it actually got decent gas mileage when you could keep your foot out of it. It had the 5.0 out of 89 LX Mustang and the rear axle out of and Explorer. 

6C29C628-3EFC-4C7E-A2A6-6C04941B10C5.jpeg.422cf3e87e9f079bb5e3dfbcba361951.jpeg98E9379C-A2DD-4B5B-9E7E-759FA9E64152.jpeg.04b5bab8a8257228204c5539bcfb4033.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

squonk

I had an 85 Toyota Pu. Here is the best pic online of it that I can that best represents it.

images.jpg.4910d8084f29a3dc948e558801c56e5c.jpg

Loved that truck but it liked to change lanes quickly on ice. hit some black ice on morning and it headed for a deep ditch. Rolled it end over end and ended up with a tiny cut on my finger. I had a cassette playing in the tape deck when it happened. My wife found it in a snow bank along with some tools that I had in the cab.  :)

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

slim67
13 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

IMG_163483052571963.jpegMy 1981 Toyota Hi Lux 4x4 Long Bed

IMG_163483052571963.jpeg

The best 4x4 mini-truck ever!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi
20 hours ago, squonk said:

My all time favorite truck: 

GMC "Crackerbox" with a screamin 2 cycle Detroit Diesel. These guys are just plain mean looking. As I understand they were hard on the driver. Guys paint these up all wild and show them now. I remember when I was a kid, a local moving company had one of these with "Big Mama " across the grille! :)

cr.jpg.d91be677b03a2c5eff74d658a570f7fe.jpg

images.jpg.aa6bfa4a5c95ff5df7b4ae08f6c87213.jpg

That design allows you to be first on the scene of the accident:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

PeacemakerJack
1 hour ago, squonk said:

I had an 85 Toyota Pu. Here is the best pic online of it that I can that best represents it...hit some black ice on morning and it headed for a deep ditch. Rolled it end over end and ended up with a tiny cut on my finger. 

:scared-eek: good thing you walked away safely from that one!  Could’ve had a devastating outcome...

• Like 4

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

That design allows you to be first on the scene of the accident:P

HAHAHA...

That's what my father has always said about cabovers too.

....." and if you get into an accident, you'll be the first one to know!".....

1 hour ago, squonk said:

I had an 85 Toyota Pu. Here is the best pic online of it that I can that best represents it.

images.jpg.4910d8084f29a3dc948e558801c56e5c.jpg

Loved that truck but it liked to change lanes quickly on ice. hit some black ice on morning and it headed for a deep ditch. Rolled it end over end and ended up with a tiny cut on my finger. I had a cassette playing in the tape deck when it happened. My wife found it in a snow bank along with some tools that I had in the cab.  :)

Did you Bang Your Head during that crash? Not trying to indicate anything. Okay well maybe I am trying to indicate a little something.:ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, ACman said:

:text-yeahthat:.... Sunday will put me at the 7yr mark for my accident . 25mph doesn’t seem fast until that sudden stop and objects inside the vehicle become missiles . 

Scary stuff right there. Glad you're up and about.

Several years ago I worked for a company that was part of a large Self Insurance Group. We had a training session about why the DOT doesn't want Cargo in the cab.

The trainer showed us something small like a one pound box of nails. He says to Us - would you like me to throw this at you as hard as I can? For most people that's probably 30 or 40 miles per hour maximum. Obviously we all said no. Then he says - imagine if you roll the truck over doing 70 and how that would feel if it hit you twice as hard as I can throw it. Needless to say that left an impression on me that has lasted until this day.

• Like 5

squonk

I remember going into the ditch at about a 45 deg angle and then everything just started spinning like a carnival ride. The truck ended up landing on it's wheels. When it stopped all this stuff was falling from the ceiling. At first I thought it was snow but it was the glass from the rear window. I had sandbags in the bed and they were gone. The spare tire had been laying in the bed right behind me. I had it hooked with a bungee to keep it from sliding around. When I exited the truck it was swinging by the bungee on the outside of the bed. The left side of the bed was intact but the right side was flattened. A good sized dent in the roof. The frame was now a parallelogram and the main tie rod across the frt was bent into a "U"

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, squonk said:

The frame was now a parallelogram and the main tie rod across the frt was bent into a "U"

Configurations such as that prove to be challenging during a front end alignment and can occasionally cause excessive tire wear

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

squonk

It would have had a good setup for a short track race car. It was turning left just sitting there. :)

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

ACman

The fire department turned mine into a convertible :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Horse Newbie
On 1/3/2018 at 8:17 PM, roadapples said:

My daily driver is a 98 K1500 Silverado. Newest vehicle I've ever owned. Just had the trany rebuilt so I thought maybe I should have a backup. Found a cherry 97 2 door Tahoe. Pick it up tomorrow, weather permitting. Nowadays 120K is considered low mileage. My last truck, a 93 GMC K1500 with the 4.3 has 320K on original engine and trans. and never had a valve cover off of it. Some day I'll learn how to do pictures...ahh maybe not.

My daily driver @roadapples is also a 1998 K 1500 Chevy Silverado Z-71 4x4. Newest truck I've ever had too. Also had to have transmission rebuilt probably over 100,000 miles ago. I'll have to look in my maintenance log.( I keep one on everything I have that rolls.) Anyway transmission guy said the " sun " gear or "spider " gear or something like that is almost always what breaks in those transmissions. Asked me if I had been spinning the tires on dirt then going to pavement at the same time. Me: nope, at least not on purpose. Anyway they replaced it ( plastic ) with an aftermarket metal one...no problems since with 259,000 miles. When I first got it I hauled nothing but groceries...now I haul just about anything, including two trips from Charlotte NC to Charleston WV packed down pulling a 6x10 trailer packed down. I'll probably drive it until the wheels fall off partly because of the cost, and because I know how it's been maintained.

IMG_20180105_160709147.jpg

Edited by Horse Newbie
add more info.
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Horse Newbie
On 1/4/2018 at 8:55 AM, AMC RULES said:

Yep, and my Dad was a Chevy man too...

CIMG2712.JPG.5ab79da8e8deee5e7e555f3051e343ab.JPGCIMG3519.JPG.e20ecc6d0c1f1dfa874b13d825265960.JPG

was so happy to get his hand me down '90 Chevy 1500, 4x4 when he retired from the railroad. 

Man, I loved that truck...ultimately put 250K miles on that old girl.

CIMG2027.JPG.a2339d0540f2eb96b13caa3626e863a8.JPGCIMG2747.JPG.1d09b371c5cf9801973836351dcd0dc6.JPG 

Last I knew...this '67 was still sitting across the street from my Mom's, out in Colorado. 

For a non runner, I was thinking they were a little steep on the asking price...let alone, the color...I don't know if I could do it.

Price doesn't seem so bad now though.  :confusion-shrug:

CIMG3537.JPG.f294d9e96a438c2155ccb7162a1243fd.JPGCIMG3536.JPG.505493577dc95abeee48b1dfeaffc522.JPGCIMG3538.JPG.a33570d24a29357acf09061e1fdf0970.JPGCIMG3539.JPG.8d6f45de5905454653894e442a5e4c2c.JPG

That would be a slick old truck @AMC RULES if it was redone. Especially it being a 4x4. I bet they'll take less for it, too.

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
On 1/4/2018 at 11:12 AM, Sarge said:

A lot of cool examples of the Big 3 here - I like them all . My favorites were always old Power Wagons - even up into the 80's as those were some seriously stout pickups as well as the D series trucks .

Current dinosaur I have here is an old 1977 Toyota Land Cruiser - model FJ40KCJA or better known as the short wheelbase hardtop model. Due to their value I won't wheel it hard , but it's a tank that just won't stop . The old 2F engines are legendary and just too stupid to die - no idea what miles are on this old girl - but it's definitely been around the block a few times , probably north of 300k according to the drivetrain wear signs - which is very little for old Cruisers since mechanically they are exceptionally stout . Double c-channel frame , 30 spline axles , 9.5" ring and pinions - built like a 1-ton truck or heavier . Weighs right at 2 tons despite the rust - and will beat it's driver to death with those incredibly heavy springs . Ride comfort - none , about the same as a hay wagon at highway speed ....lol .

5a4e4df7aab41_20170212_1011301.jpg.49ff7b64c399e6798222ee587cee0246.jpg

5a4e4e323d089_20170212_1011171.jpg.fd07e5d094c42cbe61f79db03519dfbb.jpg

WIsh I were younger and didn't have the health issues - I'd love to restore the old girl like it deserves. Fully restored examples can go north of $100k easily , odd what folks will pay for such an iconic vehicle that really has zero comforts to it . It is like a WH though - always puts a smile on your face, even while in pain from trying to drive it .

This is what it's like at 80mph - ignore the speedo since it hasn't been corrected from the stock tire size - those are 33" Toyo MT's on it , the thing is way off by almost 14mph+ .

It should be for sale next spring ,as soon as I can get out there and repair the rear brakes (two leaking cylinders , has twins on each wheel) . I'm going to let go of it before it gets any worse from sitting out in the weather - that breaks my heart and the truck doesn't deserve it after so many years of service .

Sarge

You've definitely got yourself one heck of a sought after vehicle there @Sargeand it sounds like you already know it. And I also know the same about that 1981 Toyota sitting in my backyard. I had a man at work said he was interested...low ball offer, no sale. Had people stop and knock on the door...no thanks. The last year they put straight axles on the front was 1985. After that Toyota went to Independent suspension on the front. Some people say that's better, but I like the old style better and apparently a lot of other people do too.

Horse Newbie
On 1/4/2018 at 11:12 AM, Sarge said:

A lot of cool examples of the Big 3 here - I like them all . My favorites were always old Power Wagons - even up into the 80's as those were some seriously stout pickups as well as the D series trucks .

Current dinosaur I have here is an old 1977 Toyota Land Cruiser - model FJ40KCJA or better known as the short wheelbase hardtop model. Due to their value I won't wheel it hard , but it's a tank that just won't stop . The old 2F engines are legendary and just too stupid to die - no idea what miles are on this old girl - but it's definitely been around the block a few times , probably north of 300k according to the drivetrain wear signs - which is very little for old Cruisers since mechanically they are exceptionally stout . Double c-channel frame , 30 spline axles , 9.5" ring and pinions - built like a 1-ton truck or heavier . Weighs right at 2 tons despite the rust - and will beat it's driver to death with those incredibly heavy springs . Ride comfort - none , about the same as a hay wagon at highway speed ....lol .

5a4e4df7aab41_20170212_1011301.jpg.49ff7b64c399e6798222ee587cee0246.jpg

5a4e4e323d089_20170212_1011171.jpg.fd07e5d094c42cbe61f79db03519dfbb.jpg

WIsh I were younger and didn't have the health issues - I'd love to restore the old girl like it deserves. Fully restored examples can go north of $100k easily , odd what folks will pay for such an iconic vehicle that really has zero comforts to it . It is like a WH though - always puts a smile on your face, even while in pain from trying to drive it .

This is what it's like at 80mph - ignore the speedo since it hasn't been corrected from the stock tire size - those are 33" Toyo MT's on it , the thing is way off by almost 14mph+ .

It should be for sale next spring ,as soon as I can get out there and repair the rear brakes (two leaking cylinders , has twins on each wheel) . I'm going to let go of it before it gets any worse from sitting out in the weather - that breaks my heart and the truck doesn't deserve it after so many years of service .

Sarge

You've definitely got yourself one heck of a sought after vehicle there @Sargeand it sounds like you already know it. And I also know the same about that 1981 Toyota sitting in my backyard. I had a man at work said he was interested...low ball offer, no sale. Had people stop and knock on the door...no thanks. The last year they put straight axles on the front was 1985. After that Toyota went to Independent suspension on the front. Some people say that's better, but I like the old style better and apparently a lot of other people do too.