PeacemakerJack

Vintage Trucks

Bob Lister

This is Trev's blog this is a multiple video series where he restores a Bedford Van that is as bad as yours

• Thanks 1

Tractorhead

I like also his Way to Do

...it appears closer to my needed Work 😎👍

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Bob Lister

This is a pic of my 98 c-1500 and my brother's 56 3100.  I actually painted my truck that color before he bought his.  There is a story behind my color choice

phone pics 598.JPEG

• Excellent 9

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Bob Lister said:

color choice

Always been a fan of the white roof. No matter the brand....

Might have to do that to my '86 F250. 

• Like 1

Bob Lister

The white roof was very popular before A/C became common.  The first car you get to do a complete paint job on when learning auto body is usually your own.  I had a 70 GTO in those days and a 62 Rambler classic for winter driving.  The Rambler was the guiney pig. I painted it baby blue with a white top this was 1975 or 76.  This 98 C-1500 is most likely the last complete paint job I plan to do (other than tractors or outboards)  so I decided to go back to the baby blue and white. 

Truck gets a lot of comments and the best was when I was at the Chevy dealer for parts and the salesman came out and said I wish they would bring back the old pastel colors.  

I also added chrome emblems the one on the gate came from a 62 Nova and the front fenders have Triftmaster nameplates from a 47 Chevy p/u

phone pics 139.JPEG

phone pics 140.JPEG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 5

Handy Don

Sure is an eye-catcher amid the current models' more muted colors. I also note the nautical flair to the wooden rack design--nice touch.

• Like 1

Handy Don

The door has "Model A" so maybe? I'm sure no expert!

Very cool to see, though.

• Like 1

Bob Lister

1930 or 31 Model A the 28 and 29 had a different cowl and the back of cab was squared off.  Looks like he got his fenders blown off

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Jeff-C175
On 11/9/2021 at 3:36 AM, Tractorhead said:

I like also his Way to Do

Danke for posting that!  I watched the whole video.  Fascinating what that guy can do!  I can't see putting that much effort into a rusted out old hunka junk though.

BUT... the tips and tricks that guy passed along I actually used them today when welding some sheet metal!  I STILL messed up and warped the panel a little bit with too much heat, but as the Treasurer says (all too often);

"It's only a tractor, it doesn't have to be perfect!" :omg:

• Like 3

Lee1977
On 11/22/2021 at 3:09 PM, Horse Newbie said:

I’d say this is vintage… anybody know what year ? Wish I could have looked under the hood… engine was as quiet as a mouse…

Surfside Beach SC…

614266BC-EB59-4C0E-BC66-F00858C2137C.jpeg

11A90064-C6BF-48BF-BD94-81473053D676.jpeg

C62EEEF1-3AC8-42F1-890B-2E7AC78847D6.jpeg

D1301DFA-8C21-4832-95F5-DF442F7E3CC0.jpeg

096A38D9-42FF-407D-AE96-0F556AC58134.jpeg

618D11E3-5D0E-4E92-9362-A827BEE9DCE9.jpeg

Did you see the V8 emblem painted on the door that is a flat head Ford emblem. Bet it has a flat head Ford V8 in it. My old 50 Mercury V8 you could balance a Nickle on the fender with it running.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

After the altitude adjustment… Mrs. P’s daily driver is near complete.  1997 K2500 Suburban, 454 V8 4x4.  Yesterday, I went through 8 cans of that cable fluid @peter lena preached to me about :handgestures-thumbupright:

3A584B7D-2A2A-49E7-B583-DC4384EC5AD7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 6

peter lena

@Pullstart glad to hear about the  lubriplate spray down ! hope you got those fender edges , exposed frame channels, inside doors and tailgate , you will quickly note how that oil , stains and stays with chassis areas , once established , i just maintain it during an under maintenance  opportunity . having used this for years , I absolutely  marvel at the lasting metal protection it gives . thank you for the notice , pete 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@ebinmaine , morning , hope you had a good turkey day !  referring to that  lubriplate spray down , just look at any truck rot , if there  is lubriplate  chain and cable spray , ( green can , and open gear heavy lube , black can , over spray , you have just saved the life of that car / truck . once established , just check things over  at service time , maybe a touch up , or a spot i missed , but marvel at its protection . , the black oil staining  is your verification of protection . that road salt , is like fizzing alka seltzer on you stuff, wash off ASAP . keep it oily , pete 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@Bob Lister when you spray the lighter chain and cable fluid (  green can ) on unprotected metal , it immediately stains it an oily black wet finish , over time you notice the lubrication spread , and stain , sheds water like its waxed , and stays that way . give it a few days and over coat it with the balck can of gear shield extra heavy , basically a 680 wt  extreme gear oil , like a black tar . that combo is bombproof , used it on all my cars for years , zero rot or any corrosive areas . i wash my cars , and also under spray with  ,water hose  the chemical colors runoff is the stuff that kills your vehicles. was just looking at a pretty new truck , with all the open channeling under the bed , and fender lips , truck was dirty , scaling rot had already started . that lubriplate oil , spray down , would have prevented that , I use it because it flat out works. no rust on my stuff  , why not prevent it from happening ? keep it oily , pete

• Like 4

peter lena

@Bob Lister , oil spray INSIDE A TAIL GATE ? WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT ? , oil steadily feeding lower welded joint areas, what a concept , same for doors and under cab door rot out , remove related matting / coverage to get in there . wheel wells , related suspension , rot city . look at any truck , and its a road map for a lubriplate soak down . when you service that truck , great time to verify and touch up your , underside , areas . been doing this for so long , don't even think about it , let it rot , or oil spray problem areas . get a Tyvek  white paper suit , gloves , and get in there , amazing to feed a boxed area with oil , instead of a line of rust starting , you have an oil film and zero rot , that's up to you, keep it oily , only if you want to , pete  

• Like 1

Pullstart

@peter lena would you shoot the cable fluid down a window seal to get it into a door, or pop a panel off the inside?  

• Like 1

peter lena

@Pullstart , pull the panel or drainage holes in bottom of door, the older the vehicle the easier the access. same goes for floor to door frame edge access , maybe a screwed on entry edge cover , usually covering vital body seam joints , great spot for oil spray entry . use the spray extension tube , on door bottom drainage holes and spot welded joint areas. tail gate entry is relatively easy . open suspension wheel areas , are easy , get access to inner fender liners , spray in behind them , so oil film is at wheel well fender edge. pete. 

• Like 1

pfrederi
On 11/25/2021 at 9:31 PM, Pullstart said:

After the altitude adjustment… Mrs. P’s daily driver is near complete.  1997 K2500 Suburban, 454 V8 4x4.  Yesterday, I went through 8 cans of that cable fluid @peter lena preached to me about :handgestures-thumbupright:

3A584B7D-2A2A-49E7-B583-DC4384EC5AD7.jpeg

Hope she doesn't have to drive too far on a daily driver at $3.69/ gal. as I recall 454's like to drink...

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Hope she doesn't have to drive too far on a daily driver at $3.69/ gal. as I recall 454's like to drink...

Whattayoo talkin' about?

That lil econobox probably gets a good strong 9 mpg.  

Empty. 

With a good wind direction.  

• Haha 2

Pullstart
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

6 miles round trip.  I’m guessing warm up time will impact fuel mileage as much as the one stop light she has to traverse through.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Pullstart
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Whattayoo talkin' about?

That lil econobox probably gets a good strong 9 mpg.  

Empty. 

With a good wind direction.  

with 33” tires and no correction for their overdrive, we got 11.4 highway.  That’s probably 12.5 or so.  We decided fuel mileage isn’t as much a huge concern on the budget, as 15-17 with her old one plus a payment.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4

chip61

One of my favorite vehicles! I had a '99 with 350, most comfortable, best riding vehicle I ever owned. Still regret selling it.

• Like 3

ebinmaine

I delivered quite a passel  of gutter yesterday morning to a place called Wilbur's chocolate in Freeport Maine. Truck apparently is theirs...

IMG_20211202_083306775_HDR.jpg

• Like 5