Vintage Trucks

Tractorhead
5 hours ago, tom2p said:

lowered might grow on you 

maybe something like these :

8D8D2FAE-7D4F-423B-86E1-CA0BB421DD86.jpeg

6CE3C3CF-2E59-4DB9-AC90-E2062D49AB9B.jpeg

42984F21-301F-4326-8ECF-727C23CC1EDB.jpeg

could be you're kid's ride some day .. daughter ... just be sure to remind her not to pull up too far when parking !

Lowrider, ok but if,

than with a Hydraulic suspension so that the Truck is still further completely usable

a Guy i met once has a selfmade Redneck style „lowrider“ built, with changed Suspension.

Hight over Street was a Box of Cigaretts (measured 8cm).

don‘t ask me how, but he get it Roadlegal.

On his first Tuning Fair, he crashed the whole Frontbumper by driving to Parking lot.. 😂

It looks firstly very cool, but was not realy usabe..😎

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Tractorhead said:

Lowrider, ok but if,

than with a Hydraulic suspension so that the Truck is still further completely usable

Agreed. Here in New England lowrider vehicles in general don't seem to be as popular as they are in other parts of the country. We have these things called ... Frost heaves...

Also the parking lots and road entrances are built for drainage so there's a lot of dips and curves and bumps built-in.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart
8 hours ago, tom2p said:

lowered might grow on you 

maybe something like these :

8D8D2FAE-7D4F-423B-86E1-CA0BB421DD86.jpeg

6CE3C3CF-2E59-4DB9-AC90-E2062D49AB9B.jpeg

42984F21-301F-4326-8ECF-727C23CC1EDB.jpeg

could be you're kid's ride some day .. daughter ... just be sure to remind her not to pull up too far when parking !

It’ already earmarked for Jada, my now 12 year old.  She seemed to have fallen in love with Ole Smokey the day we brought him home... even though it burned more oil than gas in those days with the original 307!

• Heart 2

Pullstart
9 hours ago, Achto said:

Say Kevin, are the suspension arms on the rear end of this truck in good shape?? They were made from two pieces that were welded together and had a tendency to rust out in between the two pieces. If yours are bad or questionable I may have a set in good shape. One up grade that was common in my area was to get rid of the coil springs in these trucks & put leaf springs in from a GMC of the same era. 

This truck is dang solid underneath.  The trailing arms are included in that cleanliness... luckily it didn’t come from the rust belt :D.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

PeacemakerJack

Some GREAT pics of past trucks guys!!!! I’ve enjoyed seeing them all and reading the stories...

If I can ever get motivated enough to get Ol’ Blue from Uncle Ken, it has those long trailing arms that are fairly rusty.  Thanks Dan for the heads up on that.  

DCC05AC6-DAAA-4BB2-9AA4-75295700D1AB.jpeg.41b1f2218129aee81635fca81a4a07c4.jpeg

Has anyone on here had any experience with the heavy duty grade fiberglass body parts from US body

http://www.usbodysource.com

I stumbled across a truck about about three years ago that had a cab and box from this company while trolling CL for Horses.  I researched the company on line and was totally intrigued by the possibility of taking Uncle Kens old ‘69 C20 and putting a permanently rust free body on it. I understand it wouldn’t be cheap—looks like about $22K for fiberglass from nose to tail.  However,  compared to the price of new trucks, that ain’t much.

EE8593DD-0234-4755-8305-26C7DF793EC5.jpeg.2b921d1f04f36fa251d8eae34cf54e8d.jpeg

Kens truck has all the trim pieces and everything that the fiberglass would need.  The frame would have to be blasted and then coated with something that would withstand the salt.  All lines would need to be changed to something salt impervious and stainless fasteners used.  Then there is the drivetrain:  a relatively stock one is an option, a modern fuel injected LS setup would be an option, or a diesel powered choice could also be used.  I think it would be cool to put the drive train from my 1995 Chevy K2500 in it including the IFS! I really enjoy vintage vehicles but living in the north we can only use them about 6 months out of the year if we want them to last.  It would be no small task but in the end it could prove to be a lifetime truck.

How fun would it be to freak people out on a salty, sloppy, crummy day in the winter to pull into the gas station with a vintage Chevy truck? 😉. Knowing that the body was capable of sitting in salt solution without damage...

• Like 4
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

I used to dream of a ‘34 Ford Vicky with a fiberglass body and modernized chassis...  for that reason.  Chevy Powered, of course!  This was long before the LS platform took over the aftermarket and performance industry.  I’ve also longed to find a 4-53T Detroit Diesel to drop in something... maybe from 1969?

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

PeacemakerJack

I could totally see that being a fun vehicle Kevin! Could you imagine all the negative feedback you’d get from folks driving a vintage rod like that in the winter...:bitch::angry-nono:

That would be classic.  Obviously anything chrome would have to be really sealed in wax or it would rust pretty bad quickly.  

Let me know guys what what you think guys of those HD fiberglass truck bodies if you get a chance to read about them.  I’d like @Achto‘s opinion on the plus and minus items with a setup like that as well as anyone who has experience painting and maintaining fiberglass bodies.  They have race ready body parts but I’m not interested in those...light weight and mainly for looks.  

• Thanks 1

AHS
On 1/3/2020 at 6:01 AM, ebinmaine said:

Agreed. Here in New England lowrider vehicles in general don't seem to be as popular as they are in other parts of the country. We have these things called ... Frost heaves...

Also the parking lots and road entrances are built for drainage so there's a lot of dips and curves and bumps built-in.

That’s why my 71 is at stock height! My rear end stock coil springs and shocks, new trailing arms. And not installed yet, a fuel tank between the frame rails in the back.... I’m gonna have to get pictures!!

• Like 3

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat:you know how much we love :text-coolphotos:...

cant wait to see pics and hear the story!:greetings-clapyellow:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AHS
18 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

:text-yeahthat:you know how much we love :text-coolphotos:...

cant wait to see pics and hear the story!:greetings-clapyellow:

Just to warn you... the trucks outside...🙁 I wish it was inside!! I’ll take photos tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Achto
On 1/3/2020 at 5:35 PM, PeacemakerJack said:

I’d like @Achto‘s opinion on the plus and minus items with a setup like that as well as anyone who has experience painting and maintaining fiberglass bodies.

I have installed a glass body on a Jeep CJ. The body that I used fit well and the installation was fairly easy. Most difficult part of the job was running separate grounds wires to every thing.  

Painting fiberglass is really no different than painting metal, other than there is no need for a self etching primer. A long term issue with some fiberglass is dealing with stress cracks in the gel coat. Stress cracks do not effect the strength of the glass, they just make it look bad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
On 1/4/2020 at 9:28 PM, Achto said:

I have installed a glass body on a Jeep CJ. The body that I used fit well and the installation was fairly easy. Most difficult part of the job was running separate grounds wires to every thing.  

Painting fiberglass is really no different than painting metal, other than there is no need for a self etching primer. A long term issue with some fiberglass is dealing with stress cracks in the gel coat. Stress cracks do not effect the strength of the glass, they just make it look bad.

I seem to recall the ground wire situation in high school, a buddy and his brother did side by side builds of 360 powered CJ’s with ‘glass tubs.

• Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

That makes sense Kevin.  I could imagine that making sure all electrical items are grounded to the frame.  With everything being fiberglass, there would be definitely be a break in the continuity compared to an all steel body.  I’m sure that this has been figured out but I would have to do the necessary research to make sure I understand what I would be getting myself into...

• Like 1

JCM

As promised a few more truck pics, have 1 more of the F -100 but among the missing at the moment. Have been trying to put these in albums but takes time. First pic is a 1972 F-100  2 wheel drive with a 240 six and 3 speed auto bought from ex father in law who was a 30 year Ford mechanic and purchased it new. This truck had under 50000 miles when I bought it. The second is a 1978 F-150  4x4 with a 300 six and 4 speed manual and under 60000 miles and picked this up  4 miles from my home. Want to mention that about 6 miles from my home was a 1978 K-10  Chevy 4x4 with an auto trans in mint condition for 5000.00 two tone maroon shortbed that I really wanted but the Ford was 4500.00 and had a 4 speed so went with that, plus I couldn't come up with the extra 500,00.

2.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

PeacemakerJack

Both of those are really sharp trucks but that ‘78 shows visually why Ford took the truck market by storm at that time.  Those body lines were super clean.  Thanks for sharing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

c-series don

I honestly believe that the 78-79 F series were some of the best looking trucks made by Ford. I particularly like the 79 because of the square headlights. 

• Like 1

Pullstart

So this truck is a 2000 K3500, the last year you could get a New Silverado, or a K series “88-98” body style.  It’s a 350 Vortec, with the 4L80E transmission and it’s my trusty back up plow rig.  Every time I drive it, I feel like I’m in one of the last Hay Day trucks they built.  Solid bench seat... no fancy dash, great visibility...  it’s a mouse house for sure, but the Fisher under hood pump, with spool valve controls make it a great plow rig.

8F573ADB-B459-4156-B96B-6A2AB9392AD2.jpeg

5145DCF3-68E2-446E-9635-62364228331F.jpeg

3EDB23BD-53A3-4284-BF5A-1C3C83C9D41B.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Nothing beat‘s a trustworth equippment.

👍

• Thanks 1

AMC RULES

Had to let this dirty old girl go today...

20200122_154254.jpg.a26389e826e6e8358eb9d92d36414a26.jpg

...shame too. Only accumulated 15K on it's clock. 20200122_154159.jpg.8adb836fa81615387178e518a2697b1f.jpgOh well, already on to the next.  :greetings-wavingyellow:

• Like 1

JCM

@AMC RULES   Did this Chevy do something bad to you or let you down in some way, or was it just time for a change. Will you let the cat out of the bag on your next brand of choice ?

AMC RULES

Nope, hated seeing that one go...thing was an awesome truck!

Just, when an old lease ends...

a new one begins.

20200122_141304.jpg.7ed2e166ef8c141149f8952d15b4a9fb.jpg

Signed up for the last leftover '19 model they had remaining. This new one is a "custom" just like the black model I just turned in. Suits me just fine because I'm not a fan of all the plastic they are using now in these newly released '20 models.

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 4

Coulter Caleb

That’s a beauty Craig!  Any special feature that your last one didn’t have?  

Oh yea...and how soon until it has a horsey sticker in the window?:techie-eureka:

AMC RULES

Already locked and loaded Caleb.

20200119_155750.jpg.99a9d7d4c9ba66cbb53ff034a578e04f.jpg

Just waiting for a warm day.

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2

Pullstart
19 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Already locked and loaded Caleb.

20200119_155750.jpg.99a9d7d4c9ba66cbb53ff034a578e04f.jpg

Just waiting for a warm day.

Do you have to remove that, or do you get to leave it on and plant a seed of interest in the next owner?

AMC RULES

It's a truck...and I use 'em as such.

Never have had an issue upon turn-in...they take 'em back...no questions asked.