SteveK440

Need Opinon On 416-8 Purchase

SteveK440

Hello,

I found A 1989 416-8 for sale approx 100 miles from my home with 825 Hours on a Onan engine, decent paint not faded or rust with a few charter flaws from the pictures. I will try to post pictures later if not sold. there is some minor things like missing dash light covers and minor rust on gauges.  He clams the drive belt came off and is asking $700.00. My question is do you consider this a reasonable purchase and what should I pay attention of mechanical detail? One question I have for him is there any problem with the trans. My last question is do you think I could offer him $600?

953 nut

:WRS:          If the Onan runs well and the tractor isn't showing signs of neglect it sounds like a great buy. The transaxle on these will interchange with the majority of eight speeds so if the transmission has a problem you will be OK. The most likely cause of it throwing a drive belt is a bad idler pulley, easy inexpensive fix.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs: Steve.                        You didn't mention any implements.   I would offer 20% less than the listed price and negotiate from there.

Like Richard stated, the belt idler is an easy fix, and the 8 speeds are pretty much bullet proof.   I would make sure it shifts and rolls easily in all 8 gears.   Go get it.

• Like 3

JPWH

:WRS:

Racinbob

Is he saying the belt came off because it won't move? Check it out and if the belt is still on it's most likely one of the hub keys of input pulley key. It only takes one. In any case, almost certainly a simple fix. I would jump on it. :)

• Like 1

Tankman

Ditto. Not that far away, bring that Horse home.

Be sure to update your post, we Stallions welcome newcomers to the pastures. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Get the Horse before hillbillies get there first! They love Stallions.

Family.jpg

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

KC9KAS

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

RedPaul

:text-welcomewave: Steve 

I have a 416-8 with an Onan that is my worker (snow plow, mower, log puller, fence stretcher, dead man, go cart) and I love it.  It had a few less hours, I paid almost $800 and the tin is kinda banged up.  You will not be disappointed with that Stallion leading your herd.   You didn't say if any implements come with it but for the price I paid I got a blade, a mower deck in reasonably good shape and a brand new set of mower blades.  It can't hurt to start with a low $ offer.  You can always go $ up.  Personally it has never turned out well trying to go $ down.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I have a 416-8 with the big single Kohler.  A workhorse of a horse. See how it runs, no smoke etc on the Onan. They are pricey to fix, IMHO.  Its hard to check out if you cant take it for a spin. Best of luck and :text-welcomeconfetti::wh:.

Glenn

AMC RULES

Family.jpg

Hey, isn't that Ed Kennell there on the right?  :confusion-shrug:

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Dunno Craig, I was thinkin BRF.  :confusion-confused:

BTW, how come you're not out there with your big yellow scraper cleaning up those Joisey roads?

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

SteveK440

Thanks guys the fast replies. I've been lurking your sight but finally decided to sign up. Extra thank you to Ed for giving me a bargain tip. You also asked if any impliments but it only comes with the deck. Talked to the owner hopefully we can play American Haglers this week end. I tried to enclose a image for you to evaluate. 

7 minutes ago, SteveK440 said:

Thanks guys the fast replies. I've been lurking your sight but finally decided to sign up. Extra thank you to Ed for giving me a bargain tip. You also asked if any impliments but it only comes with the deck. Talked to the owner hopefully we can play American Haglers this week end. I tried to enclose a image for you to evaluate. 

Screenshot_2018-01-04-21-09-13.png

Edited by SteveK440
Typo
  • Like 2

ericj

I have 3 89 416-8's I'm in negotiations to sell one possibly, good tractors with plenty of power, good luck

eric j  

PeacemakerJack

Good thing you don’t live any closer Eric or I’d have to buy one for a Furrow Plow Tractor!  With the Onan and GD tranny—that would be a beast in the field!!!

:auto-layrubber:

Steve—that looks like one nice machine, don’t drag your feet or it will be gone!!! :text-welcomeconfetti: to the best GT forum Around!

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

If that is a recent picture Steve, It looks good.  Straight tin, fair seat, and a good 48" deck that is worth 3-400 bucks alone.

SteveK440

Well I bit the horse harness last week end, hitch up my neighbors  trailer, and prayed I was not about to find a disappointment or go home with no horse. You guys were correct about its hard to negotiate price, but other than the mower deck rotted in one spot I feel like it has potential. Her exhaust seems to pop every once in awhile at half throttle but she purrs like a kitty at idle. Hoping to add some mods to her in the near future and toying with my brain of a reto mod of a Combined 70's and 90's look. Tried to upload a video so you could hear it run but couldn't find how to insert a youtube video. Willing to try if if some ne could educate me.

20180121_160045.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Sarge

Put your video on another tab/window - copy and paste it's address into the text box on a reply to your thread . The site will automatically link the video and insert it. I know it works easily with FireFox , others browsers vary.

Nice score - looks like pretty good shape.

Sarge

• Thanks 1

T-Mo

Congratulations on the "new" tractor.  I have a 416-8 also, but mine's a 1988 with the single cylinder M16 Kohler Magnum.  Mine is approaching 3700 hours, if the hour meter is correct, that is.  I do know from it's condition it's probably close enough to that hour number.  Mine still runs okay, but is starting to shows signs of wear, i.e. smoking.  I'll use it till it quits, and then might repower it.

Yours is in a nice cosmetic shape than mine is, but I only paid $300 for mine a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

SteveK440

Thanks for the compliments...let's see if I can try to post my YouTube https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nQqedFRZyDg

Edited by T-Mo
Imbedded video
  • Excellent 1

PeacemakerJack

Great Video!  You’ll have to do another one when you have someone else around who can video you driving it, especially with that gear slammer!:auto-layrubber:Nice tractor—I like the sound of those big Onan’s.

What is the story with the missing loop around the PTO?

SteveK440

The Seller busted the Mower belt and stop using after he tried fixing himself. I still have all hardware. He later confessed that he would plow his ditch with the Mower....:rolleyes: