PeacemakerJack

“JackRabbit”—Caleb’s 418-C

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Good machine to start off with.   Best of luck will be following along.

Glenn

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Do you guys have any recommendations on cleaning it out other than pouring some fresh fuel in, sloshing it around and dumping it out?

A little seafoam maybe?

12 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

He was upset with me if I tried to take something apart!  I like that—I want him to learn to do it and no better way than hands on under the watchful eye of a tutor.

Awesome!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Desko

She's in good hands now. Definitely can wait to see how it turns out. I agree a little gas and some sea foam will clean it up nicely. Will you be replacing the fuel lines also? 

• Like 3

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, PeacemakerJack said:

After taking the tank off, we completely drained the old fuel out. Do you guys have any recommendations on cleaning it out other than pouring some fresh fuel in, sloshing it around and dumpi

Not saying your tank will need this, but I have seen really bad tanks filled with a couple hands full of gravel, bungeed to a rear tractor tire, and driven till the tank is tumbled clean.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 2

PeacemakerJack

Yes—we will definitely replace the fuel lines.  Cheap insurance on a machine that is a full 30 years old.

Thanks Ed for the idea. I have a couple of steel tanks that I will try that on. This polymer tank doesn’t seem too bad.  I’ll have to look it over with a bright light  and maybe a mirror.

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:          Glad to see that Caleb is eager to work and learn. I will be cleaning my 418=C up in the spring, it is on snow duty for the winter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

Thanks Richard—especially for the tip on that seat brace.

I’ll be sharing soon pics of what we found underneath and why that brace is so important—so typical of something that is taken apart at some point, put back together, and then an exclamation as to why there are extra bolts and screws left...:handgestures-thumbdown: But be assured, we will make it right!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ohiofarmer

Check out the idler pulley that holds tension on the transmission belt. If the bushing [on the pulley arm] wears out the pulley will start to vibrate and wear an egg shaped hole in the transmission tunnel.  I would replace that bushing and put waterproof silicone grease on it.

Sort of a weak spot on the newer models

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

Following along. I have a 417-A and a 418-A and both are work monsters. Good to see Caleb getting dirty. Better than a video game. 

• Like 8
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
26 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

.....Good to see Caleb getting dirty. Better than a video game. 

Agreed! 

• Like 5

PeacemakerJack
7 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

Check out the idler pulley that holds tension on the transmission belt...

Sort of a weak spot on the newer models

Thanks for the heads up, we will inspect that and take necessary steps as needed! 

• Like 2

dclarke

I'll be following along on Caleb's progress as well, that looks like a nice tractor and I'm sure it'll be good as new when you're done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JPWH

Good to see a young person show interest in these little tractors. I will be following along. As for cleaning the plastic tank I used a 50/50 mix of gumout and gas and let it soak overnight in an old plastic Raider  tank and it removed all the old tarnish.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Achto

Great to see that Caleb is stating on his tractor. It should be a great machine when you 2 are done with it.

• Like 3

WHX??
13 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

lots of debris in the “trap spots” that will be cleaned out.

Ya know Josh the worse part about getting a new to me tractor this time of year is not being able to get out the pressure washer for a good bath! :lol:

• Like 4

19richie66

Ice blasting........ good way to save on sand :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

WHX??

It's all fun & games until yer hose freezes! :lol:

• Haha 5

PeacemakerJack

Easy cleanup—wait for it to melt and squeegee it up:chores-mop:

:hilarious:

• Haha 5

AMC RULES

403F61D1-3D99-4158-B13C-D809CA8B1BB4.jpeg.2ec6b8c3415a87feb18622c944a299e1.jpeg

Man, that kid's got a bad ass WH-Logo-ds-220.png.4d56fc92e83cfaaf2d9222b06ecfa7fe.png...congrats on your score Caleb.  :greetings-clapyellow:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

dells68

:text-yeahthat: I agree, very nice horse.  Best part is working on them with your son.  It will be time well spent.  I just cleaned the tank on the 857 I'm starting on with a little diesel and a handful of gravel.  Shook the heck out of it.  Some of the ugliest junk you've ever seen out of it.  I know diesel leaves a little residue, but I have fear of shaking gravel and gas gravel+gas+spark=BOOM!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

PeacemakerJack

:happy-partydance::?:happy-bouncyredfire:

Caleb’s been dying to use that last emoji—Dells68 you gave him the perfect spot for it.  Where’s @AMC RULES with a classic gif to illustrate...?

:D

Totally agree on time spent with my son. Caleb is now old enough to really get involved hands on.  I love it!!!

• Like 5

tims tractors

I love it, My wife and I are guardians of our 13 year old nephew and he to loves to help. It,s neat to watch them learn an grow.

• Like 8

PeacemakerJack

Thank you @tims tractors for taking that responsibility to raise your nephew.  Often there are some difficult circumstances surrounding a family member needing to be a guardian.  I applaud you for taking on that role and by it your nephew Is greatly benefited.  How cool that you guys get to work on :wh: projects together!!! Let’s keep on training the next generation to appreciate these legendary little tractors...

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

PeacemakerJack

Here is the tag from JackRabbit...

A2E068DD-7770-4FC0-99FF-2A2AEE6E07C2.jpeg.7d42f07bec80ff7f2d43935117cf8ae5.jpeg

A little tricky to read but I’m sure we can have Terry make us up a correct replacement when the time is right!  Caleb had a basketball game tonight in which they won, and then had homework and so no work on the tractor tonight but hopefully we can get some meaningful time on it Saturday...

• Like 4