OneAmericanDude

GT-1642 stuck in between ranges

OneAmericanDude

Just as the title says its stuck between high and low and the tires and pulley are locked up solid. I can't get the lever to move and I have tried pulling it with another tractor to see if it would loosen something up. Being stuck in between ranges is just my guess at whats wrong considering I cant move the lever. 

gwest_ca

Are you experiencing freezing temperatures? Water in the transmission will lock them up tight if it freezes.

First thing that came to mind as it's -22*F here at the moment.

Garry

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

OneAmericanDude
35 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Are you experiencing freezing temperatures? Water in the transmission will lock them up tight if it freezes.

First thing that came to mind as it's -22*F here at the moment.

Garry

In Arkansas we don't normally. But I am restoring this ol girl and it does have milky oil in the rear end. The high today was 24..... What oil does it take and Ill change it tomorrow.

953 nut

:WRS:     When you drain the old oil you should jack up the front end to insure complete emptying. You will probably want to put a half gallon of diesel fuel in to flush the old sludge out. Put it on jack stands and run it in each gear for a few minutes and then jack the front and drain again. Use two quarts of 90 Gear Oil  and get a new rubber boot for the shifter.

:text-happynewyear:

• Like 8

OneAmericanDude
21 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:     When you drain the old oil you should jack up the front end to insure complete emptying. You will probably want to put a half gallon of diesel fuel in to flush the old sludge out. Put it on jack stands and run it in each gear for a few minutes and then jack the front and drain again. Use two quarts of 90 Gear Oil  and get a new rubber boot for the shifter.

:text-happynewyear:

Is it a standard boot for the shifter? If not where can I get one.

gwest_ca

Water in the oil won't lock them up but if it sits idle the water will leave the oil and settle in the bottom. That's when ice will lock the differential to the case preventing the rear wheels from turning. Clear water will come out followed by the oil provided it is thawed out.

Garry

• Like 3

OneAmericanDude
8 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Water in the oil won't lock them up but if it sits idle the water will leave the oil and settle in the bottom. That's when ice will lock the differential to the case preventing the rear wheels from turning. Clear water will come out followed by the oil provided it is thawed out.

Garry

It sat a few months without the wheels being turned AT ALL. Then I picked the time during freezing temps to mess with it :/ The high is only 28 tomorrow but 38 Wednesday so it should hopefully melt then. Im just praying that is the problem. 

4 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Ok thanks I don't even remember seeing one on it

Edited by OneAmericanDude
  • Like 2

OneAmericanDude
11 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

15 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Garry

I just went out and took some pictures let me upload them to my pc and ill post them

OneAmericanDude
19 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

23 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Garry

The first pic with the chain what does that do? Its a lever hooked to a cable that runs under the dash and I can't find it after that. I'm guessing the dipstick bent from ice? It wasn't bent this morning before I checked the rear end.... The oil is nasty but seperated from the water. No boot on the shifter and a look down the dipstick tube

IMG_0158.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0150.JPG

IMG_0151.2.jpg

IMG_0152.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

You are in the right place for advice!

gwest_ca

The cable is part of the rear lift for attachments. Could be a tiller or anything that uses a slot or clevis hitch. Here is the clevis hitch. Click on the picture and again on the next page.

Garry

OneAmericanDude

It was froze. Heated it up with fire and another mower LOL but I finally got it broke free and its spose to be 36 tomorrow so it should thaw a little more

• Thanks 1