Navig8r

Snowthrower chain lube.. What to use?

Navig8r

I picked up a used single stage that has been sitting.  The auger spins, bit things need a little TLC.

What chain lube have you found to work best, and last longest?

Any lube needed on the bearings? Or just replace if stiff?

Thanks!

pfrederi

I buy motor cycle chain lube (aerosol) at the auto parts store

• Like 1

roadapples

If there's any doubt at all about the chain, replace it. Not that expensive. Around $20 for 10 feet at TSC...

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Navig8r

22 minutes ago, roadapples said:

If there's any doubt at all about the chain, replace it. Not that expensive. Around $20 for 10 feet at TSC...

Definitely will if I have any concerns.... Hope to get it inside this week and give it a look... at first glance, it seemed ok, just a little stiff, but no stuck links, and no excessive rust!

• Like 2

BigRed84

I'm sure you're already aware, but if all the single stage throwers are the same, check your chain tensioner sprocket down toward the bottom of the housing....if it has been adjusted to the tightest setting already, you may want to just replace the chain based on how much it has stretched.  I had planned on doing mine this winter but we had enough snow to use it before I got around to it, and I went over a small bump at the end of my driveway and it was just enough to pop the chain right off the sprockets and get completely chewed up between the auger and housing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Tankman
On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 11:58 AM, pfrederi said:

I buy motor cycle chain lube (aerosol) at the auto parts store

Used motorcycle lube and chainsaw lube too.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

mrc

i use bar and chain lube. anything is better than nothing. i lube mine generously and let the blower sit on a piece of cardboard. naturally it drips, when that piece of cardboard is ready for disposal i burn it.  regards  mike in mass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 11:40 AM, roadapples said:

Around $20 for 10 feet at TSC...

If they have it Jay..stopped yesterday to pick up a roll and the #40 slot empty! :( Also needed two of these they had one :( Got the deer in the headlight look when I asked when they be getting more in! :unsure:

20180102_173353[1].jpg

BTW that is the idler sprocket the chain rides on.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sarge

Be careful using some of those China built chains - they do not fit the sprockets correctly and can wear the teeth out in a hurry , not to mention they can get pretty loud . I think McMaster and other places carry good quality US made chain in bulk rolls. Same with sprockets..btw .

Sarge

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• neilevans1971
      By neilevans1971
      42in Snowthrower #79362 for sale
      You pick up, as I cannot deliver. 
      Lot's of fun to clear a sidewalk in one pass or driveway in just a few.

I have the manual, belt and attachment parts that go with it but are not pictured. All are in good working order.

• bizzo15
      By bizzo15
      So long story short I scored a two stage snowthrower for my 520xi in the off season and hooked it up to my tractor and finally got a chance to use it this past weekend after we got a storm that dumped about a foot of fresh now.  First time out everything was going good and the snowthrower was moving snow like a beast, I did notice though when I got to the berm at the end of the road the blower would shake and vibrate pretty good when going through it.  I thought it was just normal operation since the snow tends to be more compacted from the plow, I just made sure to go nice and slow when I got to the end of the driveway and was able to clear my driveway and the neighbors without any issues.  Fast forward to the next day and I fired up the tractor to clean up the driveways as we got another couple inches over night.  Was able to finish my driveway but halfway through the neighbors when clearing the end of the driveway the blower shook and the suddenly stopped.  I shut it down and looked around and noticed the belt was broken, I didn't think too much of it as when I put the blower on the tractor the belt was showing some wear but when I saw how expensive the toro belts are I decided to run it as it looked like it would make it through another season no problem.  Once I got it back in the garage I removed the belt and that's when I noticed that something didn't seem right, the spring loaded pulleys on the right side of the pulley box were hanging below the blower frame, I took the chain and belt cover off the blower and noticed there's damage to the main belt pulley on the blower as well.  I pulled the pulley box off and noticed that there's groves worn into the metal from the pulley and what looks like some belt rub.  Anybody have any clues on what caused the belt to fail?  I'm including pictures to hopefully give some clues to those who have used these blowers extensively.  I followed the manual while installing the blower but I'm wondering if maybe I don't have something assembled correctly or am missing some crucial part.  I'd really hate to spend the money on a new belt only to have it blow because I didn't correct the actual issue.  I will say all the bearings seem tight on the blower and there doesn't appear to be any play in the shafts.  I look forward to any insight you guys can offer, thanks.

• 608KEB
      By 608KEB
      The tall chute snowthrower on my 520H  will twist the kotter pin and disconnect from the lift rod.  I've  also used  kotter keys with worse results. Has this happened to anyone else? I do have 2 washers on the end of the lift rod. Adding maybe 1/8 of a inch to the total length  of the lift rod.  I've  never had a problem  with the short chute snowthrower  that I have hooked up to my B100.

• wheelhorse-c-161-1979
      By wheelhorse-c-161-1979
      Youtube video of my 1979 Wheel Horse C-161 throwing some snow!

• Jjf02914
      By Jjf02914
      Hello just wondering Im looking for the snowthrower setup for ny tractor think its a st 324? Just looking for some pro input, where can i find one if anyone has a idea would be awsome ty .