Chris1055

Snowblower drive belt hitting front axle bad.

Chris1055

Hi I just mounted the snowblower and went pretty easy but the belt hits the front axle so bad I won't run it like this. Do I have the routing wrong seems like it only goes one way ? That bottom pulley is loose in the pic but was wondering if there's any adjustment on these IMG_0085.JPG.c398d0cc4d51ee01986dc1f5ce77963b.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

pfrederi

Try this routing.  There should be NO idlers contacting the top belt run.

IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

Ed Kennell

Paul, do the front chains come close to the blower belt when turning your (Raider ?) to the left?     I had to remove the right chain on my520 because it hit the belt.

Chris1055

ok thanks I will try that 

pfrederi
3 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Paul, do the front chains come close to the blower belt when turning your (Raider ?) to the left?     I had to remove the right chain on my520 because it hit the belt.

Its an Electro (16).  Cleared last years blizzard with out any issues.  Gets a bit close turning left but no problems.  They are not original front wheels they are later model wider ones with 16 x 6.50 8 tires not  the original 16 x 5.50 8.  The wheels are probably from a C series.  Did the 520 front wheel have a different backset???

IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Don't feel bad Chris.   It takes at least 3 snow blower installations to remember this.    There is never a spring loaded idler on the drive  loop of the belt.  The engine pulley will always be pulling the belt from the implement.  With a front mounted implement, this is the top loop.  Rear mounted implements  and  the transmission, it is the bottom loop.

Thanks Paul.   My 520H is a '88 therefore has the straight axle.  I think my chains were heavier and they were the VEE BAR design.

Chris1055

I'm also having trouble with the chute cable. I've read the directions in the manual. It states that to begin routing the cable the chute has to be rotated to the right 90 degrees. But is it to the right standing behind it or in front? I've been routing the cable with the chute turned to the crank side of the blower

gwest_ca

Left's and right's are always from the operator in the seat position.

Garry

• Like 2

Chris1055

Ok so I have everything set pretty much on the snowblower chain is on, chute cable is good and belt is now on correctly and it runs good. The only thing I noticed is the auger has about 1/8 inch of play side to side any ideas?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ed Kennell

If the bearings are quiet and free, keep them greased and blow some snow.

• Like 2

pfrederi

:text-yeahthat:  I have a couple of blowers they all have some end play on the auger.   The one hooked up now blew the 28+inch snow last March without a problem...

Machria

How long are these drive belts?   I have a GT!4 with snow blower, just snapped the belt.  I think I recall it being 79 or 80"?  Does that sound correct?

gwest_ca

Gt-14 belt has been added to this page. Click on the picture

Garry

Machria
16 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Gt-14 belt has been added to this page. Click on the picture

Garry

Thanks Garry.  But I have that manual already, it just says "Drive Belt", nowhere does it say what lenght it is.  My belt got completely destroyed, so I can't even measure it...  

pfrederi

last page #8160 Drive Belt

Edit 8160 =  82.9"  21/32 width   (B cross section)    (A gates Green 6983 83" x5/8 probably works)

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

moe1965

not positive but i think your belt is on the wrong pulley on the engine.   not that it will help with your issue. just something i saw in the picture... 

pfrederi

Outer sheeve for snow blower inner for mower decks

gwest_ca
On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎05 at 10:03 AM, Machria said:

Thanks Garry.  But I have that manual already, it just says "Drive Belt", nowhere does it say what lenght it is.  My belt got completely destroyed, so I can't even measure it...  

If you click on the picture in the link it will take you to the cover page for that file. That is where notes can be added to supplement the downloadable files. Answers the most common questions without downloading a file only to find out the info is not in them.

You can download the files from the cover page also.

Garry