Desko

Work horse restoration

Desko

Hi all. I'm currently redoing a work horse gt1142 but more custom then original. I've bought a p216 onan and the HD 8 speed 8 pinion rear diff to swap into it the rear end Ive already rebuilt currently waiting to get seals for it though. The onan I have picked up for $200 with about 1,050 hours that I'm tearing to to hone up re ring and reseal it. Everything so far looks good and seems to be well taken care of

IMG_2769.JPG

IMG_2772.JPG

IMG_2774.JPG

• Like 9

Desko

Well I ran into a couple uh oh parts looks like its gotten hot once on the LH side head and the clutch rod hole in the hood stand is a bit wore out anybody have a good fix for the hole? I have a good block so no worries there. 

IMG_2776.JPG

IMG_2777.JPG

• Sad 1

Sarge

If you can get the part off - have a welder close it up and re-drill it to the correct spot . Other choice is to cut it out round and use a flange bearing (bushing) but make certain you get the hole placement right or things won't fit correctly .

That cylinder almost looks like it had water in it at one time , plus a lot of heating .

Sarge

• Like 1

Desko

The hood stand is already off the tractor and I'll see if my father can do that (been a welder for 30 years) and yes it sure does good thing I have a good spare block or two hanging around lol

• Like 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, Sarge said:

cut it out round and use a flange bearing (bushing)

Trick I have used is to spot braze a 1/2" shaft collar to the place you want to drill (centered up) and the collar will center the drill for you. Then remove the collar and insert the 1/2" flange bronze bushing.                  :text-happynewyear:

• Like 1

Desko
46 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Trick I have used is to spot braze a 1/2" shaft collar to the place you want to drill (centered up) and the collar will center the drill for you. Then remove the collar and insert the 1/2" flange bronze bushing.                  :text-happynewyear:

Thanks! Sounds like that'll be the route I'll go. Know where I can get the bushing? 

• Like 1

Sarge

I use the hardware and farm stores for bronze bushings/bearings . Most times they are not sized/shaped exactly to what I need to they get cut down in the lathe .

Sarge

• Thanks 1

953 nut
On 12/30/2017 at 8:42 PM, Desko said:

Thanks! Sounds like that'll be the route I'll go. Know where I can get the bushing? 

Shaft collars and the flanged bushings can be found at any good hardware store, even Lowe's and HD have them.

:text-happynewyear:

• Like 1

Desko

I'll definitely have a look this weekend when I stop into town. I could make some but I don't have access to a lathe anymore.