JPWH

k 301 will not start when warm

JPWH

It will start and run for as long as I have gas in it. Once I turn it off it will not start until it is cool enough to touch with a bare hand. Then it will start right up. I think I have narrowed it down to maybe valves but I thought I would put this out for the experts to evaluate and hopefully give me some advice. I have gas at the carb, and if I use the choke when warm it will flood. I have changed the coil and condenser with a known working one. I have good spark (new plug) and gapped to specs. New Points gapped at .020. I have not checked compression yet. I am not a mechanic by any means, I just know enough to screw something up when I go to guessing what's next.  

Thanks in advance,

Jay 

• Sad 1

rmaynard

Since you changed the coil, condenser, plug and points, try this. When it is in a "non-start" condition, spray a little starter fluid into the carburetor. If it starts, then stops, I'd say you can narrow it down to a fuel problem. My guess would be fuel pump related. You didn't mention what model the K301 was on. The reason that is important is fuel tank location.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

JPWH

Thanks @rmaynard . Motor is on a Custom Raider. Tank sits above and behind the motor.

SPINJIM

Too much gas ?   Carburetor adjustments ?   Most of my Kohlers need just a milli-second of choke to start, even when the engine is warm.   If it floods that easily, maybe it is getting too much gas.   My guess would be a carb adjustment to more lean.

Or maybe the fuel pump is allowing gas to gravity feed when it is warm, due to an air leak or a bad diaphragm in the pump.

Let us know what the outcome is.

Jim

• Like 4

JPWH

I dont have to use the choke but a second even  when it's cold weather.

cschannuth

I've had old cars act the same way.  They fire right up when cold but may or may not even turn over.

• Like 1

wallfish

The flooding issue when choked could indicate the float needs adjusting.

• Like 1

JPWH

Thanks guys. I'll check all these things hopefully over the weekend. I'll post what I find.