Goldann520

520h speed issues

Goldann520

Alright @ACman and @WVHillbilly520H I need ya again. Played with the eccentric in photos like you guys told me for an hour in 38 degree weather. ( I know I'm whining,but I am in Charlotte)  Can get her to fly in forward but hardly any reverse,  or fast reverse and slow forward. Also can find ring to tighten up lever. 1st pic forward, 2nd reverse, 3rd neutral. Tough to get balance so she don't want to creep. Thanks Terry 

20171226_163121.jpg

20171226_163134.jpg

20171226_163142.jpg

squonk

You need to jack the rear up and set the neutral adjustment so the wheels don't move. Sound like you got it to far forward.

Goldann520

Thanks @squonk, have no idea how to do that, unless you mean Jack it up so you don't run over yourself while playin with it. Can't get good balance and a clear neutral. Also seems like something keeping lever from traveling all the way forward.  Of course the 4 inspection cover bolts in front of the seat just spin.

Ed Kennell

Looking at your second (reverse ) picture, the cam needs to be turned about 90 degrees Clockwise.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Jerry77

First off....clean it up ...dry.....no lubricant...needs to be dry..:)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Goldann520

Thank you @Ed Kennell,and @Jerry77 a ton! Will try the cam 1/4 turn clockwise and had no idea needed to be dry! That's why I'm here.

squonk

You jack the rear up, run the engine and adjust the cam so the wheels don't turn. Make sure the lever is at the neutral position. This is how you center the cam. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Goldann520

Ok @squonk got ya. After that I guess it's a linkage problem. Only has 200 actual hours, so not like it's worn out, but did sit outside for 4 years. :mellow:

Kurt-NEPA

Wow, 200 hours.  Its a young pup.  I would clean up that cam and center the linkage and see what happens.  BTW, I agree, that cam is off about 90 degrees clockwise.

• Like 1

Goldann520

Thanks @Kurt-NEPA will do next time I dare brave the cold. (My shop is heated but alas, there's so much stuff in it not really any room) ya it's a shame, can tell by engine (hr meter works) and overall appearance it's true, but sitting outside 4 yrs no good. Deck like brand new. (42" recycler) anyway want to save it. I  hate parting out good stuff. Unfortunately,  these projects spiral out of control financially as we all know.

Kurt-NEPA
2 minutes ago, Goldann520 said:

@Kurt-NEPA these projects spiral out of control financially as we all know.

Mine sure do.  I have way too much invested in mine, but they do keep the lawn mowed and driveway cleared.

• Like 2

Goldann520

And keep you smiling!😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Goldann520

Alright, braved the cold again today. Turned cam as instructed. Got to neutral. Am happy with reverse but forward not close to 7 mph. It's better than it was, but thinking lever not traveling all the way? And creeping down slowing down machine.😑

20171227_102259.jpg

• Like 1

Kurt-NEPA

If ground speed creeping down, tighten the nut on top of the big washer a little bit at a time.  There is a friction disk under that nut that will stop the drifting.  It can be tricky to get just right.  If you haven't already, remove that nut and washer and clean the cam and washer with brake clean.  It should be dry and clean.

Also, Check your full throttle speed on the Onan.  An engine running at 3200 or 3300 rpm will drastically drop the ground speed on these tractors with Eaton 1100 hydros. It seems to be worse on some tractors and better on others.  Worth a check.

Edited by Kurt-NEPA
  • Excellent 1

lynnmor

That friction washer mentioned above also has a mate below the cam plate. With all the lube, I would disassemble to clean both sides of the plate and the washers. You can file or sand the washers to make them flat again so that there is enough friction. You can and should lube the linkage ends and cam groove, just don’t get it on the washers.

• Like 1

Goldann520

Thanks a ton @lynnmor, and @Kurt-NEPA. Know now exact what to do for motion lever tightness! Tach  not working, but I've been around these things a while (not onan though) she runs out like nobody's business. Reverse quite fast. Will look into that, though,  just seems like linkage not right, but one thing at a time!

• Like 1

Kurt-NEPA
4 minutes ago, Goldann520 said:

@lynnmor@Kurt-NEPAReverse quite fast. Will look into that, though,  just seems like linkage not right, but one thing at a time!

If reverse seems to fast, adjust the linkage from the motion control lever.  That adjusts the balance point between forward and reverse. I usually adjust for a slow reverse to get maximum forward.

• Like 1

Goldann520

That's what I thought of doing, but like to do things properly, and thought it should fly both ways from the factory. Ok so as long as I have a good neutral, I can "cheat" a little. Thanks @Kurt-NEPA😊

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, Goldann520 said:

That's what I thought of doing, but like to do things properly, and thought it should fly both ways from the factory. Ok so as long as I have a good neutral, I can "cheat" a little. Thanks @Kurt-NEPA😊

In my experience it's really hard to get it "fast" both directions but forward should be faster than reverse and techinally you don't want any "wet" lube on the friction washer but a touch of dry graphite powder won't hurt to help it slide without wear, here's a couple pics of the rod linkages from the shift lever I did adjust mine where I got maximum travel both directions in the cam plate but it's still faster forward than reverse, the 7mph is xi series ,Jeff.

IMAG2067.jpg

IMAG2016.jpg

Screenshot_20171227-185028.png

Screenshot_20171227-185318.png

• Thanks 1

Goldann520

Thanks @WVHillbilly520H, for setting me straight on the speed figures (my wh ignorance) and the pics are appreciated. Now if I could figure out how to get the inspection plate off (bolts just spin, guess I gotta climb under there again, and take the deck off)

WVHillbilly520H
1 minute ago, Goldann520 said:

Thanks @WVHillbilly520H, for setting me straight on the speed figures (my wh ignorance) and the pics are appreciated. Now if I could figure out how to get the inspection plate off (bolts just spin, guess I gotta climb under there again, and take the deck off)

On the inspection plates (yes 2 the upper one on the tower and the lower trans tunnel) use 1/4-20 machine screws in "speed nuts" clipped over the frame which are probably rusted/broken causing your free spinning, I replaced all the nuts plus used button head Allen screws instead of Phillips head on the '95 than sat outside years before I got it, also with your speed issues I know your tractor only has 200+ hours but 20 years on that drive belt I would change it out for a new one I'm sure it's dry rotted/cracked and stretched from setting out, Jeff.

Screenshot_20171227-192024.png

Screenshot_20171227-192743.png

• Like 1

Goldann520

Thank you again @WVHillbilly520H, the idler spring was broken in half which I replaced, but the drive belt is slapping pretty good still. Was hoping would fit in after a while. I've always been big on changing them myself. Parking brake must have a spring broke too cause lever won't stay down. Leaving in the rain just kills em. What a shame to neglect such a regal machine.😣

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

@WVHillbilly520HWhen you guys are talking about the inspection plate,  you are talking about the"transmission hump" between your legs and the steering column/dash, and between the foot boards, correct ?

Nevermind about the plates...now I realize the two you were talking about @WVHillbilly520H@WVHillbilly520H.Those are the ones under which I found the most crud and grass clippings when I started cleaning mine.

WVHillbilly520H
6 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

@WVHillbilly520HWhen you guys are talking about the inspection plate,  you are talking about the"transmission hump" between your legs and the steering column/dash, and between the foot boards, correct ?

Yes sir, and on the parking brake lever/knob not staying down yes there's a spring and on the used one I bought, the spring is "ok" but it doesn't stay down either causing the dash light to glow, I'll get to it some time, and there's also a return spring on the brake band rod that could be rusted up too, my Anniversary never sat out but it did break a few years ago...Jeff.

• Like 2

Goldann520

Hear ye! Here ye!, another closed case for the red guys! Cleaned up cam and washer today, dried everything off as suggested, and adjusted to neutral.  (Also turnbuckle bolt at left side of disk was loose) getting 5 mph out of her now with no creeping down of the lever. Good reverse too. Takes a little while to finesse it but got it. Thanks to ALL who helped in this phase of my project. Am sure will be back soon with somethin' else, but for now Thanks Terry 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1