TIGman

Christmas snow plowing

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

We got Christmas rain, than Christmas cold. No snow.

Glenn

• Sad 2

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:Rain, wind, and cold here.

• Sad 2

PeacemakerJack
1 hour ago, TIGman said:

IMG_20171225_115518678.jpg

IMG_20171209_115538173.jpg

Showed these to dad—he’s excited to get a blade hooked up on Clyde (953) to push some snow with it.  His rig will look about like yours.  Thanks for sharing the :text-coolphotos: looks like a great time!

• Like 2

Adams94

Did the same here today and last night!  Even plowed some knee deep drifts on the county road!

IMG_1103.JPG

IMG_1104.JPG

IMG_1106.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

BOB ELLISON

@TIGman you live north of me i think and I got it here to. I had to unleash the C160 and it did quick work of the white stuff. Boy it was fun untill the blowing snow hit me in the face. and  it was cold. I think I'll have to switch over to the tri lugs, front tires were slipping and sliding.  :auto-swerve:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

TIGman
24 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Showed these to dad—he’s excited to get a blade hooked up on Clyde (953) to push some snow with it.  His rig will look about like yours.  Thanks for sharing the :text-coolphotos: looks like a great time!

Sometime ,on my wish list is a 953 tractor. ;).  Hope your Dad can get a snow plow for his tractor.  Need pictures when he does. :handgestures-thumbupright:

TIGman
7 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

@TIGman you live north of me i think and I got it here to. I had to unleash the C160 and it did quick work of the white stuff. Boy it was fun untill the blowing snow hit me in the face. and  it was cold. I think I'll have to switch over to the tri lugs, front tires were slipping and sliding.  :auto-swerve:

Yes that wind and snow was sure nasty..... I love the tri-ribs on my 1054.  Must confess, I did have fun snow plowing.  Did 3 neighbors driveways and sidewalks. :auto-swerve:;)

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

@TIGman it is really addictive isn’t it? You are helping out the neighbors and getting lots of seat time.  I find it fascinating how a tractor that is well over 50 years old can be so fun to work.

I love to document stuff with pictures and videos and so I will be sure to post pics when we get a plow on Dad’s tractor.  

• Like 4

BESTDOGEVER

Just a random thought on front tires if you could find the same tread as snowblower tires use I bet they would grab pretty good 

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, BOB ELLISON said:

unleash the C160

hehehe... sooooon....me too!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

PeacemakerJack
12 hours ago, BESTDOGEVER said:

Just a random thought on front tires if you could find the same tread as snowblower tires use I bet they would grab pretty good 

I’m assuming this is what you are talking about...

2FF6F006-60A2-4C03-BD36-A7F617221341.jpeg.74f9d622df4bb0d6763ffe7b2a9398b1.jpeg

0D8B7D9B-8C12-4BD6-B308-9E9EF5E5E7D9.jpeg.872e1c7848929e1256d092f2a847c444.jpeg

maybe @mrc will chime in and give his thoughts if he has had a chance to test these out yet:confusion-confused: They sure look cool and like they would give a fair amount of purchase to the front end...

• Like 1

1995 520H+96+97

12-10-2017 005.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

I’m assuming this is what you are talking about...

2FF6F006-60A2-4C03-BD36-A7F617221341.jpeg.74f9d622df4bb0d6763ffe7b2a9398b1.jpeg

0D8B7D9B-8C12-4BD6-B308-9E9EF5E5E7D9.jpeg.872e1c7848929e1256d092f2a847c444.jpeg

maybe @mrc will chime in and give his thoughts if he has had a chance to test these out yet:confusion-confused: They sure look cool and like they would give a fair amount of purchase to the front end...

A few words of caution about tires here.

As a commercial driver I can't believe I didn't think of this when buying my own for my tractor but I lucked out.

Be sure to double-check the load rating, especially if you're going to be moving heavy loads or installing tires on a loader tractor.

Many of the aggressive tread ATV or smaller snowblower tires are simply not made to carry a lot of weight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack
58 minutes ago, 1995 520H+96+97 said:

12-10-2017 005.JPG

Absolutely beautiful machine!!! :wicked: Have you had a chance to test out those front tires? If so, how do you like them?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sarge
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

A few words of caution about tires here.

As a commercial driver I can't believe I didn't think of this when buying my own for my tractor but I lucked out.

Be sure to double-check the load rating, especially if you're going to be moving heavy loads or installing tires on a loader tractor.

Many of the aggressive tread ATV or smaller snowblower tires are simply not made to carry a lot of weight.

Excellent point -

I've looked at some of the snow blower and atv tires before thinking they would be a great traction aid on front axles for our tractors - most are barely 2-ply rating and if you can find the specs their load capacity is down around 300-500lbs at best . A heavy nosed C,D or the newer models with a loader or two stage is going to exceed that weight easily - blowing a tire on a cold day would be no fun . I try to stick with at least heavier 4-ply and prefer 6-ply tires if I can find them . Not to mention , most of the light duty atv tires are very soft - it helps with traction but the tread will wear quickly on hard pavement with a heavy tractor . I've used Carlisle Tru Power 4-ply ags for years without an issue and most of mine are loaded and run weights as well - no slip issues .

I do like the looks of the fronts that @mrc is running on that 416...maybe he can let us know what ply rating they are .

Sarge

1995 520H+96+97
1 hour ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Absolutely beautiful machine!!! :wicked: Have you had a chance to test out those front tires? If so, how do you like them?

Yes, 2016 I bought the plow, to scrape after blowing and small storms.

The tires work good summer and winter. Every tire will skid on ice. I use salt after scraping to get to the tar.

• Thanks 1

Navig8r

Just about 3" on Christmas here.... but got out with the plow.... was a first for me. 

IMAG1579.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

PeacemakerJack

Looks great! Did you enjoy it?

Navig8r
4 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Looks great! Did you enjoy it?

Thanks... worked well... Hafta get the thrower set up, as my driveway is a bit rough, and scraping it isnt helping..... Ive always used a 28" walk-behind blower (1973-74 Montgomery Wards!), so it'll be nice to sit and ride!

• Like 1

mrc

to peacemaker jack,sarge and ebinmaine, woke up christmas morning to several inches of snow at my son-in-laws house. i watched him use the 416 and it seemed very stable. i will try to remember to look at the ply rating the next time i go out there. happy new year to everyone. mike in mass.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, mrc said:

to peacemaker jack,sarge and ebinmaine, woke up christmas morning to several inches of snow at my son-in-laws house. i watched him use the 416 and it seemed very stable. i will try to remember to look at the ply rating the next time i go out there. happy new year to everyone. mike in mass.

Happy New Year to you as well Mike.

You should be perfectly fine with those tires on any tractor that isn't moving a heavy load such as a front-end loader or a Johnny bucket type setup.

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

@mrc thanks for the update! You should make a video of that thing in action so we can watch the fun!!!

mrc

hi men,   just got back from my son-in-laws house.  the snowblower tires on the front of the 416-8 are 2 ply.  i prefer 4 ply tires but, someone gave me a junk craftsman snowblower. i took the tires off and saved them. free is good.  regards mike in mass.

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
48 minutes ago, mrc said:

......free is good.....

It sure is! 

And I say again:

Use what ya have! 

:text-bravo:

• Like 2