p38js

Gt14 wiring

p38js

I have a GT14 that i’m Trying to re-wire.  The tractor was a complete basket case when I bought it. The wiring was mostly gone, I was told the tractor was running and mowing the grass when the piston cracked. At that point the tractor sat for a while not sure how long.  In my research to start the wiring I found this wiring diagram and service bulletin to use a 8362 switch.  The tractor does not have points l’m assuming this is an electronic ignition.  Will this switch work with this type of ignition system.  The switch I bought 8362 seems to be the same switch that was on the tractor.  I would like to keep this ignition system and not switch to a points type of system at this point.  I’m getting ready to apply power and I just what to make sure I will not let the magic smoke out of any of the expensive ignition parts.

6578AFD2-6472-47DA-BE16-CC35E94B5B6C.jpeg

549E5738-DD98-44C0-8B04-3C1F4119D8AB.jpeg

• Like 1

cafoose

Check out these threads:

gwest_ca

You do not apply power to the ignition. That is what releases the magic smoke. The single ignition wire is grounded by the ignition switch in the OFF position to shut the engine off. Leave that ignition wire disconnected and isolated until you get everything else working. That way there is no chance of a slip or mistake. To stop the engine just ground that ignition wire on the chassis.

Garry

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

p38js

Ok so here is the wiring diagram I used.  I don’t fully trust this diagram.  Because the way it shows is that you have to turn the key to the start position and then turn the PTO switch on for the power to get to the start solenoid.  I assume i’m reading that correctly.  And then the fact that the lights will not work once the PTO is engaged.  I ran a wire straight from the key to the solenoid. And the PTO switch only to the PTO8FAF9A83-809B-4FAE-AED3-7D049035E13D.png.264794d05a0d7c40c0fee7489c07b964.png

CBAA9878-2A80-4CBE-AE40-5EC06A70C5D8.jpeg

oldredrider

The PTO switch acts as a safety. PTO on...no start. 

The GT-14 uses a 4 position switch. Off, acc/run, run and start. The wiring diagram is correct.

• Excellent 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, p38js said:

I don’t fully trust this diagram.  Because the way it shows is that you have to turn the key to the start position and then turn the PTO switch on for the power to get to the start solenoid.  I assume i’m reading that correctly.  And then the fact that the lights will not work once the PTO is engaged.  I ran a wire straight from the key to the solenoid. And the PTO switch only to the PTO

The diagram is correct. The PTO switch has two active positions, in the "OFF" position the wire from the key switch "S" terminal will be connected to the wire going to the solenoid. When the PTO switch is in the "ON" position the wire from the "L" terminal of the ignition switch (connected at the cigarette lighter) will send power to the electric PTO.

As @oldredrider said, the switch has four position and needs to be moved back one position after starting to allow the PTO to be powered.

Hope this helps.

• Excellent 1

p38js

I see it now I will have to re-wire that switch to match the diagram 

• Like 2

953 nut

By the way, the ignition switch diagram shows #6 GA wire going to the B and S terminals, well that is BS! #6 is the size of your pinkie finger, A #12 GA wire will do the trick.

• Like 3

p38js

Yea I used #8 and that was a lot of fun to work with.

• Haha 2

pfrederi

I think the 6 ga was leftover from earlier models that didn't have solenoids and used the ignition switch itself to power the starter

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1