mpoore

1057 Mower Deck Confusion

mpoore

I just found a 1057 in rough shape, but with two good engines and a deck. The deck mounting has me baffled. There is what looks like a mule drive from a newer tach-a-matic mounted on a bar that wraps around and bolted to the front frame. There is also an unused pulley mounted to the frame under the engine. The unused pulley looks like it might be used for a mower deck similar to the arrangement on my L-105. The deck on the 1057 appears to be attached to a mid-hitch - similar to yet different than the tach-a-matic mid hitches. What few pictures I have found online of a 1057 with a deck mounted show the belts routed down from the engine rather than forward.

Were mower decks optional on a 1057? Does what I describe above sound like a custom job or a retrofit kit to use a newer deck on an older tractor?

gwest_ca

Does it look like this one? Click on the picture.

Garry

WHX??

Some pics here would help but sounds like a PO somewhere over the years adapted a late style deck to an older tractor with a front mount mule drive. The original would have ran straight down to a pulley system below the PTO. Here are some pics of what it would have looked like with the correct deck as in the manual above. This is a 1067 but same tractor only a six speed.

Different size  mower decks as well as the PTO were optional on all tractors.

20160524_181025 (2).jpg

20160524_181133.jpg

I might add there are some extra springs in these pics that were added by a PO for belt tensioning.

• Like 3

ACman

:text-yeahthat:....Just some extra pics of my survivor 1057 . Some pics would help us help you .,

8FFF72FD-8EC5-4CC9-B562-26D1F8C55B6F.thumb.jpeg.f7da9a39dbc5ef4bddb1a6630c319c6a.jpeg

9E472FC1-9CD9-49FF-A928-46218DC3B173.thumb.jpeg.8ebab6eb81dafc05a1ecd5d028a29712.jpeg

• Like 3

953 nut

Take a look at this post, it should answer your questions.

• Excellent 3

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:Excellent example of a late model deck on an early model frame. That little pulley looking thingy may be broke off on yours as it is missing in mine hence the extra springs for belt tension. Note Jeff's tractor still has the original early design on it.  Early designs were prone to breaking off therefore redesigned beefier bracket as in @dclarke 's pic. This whole setup was prone to issues so lots were converted to the front mule drive. Late decks in decent shape are more available these days helped too.

DSC06794_JPG_8f60d20e843b501804168734ff576210.jpg

Not sure if retro kits were offered or not? :confusion-shrug:

• Like 1

pfrederi

Sometime between the original set ups shown in the post above and the modern front mounted mule drive Wheel Horse used this forerunner of the new mule drive.  Does yours look like this???

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG

• Like 3

mpoore

Thanks guys. You saved me a lot of time with great examples of the various setups. This will be especially helpful since there are missing parts. It looks like I have a little of both, but the mule drive forerunner is what is being used to operate the deck. I now have pictures. It ain't pretty.

The lift lever is currently attached to cables that go to the rear hitch. Was this used to raise rear implements? I am guessing that something is missing that would make the purpose more evident.

I think I may have over-paid at $125, but I did get two engines that will run after carb cleaning. The problem I see is the number of missing or broken parts. Just a partial list of the obvious includes seat bracket, steering wheel, tires, belts, flywheel cover, seized mower deck bearings, pin holes in mower deck, air filter housing, battery, and wiring. I should be able to get my money back getting the engines running and selling them along with whatever usable parts remain. The restorable parts don't seem rare, so I am not even sure it's worth the time.

It is probably sacrilege on this board to part out a WH, but do you guys see another option without this turning into a money pit? A full restore is not going to happen. Getting it running well and fully functional with a deck might make it worth $300-$400, but that is probably less than the rehab cost. Even that price might be wishful thinking given appearance.

What do you guys think?

CIMG1556.JPG

CIMG1557.JPG

CIMG1558.JPG

CIMG1559.JPG

pfrederi

You have the interim mule drive like the one in my photos above just are missing the protective plate over the front.  There is a spring that goes from the arm to a  small tab that would be bolted to the frame of the tractor.

oldredrider

I see a diamond in the rough. Engine is not original but OK. You certainly didn't get burned at that price. Extra engines are worth more than the sale price. 

Personally,  I think you got a great deal. Excellent candidate for a refresh or restore. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

gwest_ca

Looks like that idler assembly only came with the 36" decks 1969-1972

1969 36" RD deck model 5-7365

1970 36" RD deck model 5-7366

1971 36" RD deck model 5-0600

1972 36" RD deck model 5-0601

1971 36" SD deck model 5-0710

1972 36" SD deck model 5-0711

A later manual that covers them all

Garry