Copper116

Dozer (snow) blade lift rod replacement

Ed Kennell

:text-goodpost:     :thanks: for sharing.    They would probably also work for mower deck height adjustment rods.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, Copper116 said:

instead of buying one off Ebay for $30.00 +/-

Some of the prices being asked on Ebay are unconscionable. Thanks for sharing, and next time you are in Ace thank the salesperson for us.

• Like 4

KC9KAS

@Copper116 I have used 3/8" "L" bolts for this many time! Glad you found this to work for you without too much expense and aggravation!

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

skrusins

Is there a picture of cement anchor bolt . I would more info. Thanks

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
Anchor Bolt, L Hook, 3/4-10x3-3/4 In, PK20
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

skrusins

Thanks, just what I was looking for. I'm going to Home Depot to pick a couple up. Do they come in different lengths?

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Good ol' Michigan :wh: smarts...

Good thinking copper116!

:text-bravo:

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
53 minutes ago, skrusins said:

Thanks, just what I was looking for. I'm going to Home Depot to pick a couple up. Do they come in different lengths?

Not sure, the one in the picture was 3/8-16 X1.5" thd with 8" overall length.

A box of 50 was $28 bucks and change.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1

rjg854
17 hours ago, Copper116 said:

My snow plow lift rod broke while clearing the driveways here in Michigan.  Of course it always happens when you're at the farthest distance from the barn.  I have a C160 made in the mid 70's.  It's a plowing machine.  Once I managed to limp it back to the barn... I had to get it repaired.  I made a trip to the True Value hardware store to buy some 3/8" steel rod; figuring I'd make one on my own... a sales assistant suggested a cement anchor bolt that is 3/8" in diameter, threaded on the correct end and bent on a 90 degree angle on the other end... Well, I compared it to the original and it matched perfectly !!!  So instead of buying one off Ebay for $30.00 +/-..... it worked great and cost me less than $3.00 and that is buying two so I'd have a spare!    All I had to do was drill the bent end for a cotter pin or whatever you like to use.... It worked great.   Just my 2 cents to help you all and save you some serious $$$ .  

can you get some pictures?  You know how much we love :text-coolphotos:

Sarge

Those bolts are made in several different shapes and some come in lengths of up to 3' long - compared to making the part from scratch it's a no-brainer and generally those bolts are made from some pretty decent steel . They are designed to anchor a structure , post or similar and have to withstand the acids in concrete mixes and can easily take a lot of torque when tightening the nut down . Over the years I've probably had to set several hundred on different structural pours - we use those a lot in sizes up to 2" in diameter . Almost always spares and scrap bins on job sites - a lot of new bolts show up there ....just saying but always ask as it's hard to tell what they intend to throw away and what is being put aside to finish the job .

https://www.mcmaster.com/#concrete-anchors/=1arlpli

Sarge

Copper116

They are usually much less than a dollar and I'd suggest using nylon lock nuts to keep it from moving over time.  Thanks Ed Kennell for posting the photo/image.  

Edited by Copper116