Skipper

A Christmas wish come true.....and then the strangest thing happened

KC9KAS

@Skipper That is a great story and you did a fine job fixing up that Raider10 for the youngster!

I bet he had a smile on his face from ear to ear!

• Like 2

Skipper

Thank you Sir

It was just a light touch up, but yeah, I think it looks nice. And yes he sure had a big smile plastered all over. It puzzled him a bit though, how it had turned up nicer than the pictures he saw of it initially. I just blamed it on the Previous owner like all used car salesmen do ;-)

Edited by Skipper
Edited because a spell like a broken arm
  • Like 8
  • Excellent 1

jellyghost

That looks great! What is going on with the muffler?  Is that a common modification?

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

A great story, strange how things work out. Good for you.

Glenn

• Thanks 1

Skipper
5 hours ago, jellyghost said:

That looks great! What is going on with the muffler?  Is that a common modification?

I have newer seen that before either, but it was rather quiet, so my guess is that it functions as a resonator.

@stevasaurus Perhaps the PO knows the story behind that?

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Thanks Tom for letting me know what happened with that Raider.  I'll bet my Dad is smiling also.  Just so you know, it only set for 2 years because I was not mowing my Mom's yard anymore...glad you figured out the starter.  I'm not sure if my Dad did that muffler thingy, but it does work.  That is all galvanized, threaded pipe.  Here is a good picture of the muffler system.  :)2008_072110raider19720001.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Notfishin

very Fine think you did , and truth be told i kinda like the muffler thing . LOL 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

jellyghost

Is that pipe supported some way?  That seems like a lot of pipe to just be hanging.  If it really cuts the noise, I would like to try it.

• Like 1

Skipper

It's not supported. That's my concern also, but it seems to hold up well. Was it a tractor for my self, I would fab an exhaust that could really do something about sound reduction. This helps, but it is not anywhere close to quiet, just a step op from that loud std. muffler.

On a C120 i have, the muffler is a small back box from a car, and that is a whole lot more effective. You can get one of those , and a good strong battery when you are there, from a scrapyard/car recycler for peanuts ;-)  

• Like 3

stevasaurus

I always thought that pipe set up was a lot to be suspended also, but it does not move or rattle when using the tractor to mow.  I've mowed my Mom's since 2003...once a week and about 1/2 acre with no problems with that horse.  The starter problem was actually with the starter on my B-100...I switched them a few years ago.  I just never got back there to fix the one I switched.

That horse is on the loud side.  I doubt there is some kind of baffle inside that larger pipe.  Also, those little can mufflers like what is on there, are not that great either.  :)

• Like 2

Goofey

Just stumbled on this. Know it's an old thread, but couldn't help being a little touched by it. Thanks for that great story. Think it tells a lot about the kind of people that are on this forum. Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ohiofarmer

A Raider 10 is what got me started on WHA. I already had a 416 and 520, but they do not speak to me as the old ones do.  I just picked up another yesterday...

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1