Tgtack

Repower for a model 654 suggestions.

Tgtack

I have a very nice model 654 that I want to swap over to for lawn care from my model 857. It currently does not have an engine on it. Has anyone swapped in an 8hp Kohler before? With the starter/generator I don't think it would fit because of the location of the 654 fuel tank. I am only considering vintage motors, and do not want to modify the tractor. So what is the largest HP Kohler or Tecumseh engine that will fit? I don't mind using a newer Kohler that has the more modern ignition and smaller starter. I am just afraid a 6hp engine may not be enough HP for mowing. What are your thoughts?

953 nut

854 had a Kohler, take a look at the manual and compare it to yours.

May be able to swap out the hood and tank or relocate the tank.

• Like 2

Jerry77
3 hours ago, Tgtack said:

I am just afraid a 6hp engine may not be enough HP for mowing.

Don't know the size of your deck, but I mowed for two decades with a 37 inch deck and a 7 hp kohler engine - never ran out of power....:twocents-02cents:

KC9KAS

I recently put a 8 hp Kohler in my 654.

I had to rotate the S/G over center to get it to clear the fuel tank. By doing this, I had to modify the belt tightening bracket and it became a "pull" (the generator) to tighten vs. the original "push" (the generator) to tighten.

Now this created another issue...Battery! I put the battery under the seat!

Oh, and the belt guard has to have a little attention to mount to the Kohler vs. the Tecumseh.

It actually works out well.

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Pretty sure those model 854's had a longer hood...

to accommodate them larger 8hp air cleaners. 

• Like 2

Tgtack
4 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

I recently put a 8 hp Kohler in my 654.

I had to rotate the S/G over center to get it to clear the fuel tank. By doing this, I had to modify the belt tightening bracket and it became a "pull" (the generator) to tighten vs. the original "push" (the generator) to tighten.

Now this created another issue...Battery! I put the battery under the seat!

Oh, and the belt guard has to have a little attention to mount to the Kohler vs. the Tecumseh.

It actually works out well.

KC9KAS  Can you post some pictures of it please.

4 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Pretty sure those model 854's had a longer hood...

to accommodate them larger 8hp air cleaners. 

Yep, longer hoods and a set back gas tank.

KC9KAS
6 hours ago, Tgtack said:

KC9KAS  Can you post some pictures of it please.

I will try to do that later today.

Tgtack
22 hours ago, 953 nut said:

854 had a Kohler, take a look at the manual and compare it to yours.

May be able to swap out the hood and tank or relocate the tank.

I have a 754, it and the 854 used the longer hood and the aluminum gas tank. The 604/654 used a shorter all metal hood with the gas tank under the hood with the fill neck protruding through the hood. I don't want to physically modify the look of it, would just like a little more HP for mowing. I have a 7HP Tecumseh that would likely fit (intended for the 754), also have a Kohler 161T manual start that I was going to put on it till I noticed it has the hole for the ignition switch on the original hood stand plate. Bought it thinking it was a 604 but in reality is a 654. Someone started a restore on it mid 90's, never finished and put 604 decals on the belt guard.

Here are some pictures of it, the steering wheel is a new part that had been purchased back in mid 90's, still has Toro parts tag on it. Is pretty clean, color is a little off and hood needs some attention from bugger welding underneath.

100_2533.JPG

100_2500.JPG

100_2505.JPG

• Like 1

keefer66

my dad swapped out the techie for a 7hp kohler 2 years after he bought his 654. He mounter the starter/generator towards the front under the carb, but had to extend the hood 2-3' at the seam and a piece of flat steel at the bottom. we (my brothers and i ) ran the snot out of it till it was sold to buy our 78 c-120. wish i could find pics of the 654