Petes Horse

D160 lift cylinders and pump pressure

Petes Horse

Hello everyone, I just finished getting my hydraulics back together and I'm having some trouble. The hydro motor works in both directions but the cylinders won't move.

I rebuild and cleaned everything and I'm pretty sure I got it all back together correctly. well, no parts left over anyway.

I'm spinning the pump counter clockwise with a drill at maybe a hundred rpm. When I move the levers I get nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks, Pete

953 nut
6 minutes ago, Petes Horse said:

spinning the pump counter clockwise with a drill at maybe a hundred rpm.

Your engine operates at 1500 to 3000 RPMs during normal operation!            :wacko:

• Like 1

Petes Horse

I was hoping to get all of the air out and test it. I thought it would work but just very slowly :)

It's going to be a while before I get the engine done. Would have been nice to see the lifts work.

953 nut

I suppose you could mount the pump on the frame and use an electric motor that rums 1800 +/- RPM

daveoman1966

Did you get this CHARGE PUMP HOUSING mounted correctly.  It is possible to mount it 180 degree out of phase....backwards. 

If you did not ...or don't remember... open the pump to make sure.   

end cap-10.jpg

1 (103).JPG

• Like 3

Petes Horse

Not sure. I tried different directions when I reassembled it and thought it only went in in one way. That might explain why the wheels are working and not the lifts.

Is counterclockwise the right direction to spin it? Could the check valves and implement valve stop it at such low rpm?

I will definitely be taking a lot more pictures of what I'm doing that's for sure.

Petes Horse

You're right that's what I had to do.

Just pulled the plug out above the temperature sender. When I spin it counter clockwise it pulls a vacuum. Clockwise it pumps oil out.

That doesn't look right. Oh well, I do need the practice.

pacer

The pump does run counter clockwise - and as far as using a drill motor for a check, I have done that MANY times and it proves a very reliable check. I "modified" an 11/16 12 point socket to get on the splines of the pump. I can get every thing checked this way without mounting the engine - Only one time I had a bit of a trial getting the system bled, but just kept at it and finally everything worked!

No idea as to why your cyls dont work and the wheels do move......

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

daveoman1966
1 hour ago, Petes Horse said:

Not sure. I tried different directions when I reassembled it and thought it only went in in one way. That might explain why the wheels are working and not the lifts.

Is counterclockwise the right direction to spin it? Could the check valves and implement valve stop it at such low rpm?

I will definitely be taking a lot more pictures of what I'm doing that's for sure.

The CHARGE PUMP HOUSING can be mounted backward.  It will bolt down in either ONE of TWO ways.  What I've shown in the pic is the CORRECT way. YUou'll have to remove the hyd pump to know for sure...unless you have taken pics during the reassembly.

Petes Horse

Doh!

Pump.JPG.5cc3df3c889c135f5d6ce15fdb81edae.JPG

Thanks for the help. That was it. That would have taken me forever to figure out.

The wheels still move but not the cylinders. I think I'll pull the implement relief valve tomorrow. Maybe it's stuck open.

The 11/16 socket is a good idea I'll be fitting one tomorrow. My nut and bold idea isn't holding up.

Thanks, Pete

• Like 1

daveoman1966

Glad to be of help.  ..:USA::USA:

pfrederi

You should run a charge pump pressure test and an implement relief pressure test.

Petes Horse

Have the last part sorted out. I had the relief and implement valves reversed. At least I'm consistent :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1