WHnoob

Dozer/Snow Blade Broken Tip Spring

WHnoob

This fall I picked up a 48" dozer/snow blade (looks like model #79350) from a seller on CL.  Unfortunately at time of purchase I didn't notice one of the tip springs is broken, and it is missing the angle adjustment linkage rod and lift rod (already ordered a solid long lift rod from WheelHorseMan).  I got it installed on my C-160 yesterday and it did fine in 1" of snow with just the one spring, but I'm worried it will tip too easily when the snow gets deeper (or that one will break too!).  Replacement springs on eBay seem to run $70+, or almost half the price of a complete blade setup.  Is there a cheaper replacement spring available that can be installed on the existing end brackets?  

Also I plan to fabricate the missing angle adjustment linkage.  Is it better to use 3/8" or 1/2" steel rod?

pfrederi

WH used 1/2"

Check with A to Z tractor (vendor here) and put a want ad for your spring...

Sarge

I think most of the angle adjustment rods are 1/2"-5/8" solid round stock - I make my own replacements out of 304SS when needed , really hate rust and Illinois is the breeding ground for it . I'd hunt around on the forum classifieds and if nothing else post a wanted ad - the prices on the auction site are inflated to stupid levels on most parts these days ....

Sarge

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Those springs screw into the rod ends, if it only broke off at the bottom of the rod ends like one I had last year for an xi series, I just used an angle grinder and cut them down till they were even and screwed them back onto the rod ends, you may have to drop down a hole or 2 where the top rod runs through the blade moldboard but it will still "trip" as it should, also a set of skid shoes will help keep the cutting edge from wearing out,  Jeff.

IMAG2548.jpg

• Like 4

WHnoob

Thanks! It did break right at the bottom bracket, so it did cross my mind to just screw the (now shorter) spring back onto the bracket. I'd rather not cut the good spring to match though.IMG_0943.JPG.18a48fc01588f63013b40893d4646918.JPG

Looks like I have a "hairpin" or two to replace as well!

WVHillbilly520H

2 coils probably won't matter much but the one I had broke 4+ on side so I made them even, if you have a bench vise pinch the rod bracket soak the "thread" and spring with your favorite penatrant and use a pair of channel lock pliers to remove the remanant spring, you may have to grind the new bottom of the long portion to get it screw back together, good luck, Jeff.

elcamino/wheelhorse

@WVHillbilly520H Jeff did you make the small slid plates on the back of your blade.? Can you provide a photo of the back of the blade so I can get some made. 

gwest_ca

There is a good illustration of the skid available from Toro. Click on the fuzzy picture and click on it again after the page opens and it will enlarge.

If you want a slight shock click on this link

http://www.partstree.com/parts/search/parts/?searchTerm=92-6840

Garry

• Like 1

WHnoob

I received a replacement spring via my want ad, though I haven't installed it yet. Figured you'd like some pictures since I got the proper solid lift installed - what a difference! With the lift chain connected to the plow it wouldn't lift high enough to latch it up, so I had to constantly hold it when backing up. Also zip-tied the angle lever to keep it from flopping into the PTP and brake pedal until I can fab up the angle linkage rod. Of course we've only gotten a couple 1-2" storms since then. Most of yesterday's was further east.

IMG_0999.JPG

IMG_1001.JPG

• Excellent 1