Mal(Pa)

plowing 4 inches of snow steering problem

Mal(Pa)

Hi everyone, first off I am used to plowing with a Ford 12 hp and had no steering problems.Today I used my Whee Horse 414-8. plowing my driveway in 2nd gear and and trying to steer either way, front wheels  will easily slide straight ahead instead of turning where I want it to go.Chains on rear tires. My question is #1 is the rear differential different,as locked to straight drive or #2 does the slightly shorter wheel base on the Horse as compared to the Ford make the difference.They are pretty much matched, same width plow,same size tires and chains.I would like to use the Horse but feel compelled the continue using the Ford. Any helpful ideas are appreciated.Oh,The snow was only 4 inches deep. Thanks, Mal:unsure:

• Like 3

plumb-r

Does your horse have a solid bar to lift the and lower the plow? If so maybe you are applying a little bit too much down force and actually lifting the front wheels causing  you to lose steering. Just a thought. The PO of my tractor set it up with a chain to lift and lower the plow. It allows the blade to float. As I said just a thought.☺

• Like 3

Mal(Pa)
16 minutes ago, plumb-r said:

Does your horse have a solid bar to lift the and lower the plow? If so maybe you are applying a little bit too much down force and actually lifting the front wheels causing  you to lose steering. Just a thought. The PO of my tractor set it up with a chain to lift and lower the plow. It allows the blade to float. As I said just a thought.☺

It has the original chain lift.I looked up the wheel base to compare them. 45.5 for the WH and 49 for the Ford. Maybe I am expecting too much and I can now see why some members are putting ag lug tires on the front. Thanks for the reply.     Mal

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Some are using a sprocket chain to create a "steering rib" on the front tires.

• Like 2

Cvans

I was having that problem  when trying to turn when the blower was down. Bought a set of 2 link chains to put on the front wheels and that pretty much took car of the problem. 

Was it icy under the snow you were plowing?

• Like 2

midpack

I wrapped some #40 chain around the front tires to create a center "rib". made a whole lot of difference!

• Like 3

Lost Pup

I own a 417-8. Adding chains, wheel weights and loading tires gives great traction to plow large piles of snow but at times causes loss of front wheel traction. Most clearly when turning.

I tend to plow the large piles in a straight speed full throttle (2nd or 3rd gear ) power run to clear them from the driveway.

New front ( loading them ) tires and adding a bracket and weight to the front of the tractor will help as well. I put new turfs on and it did help.  I have a blacktop driveway so I never tried the chain method.

Just slowing down is a requirement at times and just lifting the plow a bit to let the front tires grab again. Your now driving over snow and then having to do another clean up pass.

• Like 2

Sarge

One of the best things I've learned is to keep a good sharp cutting edge on your blade . I run loaded tires , weights and such as well as ag's on the front axle - they all help a lot but if those tires can't get to the pavement they can and will side slip . I upgraded the D's 56" blade to a hardened 1055 cutting edge and it scrapes hard enough to damage black top - but that front axle always goes where you point it and there is no added weight to the front of the D . It will easily windrow frozen material off the edge of the streets long after the city plow has done it's work and left a mess - I'm pretty impressed with how well that blade works now , as stock it wasn't very good .

5a33f5c8bc798_20161014_1918551.jpg.c72c286833834d1870b2df2972047bed.jpg

Got the iron off the big auction site - pre-beveled 1055HC . Pretty reasonable price for a length of pre-beveled hardened steel . AR400 would be nice , but I can't afford that stuff , lol .

Sarge

• Like 1

Mal(Pa)

Guys, thanks for the ideas.Now I can try some of them.I'll see what works for me.  Mal   :rolleyes:

• Like 1