ClassicTractorProfessor

What pays for your Horse addiction

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Ed , Did you get to drive the truck that pulled that trailer or the truck that pushed it ?No wonder you like to tinker with the :wh: , it keeps you hands busy while your brain is working on bigger problems. You have had one heck of a career .

Nope, never drove that rig Jim.  A Ford N/P Super Major tractor  towing a three wagon train of baled hay was the biggest rig I ever drove.

I think that is a picture of  the Aswan High Dam runner that we trucked to Pittsburg, Pa. where  a ramp was built so the entire 300 Ton  rig could be driven on to a special barge.

It was then towed down the Ohio river, across the big pond to Egypt, and  right up the Aswan River to the dam site.

My oldest son Mark, although he  doesn't drive the truck, as Manager of Voith Field  Service, he is responsible for the installation of all Voith Hydro projects in North  and South America.

• Like 7

ClassicTractorProfessor

Glad you guys are enjoying the thread...I too find it interesting the diversity of our members...

I too consider myself a Jack of all trades...My first job in high school was for a local farmer...done everything from taking care of his cattle to harvesting wheat and driving grain trucks...even did some repair and maintenance work on his equipment.

Then my senior year of high school I was in the welding shop one afternoon and the owner of a local oilfield service came by...he took one look at my welding and I was immediately hired after school and on weekends to work as a fabricator in his shop. 

After graduation I was going in the Navy, but took a temporary summer position with the county until I shipped out...made it through 4 weeks of training before I was medically separated due to a knee injury from years back flaring up again.

Upon returning home, I worked for a short while as a janitor/maintenance man for the school I graduated from, then in a tire shop, and finally scored another oilfield job doing pretty much the same thing I'm doing now, all the while serving as a volunteer firefighter for my small town.

After the oilfield shut down in 09, I worked for a while as a carpenter, then for a salvage yard,and then in a mechanic shop, before opening my own business remodeling houses. Also did some side farm work during this time.

In summer of 2014 I was in a bad car accident that left me confined to a wheelchair for a while and ultimately causing me to close the doors on my construction and remodeling business...ended up moving to southeast Oklahoma and working for the Choctaw nation building crates for the military until I could get back on my feet, which is when I purchased my bucket truck and started my own landscaping and tree service. Ironically that business is what got me into Wheel Horse tractors and ultimately led me to here...did that up until the first of the summer when I took the job I am working now 

• Like 8

Ed Kennell

:text-goodpost:    :text-coolphotos:     Great read Jack....Thanks for sharing your world.

• Like 8

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

:text-goodpost:    :text-coolphotos:     Great read Jack....Thanks for sharing your world.

:text-yeahthat:

Yup Yup 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19richie66

:handgestures-thumbupright:  I second that "Yup Yup"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:      Yup     Yup    Yup.  Looking forward to meeting lots of new friends at the Big Show.            :woohoo:

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3
  • Haha 1

Ed Kennell

Nuther great story...thanks Jim, and yes, we want the pic.

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

This is a really great thread , glad @Professor1990 started it . It is very interesting to see how folks started out and what they do now. "You can't judge a book by its cover " or amount of grease under their finger nails unless it is @squonk and @Big_Red_Fred. Ok you two , what are your stories and also @stevasaurus.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

squonk

Retired or not, You don't have enough time for my story Jim! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

elcamino/wheelhorse

Come Squonky just the condensed version. If you don't tell us we will think you are a weenie and your brother @stevasauruswill be upset . You have a reputation to up hold. How about this what was the minimum wage when your started working after school and what was your first piece of crap (POS) car?  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, WHX12 said:

Tough acts to follow here fellas but I'll give it a shot.

Ha !!

I'd say ya "followed" alright....

2 hours ago, WHX12 said:

buy nice sno shovels for the Missus 

:ROTF:

What's wrong with buyin' YOU a nice shovel !!??

14 minutes ago, squonk said:

Retired or not, You don't have enough time for my story Jim! :)

C'mahn Man... spillitt!

• Like 5

squonk

:ROTF:

I left out the part about when I was a kid, I blew up model cars for a living! :woohoo:

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

AMC RULES
49 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Well, I'm going to have to do this in Chapters.

Chapter 1:   I started out painting stick figures in caves on the walls...tales of hunting beasts that are no more and things like that.  When we discovered fire, we kind of got away from hunter/gatherer and started growing crops.  We discovered fermentation, which took some time, and that is how civilization started...no more nomads.  This went on for some time.  It was hard work, but invention was the mother.  The invention of the wheel ruined everything...people lost their jobs...recession...soup lines.  It took many years for it all to even out, but we survived.  End chapter 1.  :)

source.gif.4e80a5ada83f43c4d86770eb351d656a.gif

bth_smiley2eatingpopcorn.gif.2f1d8550fbbc48835a45719c69b8a916.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

@AMC RULES Craig your turn .  Since @stevasaurus started chapter one , and it sounds like my  start. @squonk First job with a paycheck ( from the world's worst Burger Join - Hamburger cost $0.15) paid $1.00 per hour late 1964 ,first car at the same time frame 1953 Chrysler 4 door something (POS) with some thing called fluid drive ( I think ) had a clutch petal which had to be used for 1 st and reverse. 2nd and 3rd you shifted into without clutch.

• Like 7

AMC RULES

My first job was washing dishes for three Italian brothers...

nuff said...ruined me for life.  :ph34r:

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

WVHillbilly520H
2 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

My first job was washing dishes for three Italian brothers...

nuff said...ruined me for life.  :ph34r:

No not the mafia...:hilarious:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

AMC RULES

Umm...yeah, pretty much. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2