953 nut

12-7-1941

WHX??

Thanks for the reminder Richard :handgestures-thumbupright::USA:

• Like 5

ACman

76ECCF4F-7708-43AB-99E1-E54C143C8430.gif.1a7aab4a964b1a47fcbfe4985257de6e.gif let use as a nation never forget what happened on this day 76 years ago .  I can’t help but think of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s speech. To me it’s one of the most memorable speeches that I’ve heard by any president .

Edited by ACman
  • Like 5

slim67

Wasn't it Admiral Halsey who said " when we're done with them, the Japanese language will only be spoken in Hell"?

Edited by slim67
  • Like 2

953 nut
2 hours ago, slim67 said:

Wasn't it Admiral Halsey who said " when we're done with them, the Japanese language will only be spoken in Hell"?

Sadly he did make that statement. His statement didn't allow for the fact that the Japanese people were not responsible for the attack, only a few hundred military leaders from Japan caused this destruction. As with any war there were no winners, just tragic loss of life on both sides.

• Like 2

slim67
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Sadly he did make that statement. His statement didn't allow for the fact that the Japanese people were not responsible for the attack, only a few hundred military leaders from Japan caused this destruction. As with any war there were no winners, just tragic loss of life on both sides.

No different than the Nazis I suppose. The German people of today still can't live that down. I would have to think the Japanese people were just as enthusiastic about their leadership as the Germans. But who knew what was to come? 

• Like 1

953 nut

My father was born in Germany and came to the USA as a young child, the entire family became citizens and the German language was never spoken in their home. When WW2 began my father was a quality control worker at a foundry that made castings for the military. As soon as we began supporting the British war effort my father was demoted to line work because of his German heritage. He said he understood the concern and never experienced any animosity from co-workers. Nearly all of his co-workers were immigrants from European countries but all were now Americans.

slim67
16 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

My father was born in Germany and came to the USA as a young child, the entire family became citizens and the German language was never spoken in their home. When WW2 began my father was a quality control worker at a foundry that made castings for the military. As soon as we began supporting the British war effort my father was demoted to line work because of his German heritage. He said he understood the concern and never experienced any animosity from co-workers. Nearly all of his co-workers were immigrants from European countries but all were now Americans.

My inlaws were young children in Nazi Germany but were told what the Nazis wanted them to hear and believe. My father in laws family even had property seized by them. It goes to show you just cant trust the government !

• Like 2