ebinmaine

Is the High range of an 8 spd the same as 4 speed gearing?

ebinmaine

How do the gears divide out?

Is low, crawler?

I ask because I want to SLOW down my tractor - in reverse especially - for backing trailers... But also for crawling through the woods forward.

So am I correct in assuming an 8 - speed in LOW  is a lot slower than a 4??

• Like 1

953 nut

Image result for yes

In high range it is the same as a 4 speed, low range is a crawl. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Image result for yes

In high range it is the same as a 4 speed, low range is a crawl. 

hahahaha

Nice colorful response Richard...Thanks!

• Thanks 1

Tankman

I never use the low (crawl) gears. Most I believe could walk faster.  :laughing-rofl:

• Haha 2

SylvanLakeWH

I used 1 low one time...forgot it was in gear, went and got a cold adult beverage, drank it on the back patio and then sat back down on the tractor...didn't notice that it had moved...

:ROTF:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

pacer
34 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

.didn't notice that it had moved...

Boy, thats about the truth - when you hear the saying "grandmaw slow/low" then thats it!!

953 nut

I used first/low once when I wandered off into some soft stuff mowing along a ditch and had to push to get it rolling. Worked rather well! Even as slow as I move I knew it wouldn't get away from me.   :woohoo:

• Like 3

Pullstart

I love low range.. so much that I put an 8 speed from a parts C-101 into my 502!  The low/3rd is just slower than high/1st, for comparison I do believe.

• Excellent 1

TDF5G
4 hours ago, 953 nut said:

I used first/low once when I wandered off into some soft stuff mowing along a ditch and had to push to get it rolling. Worked rather well! Even as slow as I move I knew it wouldn't get away from me.   :woohoo:

Yep low range is good for that.   :handgestures-thumbupright:  I've mowed some mighty thick heavy grass/weeds in low range with my B-80 a couple of times too.  

Edited by TDF5G

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, pullstart said:

I love low range.. so much that I put an 8 speed from a parts C-101 into my 502!  The low/3rd is just slower than high/1st, for comparison I do believe.

Yeah. That's the ticket right there.

I like to keep the engine around half way of the throttle so as to keep oil moving inside and air moving outside of the engine block. I noticed once when pulling a little over a thousand pounds of wood at too low of an idle it got really really warm smelling.

Forward Motion is not normally a problem with as low as first gear already goes. Reverse, however, is a bit challenging sometimes. I'm trying to back this thing into some very tight places between trees and on VERY rough ground to get turned around with the 8 foot long log trailer. .... Sounds like an 8-speed would be the answer.

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Lee1977

Backing a one axle trailer on rough ground is always tough, it never goes where you want it. A two axle trailer on rough ground isn't great but it's better the the one axle.

Cvans

If you think your ever going to use a tiller behind your tractor low range is the ticket. Especially if it is unbroken soil. 

• Like 4

Pullstart
6 hours ago, Cvans said:

If you think your ever going to use a tiller behind your tractor low range is the ticket. Especially if it is unbroken soil. 

That was the main reason I put the 8 speed in the 502, to run a 36" tiller with it.  It's also great for letting the kids puts around and I can always be there to pop the clutch if needed...

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

WHX??
6 hours ago, Cvans said:

going to use a tiller behind your tractor

The design of the eight speeds were geared (pun intended) around ground engaging attachments. :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
On 12/6/2017 at 12:50 PM, WHX12 said:

Right out the manual....

Capture.JPG

:thanks: for sharing that! 

19 hours ago, Cvans said:

Mmmmm..... could be a possibility in the future. ....

elcamino/wheelhorse

I don't use low range often , but if the turf tires start spinning for what ever reason , drop it low and it will crawl out. Planning on putting a 8 speed on the Commando 800 refresh.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:My eight speed 5060 with ags and weights will crawl just about out of anything unless the tranny gets hung up on dirt but just like getting hung up on a snow drift in the truck five minutes with a shovel and your out.Should load the tires one of these days. Very seldom use the low kinda like the low range 4wd in the truck but nice to have when you need it.

I  recently crunched the hi/low range gear in a eight you might be interested in EB...thread in transmissions.