jebbear

856 Starter Generator

jebbear

I have an 856 tractor with a Delco Remy starter/generator, Model #1101973 that gave up the ghost. Had it tested at a local shop & said that the armature was bad. Does anyone know if there is a parts crossover listing that might indicate other compatible models for either parts (armature) or complete replacement. I also have another starter, Model #1101974 that almost looks identical, but is about an inch shorter in length. Engine is an 8HP Kohler K181-S. Any leads or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

WHX??

Holy smokes Dan he has the whole regulator too for only 16 bucks ...why you got me repairing old ones then! :ychain:

You can probably find a used one too Jeb.. they are pretty common but shape might be questionable . Try A-Z tractors in the vendor section here or post an ad in wanted. You might be able to use the shorter one if it fits the mounting bracket.

• Like 1

mikeeyre74

I think I have one of those for sale... it’s WH rotation I believe. Had it rebuilt for my old Economy tractor and have since sold that. I’ll try and find a picture... it’s CW rotation and was just rebuilt. I was trying to get $75 for it to recoup some of the $100 that I have into the thing gettting rebuilt but I’ll take whatever a fair price and shipping is if you’re not close. 

953 nut
13 hours ago, jebbear said:

have another starter, Model #1101974 that almost looks identical, but is about an inch shorter in length

:WRS:          The shorter S/G was used on vertical shaft engines.

• Thanks 1

mikeeyre74

Here it is:

S/G

WHX??
8 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

The shorter S/G was used on vertical shaft engines.

Never saw a S/G on a vert Richard ....got any :text-coolphotos: ?

jebbear

Thanks for all of the info guys. I'll keep my eyes open for what might come available. Actually, this LITTLE event with the starter was the catalyst to start me into bigger things. I have now decided to totally restore the entire tractor over the winter, so I may be back here with many questions. Mike - thanks for the listing on your starter, I'll keep looking if I can come up with anything closer to me to avoid shipping costs, but otherwise I may be getting back to you. After all, since I got into this major (fun) project with the restoration, I am not in any hurry as I am guessing this might take a while. Thanks again all, you guys are the best.

• Like 2

WHX??
18 minutes ago, jebbear said:

Thanks again all, you guys are the best.

Your welcome & no problem Jeb. Feel free to put up some pics of your little red project as we're always interested in those and of course try and help out with any problems along the way.

• Like 2