dclarke

Raider 8 winter project

dclarke

Thanks for the comments, Sarge and kudos to you also for everything you do for the greatest generation. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Today I got the tranny cleaned up and ready to go back together, I've had several trannys apart and this one is in the best shape of any I've worked on. I'm going to replace the seals and the outer axle bearings on this one. I also looked everything else over pretty good and made a list of parts then called Shirley and asked her and her husband to stop by. I went over everything with her and she has agreed to proceed so I'll be ordering parts tomorrow. 

DSC06837.JPG

I'll be placing a "wanted" ad in the classifieds for a nice pair of rear hubs like the one pictured. If anyone has a couple with good keyways I'd be interested. They are for a 1" shaft. 

DSC06835.JPG

• Like 6

oldredrider

Surely, Shirley is gonna "want you to proceed" You've got her baby I'm pieces!!   :ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Going to look top shelf when your finished Denny.

Glenn

• Thanks 1

WHX??

Just chiming in to follow Denny and say nice work! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Are you replacing all the transmission bearings? I would have thought to leave them in if not?

Also are the hubs that bad a second set crew will not fix?

• Like 1

rmaynard

It's always good to have a rebuild thread to follow during the long gloomy winter months. You are doing a great job and a fine service for this nice lady. :handgestures-salute:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

dclarke
1 hour ago, WHX12 said:

Just chiming in to follow Denny and say nice work! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Are you replacing all the transmission bearings? I would have thought to leave them in if not?

Also are the hubs that bad a second set crew will not fix?

Hi Jim, I'm only replacing the outer axle bearings, the others seem fine and I'm trying to stay in Shirley's budget for this project so I'll reuse those. I took all the bearings out because the cases had a little rust inside them right at the drain hole so I cleaned the inside of the cases in my blast cabinet. I didn't want the glass beads in the bearings so I took them out. 
If I have to I'll add a second set screw and reuse the old hubs but I'd much rather find a set with good keyways. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Sarge

If the belt drive is causing any shock load to the transmission it would hurt those hub keys quickly - I think you mentioned she brought that up at one time . Adding the second set screw will help regardless and prevent damage to an otherwise good used hub . Anything to lock it tight to the key is a good thing .

You're really going the extra mile for her - great to see that .

Sarge

• Like 3

dclarke

This mower deck has a few issues that need to be fixed, the blades are shot and the nut that holds the idler pulley on has no threads in it and was just sitting on the bolt.  The deck belt was also really loose because the bar that the idler pulley sits on is rusted in place and one of the center baffles has a big hole that'll need patched plus several of the bolts that hold the belt cover on are broke off. On the plus side the spindle bearings are good and the deck shell is in pretty good shape. I've got a new belt, new blades and an idler pulley ordered and hopefully can get this deck cleaned up and back in good working order in a few days. 

DSC06839.JPG

DSC06841.JPG

• Like 3

dclarke

Well, I've started to go back the other way on this thing. Got the tranny put back together, the brake pad glued back to the band and a good start on making a new wiring harness. Shirley's decided to use the old tires (which are hard as a rock) so I picked up 4 tubes today, she wants the rims painted so I need to get those blasted. I've done about all I'm gonna do to the deck, replaced all the studs that hold the belt cover on, made a new shaft for the front roller and the one the lifting frame rides on, both were wore pretty good. Put new blades on, freed up the idler pulley slide bar, welded in a new idler pulley mounting bolt and replaced the gauge wheel bolts with ones the correct length. I'm waiting on a new belt and idler pulley and the deck will be done. I also got the mounting tab welded back onto the dash stand and have almost all of the parts cleaned up and ready for assembly. I'm hoping the parts I have ordered will show up this week and a member here has donated a nice set of rear hubs so Thank You for those! 

DSC06862.JPG

DSC06863.JPG

DSC06864.JPG

DSC06865.JPG

DSC06866.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

dclarke

Made a little progress today, found a couple of small cracks in the seat pan so I welded those up. Got the rear rims blasted, one rear tire had a lot of goo in it, what a mess to clean up. Working on cleaning up the engine now, getting it ready to put back on. 

DSC06880.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

dclarke

Got the engine cleaned up and mounted, wiring's done and got a package of goodies from Glen Pettit today :banana-dance:..... Not a whole lot more to do until some parts get here.

DSC06886.JPG

DSC06887.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

oldredrider

Denny, I have 1 or 3 I would like you to "go over".....!

• Like 1

dclarke
12 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

Denny, I have 1 or 3 I would like you to "go over".....!

I sure enjoy doing it, Paul but I've got a couple of my own that have been apart way too long. I need to get back to those one of these days. lol

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Really nice tutorial thread that we all can use as a guide for redos.   

Ms Shirley should be very pleased  ...She has a like new tractor that still has all the memories.     :text-bravo:

• Like 6

dclarke
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Really nice tutorial thread that we all can use as a guide for redos.   

Ms Shirley should be very pleased  ...She has a like new tractor that still has all the memories.     :text-bravo:

Thanks, Ed. It's not like new but I've fixed the cause of her biggest concern, the tractor jumped when she let out on the clutch pedal. A good used input pulley and a nice set of rear hubs took care of that. Along the way I tried to make this thing as dependable as I could and stay within a certain budget. Overall I'm pretty happy with how it came out, the hubs were donated by a fellow member and I was able to correct an overcharging problem with a good used Rect/Regulator that I had on the shelf. The only other big ticket items were the blades and belts, the rest was all small normal wear items plus a couple of things that were missing that Shirley wanted to replace, the steering wheel cap and hub caps. Shirley was a little surprised when I told her that one of our vendors (Glen Pettit) makes and could supply those items. Thanks Glen! I also have some of that grip tape that I'm gonna try to talk Shirley into letting me put on the footrests for safety reasons. 

Edited by dclarke
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Sarge

I'd say she's going to be quite pleased and probably surprised to have it back working correctly - it's probably had those issues for some time and getting that stuff fixed properly will make for a nice surprise when she uses it . The smile on their face when they leave is plenty payment enough for me - it's pretty satisfying to help out someone that is older and unable to afford or do the work themselves . Very nice job - you should be proud .

Sarge

• Like 3

Racinbob
On 12/3/2017 at 9:49 PM, dclarke said:

Does anyone know what this little pulley is for? It's located up by the attach a matic.  

On 12/6/2017 at 11:39 AM, Sarge said:

The tractor has been updated at one time or another to the newer style deck - that's a good thing and it's easier for her to deal with it in the long run . I'm sure with a few new parts here and there it should easily last another 20+ years . Might want to see what she's been using for fuel - if it's running that well I'd highly suspect it's non-ethanol - inside the carb would tell the tale quickly . I'm sure she would appreciate knowing the difference in fuel quality and what it does to the engine - her generation doesn't accept junk quality as it's not what they grew up with - such as the case with the old Horse .

I just ran across this thread. What a great thing you're doing.

The tractor hasn't been updated. 1972 was sorta a transition year and some decks used that style of mule drive. They just used the same center hitch less a couple of parts. That is likely a 5-0601 deck. The nice thing is that the newer style decks will hook right up. :)

• Like 2

dclarke

It is a 5-0601 deck, Bob. Thanks for the info! 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
19 hours ago, dclarke said:

DSC06896.JPG

Is that a special mule drive, or has the guard/bumper been added to a normal guard?     How do you tighten the deck drive belt?

• Like 1

Racinbob

It has a spring loaded idler. The front is just a cover. :)

Raider 8.JPG

dclarke
2 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

It has a spring loaded idler. The front is just a cover. :)

Raider 8.JPG

Here’s a pic of it, Ed. 

E866D9E0-18B3-4F8F-821A-D5ABBA709A0D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Ed Kennell

Cool, thanks Denny.   I have never seen this.   It raises a few questions.

Was this a  Wheel Horse kit to convert the older side drive to the newer front drives.    

IMO, this constant spring loaded belt tensioner is a better design than todays screw loaded tensioner that varies with deck height, belt stretch, and operator hand strength and in some cases creates unnecessary radial load on  bearings in the PTO, mule drive, and center deck spindle and premature belt wear.

I guess WH changed to the current front attach-a-matic and mule drive to make it a little easier and quicker to switch between mower decks and snow blowers and sacrificed the better tensioning system in the process.    The somewhat rare mule drives for the 520 60" decks still have a spring loaded drive.   Can this 520 mule drive be used on any tractor with a front attach-a-matic?

Maybe Garry has the answers.

• Like 1

dclarke
53 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Cool, thanks Denny.   I have never seen this.   It raises a few questions.

Was this a  Wheel Horse kit to convert the older side drive to the newer front drives.    

IMO, this constant spring loaded belt tensioner is a better design than todays screw loaded tensioner that varies with deck height, belt stretch, and operator hand strength and in some cases creates unnecessary radial load on  bearings in the PTO, mule drive, and center deck spindle and premature belt wear.

I guess WH changed to the current front attach-a-matic and mule drive to make it a little easier and quicker to switch between mower decks and snow blowers and sacrificed the better tensioning system in the process.    The somewhat rare mule drives for the 520 60" decks still have a spring loaded drive.   Can this 520 mule drive be used on any tractor with a front attach-a-matic?

Maybe Garry has the answers.

I don't know the answer to your questions, Ed but I do like the spring tension setup also. This is the first time I've seen this type of mule drive. Here's a better pic of it without the cover. An interesting note, neither one of these pulleys had a bearing retainer clip in them. I don't know why they stayed in place. 

DSC06814.JPG

Edited by dclarke
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Racinbob

I don't think it was a conversion but just the first front mount mule drive. If you take a look at the owners manual that's what came with it. I find it interesting that they also had the mule drive we all know in 1972. My grandsons Commando 800 has one. :)

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1