ti-jean

wheel horse 516h question ?

ti-jean

Hi we have snow here at North of Montreal Quebec so my question my engine voltage regulator is back order is that possible to run the engine without my regulator still 4 days befor a recive my parts and i would like  to my tractor  how to connect the wire ?

Edited by ti-jean

KC9KAS

I don't think you can (or should) run your engine without the voltage regulator.

I may be wrong, and hopefully someone else will chime in and agree or disagree with me!

• Confused 1

Skipper

you will run way too high voltage, fry battery and perhaps other parts too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

953 nut

I do not own an Onan so am not positive what your regulator is like. The Kohler regulator has three wires, two from the engine and one going to the "R" terminal on the ignition switch. The two from the engine supply AC voltage and the regulator converts (rectifies) it to DC. Running a Kohler with the regulator unplugged will not harm anything, just need to recharge your battery.

Based on this manual it should be the same. If your Onan has the three wire regulator like the Kohler there shouldn't be any problem.

• Like 2

cleat

The Onan charge system is very similar to the Kohler.

You can run it with the regulator unplugged.

Just keep an eye on your battery voltage and charge it before it dies.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

refracman

The Onan and Kohler regs are the same wiring configuration. In a pinch if I don’t have a spare onan reg I’ll put in the kohler spec part. The only diff is the casing. Heck it’ll even bolt right up

As to running without, yes you can, without the reg in place the power has nowhere to go. If your old one was not supplying any voltage you can put it back in or Just tape up the connector good so it doesn’t arc onto the sheet metal. 

• Like 2

ti-jean

The problem here it is no low voltage is to hight charging at 17.4 volt it burn my battery i found one on ebay for onan parts number 191-2227 12 volt 20 amp 

thanks 

Skipper

Sorry if I misunderstood. I was under the impression OP would charge the system, just bypass the regulator. Yes you can run unplugged, but do not try to rewire around the reg. If it charges too high voltage, replace as you have already said :-)

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

Like others have said, just unplug the DCV battery charging wire from the center lug on the faulty regulator.  Tape up the wire so it doesn't short to ground. 

You will have to charge the battery with an external charger.   If you remove the regulator or unplug the ACV wires, the RPM tach will not work as it is triggered by one leg of the ACV.

Have you cleaned all the lugs on the regulator and have it grounded well with the mounting screw?   I keep new regs on the shelf as they do fail and they are inexpensive {$20}. but I have found some bad regs  start working again after cleaning all connection.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@ti-jean

13 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

I don't think you can (or should) run your engine without the voltage regulator.

I may be wrong, and hopefully someone else will chime in and agree or disagree with me!

I told you that someone with more knowledge on this problem would come along and help (us)!

ti-jean

Sorry for some who misunderstood in case I did not understand well  i will whait to receive my regulator to play in snow with my tractor this forum it is essential but for thos who understand English speaking so lke in my position i am learning to understand the English speaking 

Il come back for more replies later .

KC9KAS

@ti-jean As most everyone said, you CAN use your tractor with a bad regulator. 

Yours is overcharging, so either remove the regulator from the tractor, OR just disconnect the wires from the regulator and tape them to protect them and the battery.

• Like 1

ti-jean

Good job today I blow the  dam snow in my parking lots but  , after I did a good carb clean befor I check with break cleaner to see if thy was a air leak on the carb all so on the air intake so difference the engine was surging vrouum vroumm vroumm I think it is my governor the problem  but dont no by where to begin to find the surging problem .

thank   

refracman

first i would advise NOT using  brake clean it is highly flameable and explosive

the surging is a normal problem with the onans, and almost all the time is not a governor problem but a dirty carb or fuel problem

make sure your fuel lines are in good shape and install a new fuel filter, and thoroughly clean the carb again using a good carb cleaner, any other solvent will harm the gaskets and seals 

sometimes running a gas additive will solve the issue also 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:

It required 3 carb cleanings to stop the surging in my P220 ONAN.    Dirt can be scraped off the inside of the fuel lines by the barbed carb fitting.

• Like 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, refracman said:

make sure your fuel lines are in good shape and install a new fuel filter, and thoroughly clean the carb again using a good carb cleaner, any other solvent

:text-yeahthat:  I am a firm believer in cleaning the fuel tank, and replacing the fuel line, and filter when a carb has been cleaned so you don't fowl it up again.

• Like 3

ti-jean
17 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:text-yeahthat:  I am a firm believer in cleaning the fuel tank, and replacing the fuel line, and filter when a carb has been cleaned so you don't fowl it up again.

this morning il take out the gas tank you should see what come out from the tank all kind off dirty stuff like spruce needle earth the littell screen  attache to the gas shout of valve was blocked il all so replace appart 1/4 inch fuel line bettewen the valve and the gas pump ;)

after lunch I will open the top of the carburetor to see for the second time if there's dirty stuff in there .almost certain the dirt in the gas tank was the problem I will see .how is my english speeling :)

thanks see you later chummy 

Edited by ti-jean
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

Your English speeling is super.:)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 11:19 PM, ti-jean said:

at 17.4 volt it burn my battery

Common problem with these regulators. I've replaced them on all of my Onans for over charging... some twice.  Maybe that's why they are on Amazon for 20 USD.

Spelling is fine ti-jean... half the time we speak gibberish here  anyway! :)

• Like 2