Sarge

Barn find 854

JPWH

That looks to be in real good shape. Nice score. 

oliver2-44

Excellent find

Sarge

What really surprised me was the condition of those Goodrich tires on the rear - very solid shape but of course hard as a rock like they always are - someone really took good care of it . The left front spindle has the craziest end cap on the wheel - I need to check it out closer and see what the heck it really is - about 3.5" long and tapered...

Trans feels good , gear detents are nice and crisp so I doubt it's been seriously abused as most . Won't know about the 2-3 cluster until I get it running and under a load - never know about those but at least there are parts out there from Lowell now , such a great resource . I see it does need one axle seal - the hub is against the housing as so many are since the original owners didn't know the importance of checking the set screws occasionally . A little work - I'm sure it will run just fine .

Sarge

Pollack Pete

Nice 854.I have one rotting behind my barn.Mine has wrong engine,but complete.Any pics of the old lathe and horizontal mill? I've rebuilt and restored many pieces of old metal working machinery.Gerwin horizontal mills.Sheldon lathes.Small Sheldon mills.Rhodes metal shapers.Southbend lathes.Seneca lathe.Fun machines to work on.Unfortunetly,most are worth more as scrap than working machinery.

prondzy

awesome find!

Ed Kennell

Great save....

12 hp Kohler

Great find, has a really nice patina. I really like that Toyota fj in the back ground of the second picture as well.  

Digger 66
5 hours ago, Sarge said:

5a22b218c47b2_20171201_1514201.jpg.fbdb1aa14c6e566cdd64cdc390537a69.jpg

5a22b23f4def8_20171201_1514011.jpg.64ecad09cceec368d498fa1ecbddf707.jpg

Love the marker lights on the trailer ! 

elcamino/wheelhorse

That is a nice score. From  the pictures it looks it good shape.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Sarge, nice find. I have one, it's a little jewel.

Glenn

Sarge

Took a minute yesterday and gave it another look-see , the right front wheel has an odd cap -

5a23fb525ff7e_20171202_0919411.jpg.9490027297895f89fc63bd0e55caec12.jpg

Turns out to be an aftermarket lug nut cover for a semi - complete with a reflector , no less . Doesn't fit the hub all that well , but guess it does the job as the bearings/grease are clean .

Went back to the big shed and spent the Saturday doing this , again -

5a23fb9624ab8_20171202_1238591.jpg.da63c3ca681a4a6a2aea316b812ecf23.jpg

So far , no leaks on the pump . More to follow in the Big Ugly thread...

The old FJ40 is going soon , it's just sitting most of the time and rotting in the weather - I can't stand to watch that and will let it go to someone that will restore it as it's a '77 and in excellent running condition with the original engine . That's the only other thing that will put a smile on my face to drive other than the Horses - but it beats me to death and my joints can't take the punishment anymore .

5a23fda59b347_20170212_1011301.jpg.19c836a71f9c240f95c51d8bd48b6a80.jpg

The marker lights on the trailer work really well and I like their small profile - they light up a lot better than you'd expect and many of the haulers around here are going that route with their semi's . I'll have to get a night pic sometime...

Sarge

• Like 2

RandyLittrell

Nice find! 

I feel for you Sarge, I have arthritis bad myself. Not as bad as you though, if you have to get rid of your FJ!

Hope it goes to a good home, I would love to have an FJ 45 or an old landcruiser. 

Randy

chip61

Great vehicle, that will make a nice toy for someone. 

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

You couldnt beat those old landcruisers, my buddy had one back in 1972 or 3. Boy that thing was sweet. I remember the two little fold down seats in back. If I was closer I would be right over. Lol

Glenn

Sarge

The truck is only half the equation - you should see the room stuffed with parts . Especially noteworthy are the correct rear van doors in excellent , rust free condition , a spare set of great front doors and a slew of other parts for it - many of which are NLA and some of it is really rare straight from Japan .

To this date , the Land Cruiser is still one of the toughest vehicles ever built - they didn't wear out , they just wore out their owners and that's not a joke . There is nothing on it that cannot be rebuilt and it is all detailed in the service manuals . I mean , even stuff like the vacuum brake booster , fan clutch , steering box (highly detailed in the book) and water pump just as an example . They built them to be field serviced and survive in 3rd world countries for a lifetime - it's nothing to drag out the oldest examples and put a day's work in changing fluids - then fire it up and drive it . 9.5" ring gear size in the diffs and 31 spline axles - stock . The axles are heavier than the Dana 44's easily and weigh more as well . Built more like a commercial truck (complete with a double c-channel frame) than anything - and actually tougher for it's size .

My dream was always a 45/47 long wheel base Troop Carrier , or Troopy . Collectors have driven prices to insane levels - it's nothing to see them auction off at over $100,000 for great restored examples . We have a guy in France now that can build full tubs out of aluminum , brass or even stainless steel - his work is amazing and he ships world wide . Mine was around $6500 in 1977 new - first year for front disk brakes and the rear axle uses dual wheel cylinders on each side like a commercial truck . Seating was designed for 4-6 passengers and weighs around 4,200lbs - engine is 850lbs alone being an industrial straight six - one look inside of it and you'd think it was a diesel . Despite it's age and pulling those 33x10.5x15 mud terrain tires it can still run 80mph - although it's not exactly happy at that speed and will induce a lot of white-knuckle feeling to the driver , I used to drive it to work a lot on the Interstate and 70mph sure woke you up fast early in the morning . Aside from the manual steering it drives exceptionally well for what it is and built like a tank - anyone opening a car door into it is going to need a new door and really irritate their body guy....while barely even scratching the paint on The AntiChrist , as I call it ...

Spent a short time last night looking over the 854 some more and even rode it off the trailer down the ramp . Steering is amazingly tight , as well as the spindles and associated parts - almost like it has very little hours on it or someone really loved and cared for it . Trying to get some history on the thing as I'm curious as to why so much of it's parts are like new . Hood bolts/nuts are gone as well as the shift knob and it will need a new key switch - which I have here . Engine has great compression and the belts even look good . Someone put a strip of leather inside the brake band and the throttle cable stand off bracket is gone with some plumber's strapping taking it's place . Steering wheel is even in great condition yet and the dash bushing is pretty tight yet . Fuel tank is clean as a whistle inside and the fuel cap is in nice shape - even the gasket is great condition . It was last sitting in a machine shed but prior to that it had to have been stored inside and greased regularly for the condition of it's parts . Shifter boot was missing as usual but I already put a new one on it . Wish the weather was better - I'd like to at least go through a few things and put a fire in it to see the engine's condition but it will have to wait until spring .

Sarge

• Like 5

Retired Wrencher

Sarge Well done :handgestures-thumbupright: Should be a great project. Have fun with it. I see you Have Shepard also. Great dogs. Very protective of there pack people.

Edited by Retierd Wrencher
  • Like 1

Sarge

Yes he is - all German black/red and semi-wavy long coat to boot , odd dog for sure . His intelligence gets him in trouble , especially the "problem solving" skills he has - but was very easy to train versus our last American/German bred black and silver monster . He always patrols the perimeter and will stop anything that enters his territory - the UPS guys have gotten surprised a few times as he will go right into their truck to check them out if they aren't looking and I'm too busy to notice he's not right by me . Unless they show extreme aggression , he will not bite but once that hair stands up and the teeth come out it's all over - he killed one stray that came into town and tried to start a fight when it entered our property . He corralled a loose Pit Bull yesterday for a gal chasing it around town very nicely - never showed a bit of challenge to the shep so it was all good , this dog has gotten loose several times and is very friendly to everyone - much unlike their reputation . I can walk him unleashed in a store and he won't even bother anyone or anything and our local TSC knows him well - he even picks out the same treats he likes every time he's in there . 7yrs old now and 100lbs of flying fur - our whole house is always covered but I wouldn't trade him for the World .

Wish the weather was better , I'm itching to dig into this 854 and find out the true condition of the engine/trans . Not sure if I'll keep it or let it go until then...

Sarge

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

Great dogs as long he knows your the boss or pack leader. Mine is the same do not set foot in the drive way suddenly. I some times I have to use the shock cooler if he get out of hand to redirect him = mind set.

Sarge

He has no challenge towards me , ever . Pretty obedient for the most part except for when family comes - then he's a bit wild with happy greetings and starts knocking the little kids down , realizes his mistake and knocks it off . Our black n silver was a different animal although he did carry the judgement trait and could read a human quite well for a split breed . This German line one is about the best judge of character I've seen - if he doesn't like a human , it's for a really good reason and I won't trust them either . I spent a lot of time early on with him getting him socialized more so he behaves around strangers pretty well but his loyalty drive keeps that in check perfectly - honestly couldn't ask for better . 80% of his commands are by hand signals , I rarely have to speak to him and we have a secret sound I can make for his call - he never fails to come for that when off leash or out of the house .

This is someone entering his territory from 400' away - laser focused

5a27f4eb712c5_2014-08-16-833(1)1.jpg.152923ed7d2a3727765d95eeefe093d6.jpg

That was at 3yrs old , he's fully filled out since and about 25lbs heavier . I'm no fan of that coat , but he his a handsome critter...

Sarge

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Sarge, you will enjoy that 854. There are plenty of restore links on here of course. I will be following your adventure. The 854 is akin to the landcruiser in how its built, like a baby tank.  Btw, your dog, nice. I know what you mean on sniffin out strangers good folks vs bad.  Keep us posted. 

Glenn

Sarge

I had an 854 once before - really didn't have any use for it at the time and didn't like it outside under a tarp as I have limited storage room . That one even had the Hein-Werner hydro lift in perfect shape - I should have kept it around . I may just keep this one for little chores around the place - just not sure yet but it's condition inside the motor will factor that - otherwise it will go to someone else . Since I have two C-160's and the big D as well as the old trusty 1277 I'm at the max on storage - and all those models can drag the 854 any direction they want . If nothing else , it would be a good teacher for the grandkids...

Sarge