Wheelhorse427

Degreasing and Saving Paint on K181

Wheelhorse427

What do you guys recommend for degreasing a K181, but saving the original paint. Pressure washer?

I have the engine mostly apart right now to clean and put on new gaskets/seals.

I have been using Windex and paper towels, but it takes a really long time that way.

Skipper

diesel.....in a tote....and a brush. :-)

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 3

Wheelhorse427

Ok thank you

Should I wash it off with the hose when I'm done to get rid of the diesel, or will it evaporate like gas?

Jerry77

Rags and prep-sol...not sure what they call it now, but I used it on metal to clean off grease etc.before sanding..also the last thing before painting a car- wipe it down one more time..will not harm paint - only removes everything else..get it at an automotive paint shop..:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Have had real good luck using Castrol Super Clean in the purple bottle and it is cheap.

If repainting or painting bare or rusted metal use it full strength.

If you want just to degrease I would mix 50/50 with water. Spray, soak and use a brush then rinse with water. After I think it is clean I do it once more and rinse with hot water. If you can force dry with heat all the better. Then the paint has no reason to not stick.

They advertise that if the product won't remove something it is not going to come off and I think they are correct.

Can be hard on the skin so wear rubber gloves and don't get a splash on bare skin.

Garry

• Like 2

AMC RULES

5a21e6dc26dca_wheelhorsinaround333608007.jpg.adf36cc57b5ffa179a851b0c834202f3.jpg

• Like 2

Skipper

If you do not want to paint it, Diesel is fine, just dry it off with rags. It will be fully dry in a day or two, or you can force it with compressed air. If you want it more dry and faster, water works to wash off diesel film, but dry it good afterwards to avoid rust. You can spray down with ethanol instead. Then its dry in minutes.

Edited by Skipper

Wheelhorse427

:text-thankyouyellow: 

I'll see what I can get at the hardware store or online maybe try the diesel

Skipper

The Diesel will work for degrease and is cheap, and if you do not want to prep the paint for respray, there is no reason to spend money on any prep solvents IMO. Lets know how it turns out ;-) 

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 2

C-101plowerpower

petroleum/kerosene will work too, i find diesel a tad on the oily side compared to kerosene/petroleum/tvo

• Like 1

hondagod64

I do the same as Garry mentioned with super kleen reduced with water....works good and cheap,

BOB ELLISON

I use mineral spirits in a spray bottle  and a paint brush. Spray on more to rinse off oil and grease. Then wipe with cotton rags .then wash with dawn dish soap and warm water. Looks great after I wipe again with cotton rags.

pfrederi

Using diesel may not be the best idea.  Way back in the old Army (before Camo paint) some guys liked the OD paint to almost shine.  Wiped several of the vehicles in motor pool down with diesel the day before inspection.  looked sharp!!...but it was a gravel motor pool wind and traffic stirred up some dust that stuck to the diesel..looked awful the next day for the inspection.

• Haha 1

Skipper

Yes well diesel is a light oil, hense the good ability to deslove oil based products, and you do need to dry or rinse it off, or wait till it evaporates. Otherwise it will collect dust. that is of cause true.

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

Just take it to the car wash (do it yourself) and a few quarters.  Use the soap button...you must dry good and wipe oil on the inside of the block when done, but it does a great job fast.  :)  Plus...nothing to clean up and get rid of.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 3

Skipper

What? do you really think this is the case :deadhorse:

:D

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Hi @Skipper...LOL   It worked for me with both my K-181s.  How are you doing??  :occasion-xmas:

Wheelhorse427

I like that idea stevasaurus

That might be the easiest thing to do and it will get all the tight spaces that I can't get my fingers into

• Like 1

stevasaurus

It really does an outstanding job...just blow dry and wipe the inside and unpainted part with oil (30wt).  Make sure you take some googles or good safety glasses...you will get a little wet as the water splashes back.  :)  But the block will be clean.

It is just hard to wipe the ruff part of cast iron with a rag and any of the above stuff.  Trust me...much easier and a nicer job.

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Make sure you take some googles or

?

googles...

is he gonna need to internet search stuff while cleanin'?:teasing-poke:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hp Kohler
37 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

?

googles...

is he gonna need to internet search stuff while cleanin'?:teasing-poke:

:ROTF:

ericj

I some times use the old stale gas I drain out of tractors that I purchase and don't know how to get rid of, it's a bit smelly, and you don't want to get it on you or you will smell like stale gas for ever it seems, another thing to use is brake clean, auto parts stores have it on special a lot of times.

eric j

Retired Wrencher