Sarge

Twin opposed K series question ??

Sarge

I was cleaning some oil residue from an earlier dumb move - I try to keep things clean so any leaks that spring up show easily . I noticed along the top of the block towards the center from the right cylinder's valve cover a cast marking , cleaned it off and found this -

5a1876a614d36_20171124_1029301.jpg.3dd294d32b736bcdc35a46c5740c40bd.jpg

5a1876c0340f4_20171124_1030381.jpg.8389f901caacc371c48404dc804d0dbe.jpg

The casting mark clearly shows K532 .

Now , is this a case like the single cylinder blocks that were stamped "301" but you had to check internally whether it was a 10hp or 12hp engine ? K241 & K301 blocks are stamped the same and that is common knowledge .

But , what about the K482/K532/K662 twin opposed cast iron engines , same deal ?? Any insight on the blocks or anyone know for sure ?

Or - did someone swap out the original K482 from this '74 D180 to a K532 20hp from a donor ?? Some of the tins seem to be completely black to the bare metal , while others are clearly red underneath the black - so some painting has been done and this tractor it has at best a sketchy history . At one time it lived at the welding shop next to me to the West , or at least for a short time . The folks I got it from are about 40 miles away in a rural area and the gal that sold it had told me her father had gotten it from the town where I live - from the local welder . His son that now owns/runs the shop doesn't remember it but it may have belonged to his Dad who started the business - but he does say he knows his Dad never bought a new Wheel Horse , he'd only owned a Cub or two that he remembered . Anyway , hard telling on it's history and a lot of mods/repairs have been done in the machine's lifetime .

I'm just curious if this is the original engine/block - the tins are marked as a K482 / spec 35222b as it should be to match the '74 model year in the published model year reference list . The model tag was long gone off the tractor when I got it , the year came from figuring out the sum of it's parts as to the model and such . Maybe that casting mark explains why this engine feels so strong , there is a noticeable difference between the 482 and 532 engines before from when we used them in other industrial equipment such as Ditch Witch , ect . The 20hp version just had a lot more torque and grunt compared to the 18hp . The K662 is insanely powerful and quite underrated - I ran one of those years ago on a compactor with a gear drive transport feature - that engine is a whole different animal compared to the 18 & 20 versions .

Sarge

Sarge

Anyone know anything about these numbers and true engine size ??

Sarge

Desko

If its a D180 they use a 482 bore with a 532 block 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Rick3478
      By Rick3478
      For Sale NOS M12S Short Block, still in the original box.  I bought it pre-emptively when Kohler was phasing out the Magnums.  Thought I would have it on hand if one of mine needed it, or maybe I would find a tractor with a busted rod for cheap.  Neither of those things happened, the darn things just keep running.

Part number 77 522 35, probably built in late '05, it's the combination replacement kit Kohler made to fit WheelHorse or Gravely, machined to bolt directly into the Gravely transaxle, but also has spacers to mount WheelHorse PTO clutch/brake.  Also has a bunch of gaskets and seals packed with it, probably all you need to install it.

And it's heavy, so it's not practical for me to ship.  Buyer arrange to pick up near Elida OH, I can lift it about knee high to help load.

Asking $800 or might consider trade for a good center mount grader blade.

• mcfarmall
      By mcfarmall
      Tractor features Kohler 16hp cast iron engine, gently used 42" deck, concrete wheel weights, tire chains, new Chinesium carburetor, fuel lines and filter, new air filter, 2 new fwd/rev cams.  A starter,  some new gaskets, and miscellaneous parts.  New drive belt and all the belt idler assemblies.  Engine runs but smokes.  Great restoration candidate or a spare engine for you pullers out there.  Call, text or email for a private showing.   No offers considered unless made in person.  Buyer responsible for transportation.  Many more pictures to send to interested persons. 

• Jeff-C175
    • BMW1
      By BMW1
      I would like to replace the spark plug wires on a k482 engine.

I believe the original wires are 7mm solid copper core.

Can 8mm spiral core wire be used instead or should I use a solid copper core wire?

The reason I ask is because the crimper I ordered a while back only has an 8mm die for spark plugs and a 7mm die is not available for the crimper.

It doesn't seem like 8mm solid copper core wire is available?

Also had trouble finding the boots and connectors for the coil end - anyone have some suggestions?

Thank You.

• Jennifer
      By Jennifer
      Husband wants some advice… lol.  So we did an engine swap today on two suburbans because we could not get the one engine to spark all the time to get it running!  The engine ran last year before parking for the winter sleep…. Points were changed out for new the engine was cleaned to make good contact has new spark plug new coil condenser we even switched out the fly wheel today thinking maybe the magnet was weak…. Advice???   It would where are you out yanking on the recoil five or so times and maybe only get the points to fire twice if you’re lucky..  checked the gap and pull again… same thing over and over!  Thanks in advance!