ClassicTractorProfessor

New Shop

ClassicTractorProfessor

Got the last of the lower half put up tonight...went to the lumber yard after work and bought 7 more sheets...going to call the power company Monday and see what it's gonna cost to have them set a pole outside the corner of the building...it may be cheaper to go that route rather than bury a line all the way from the house...plus then I can have a hook-up there for my RV as well

IMG_20181026_184652.jpg

IMG_20181026_184709.jpg

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor

I'm here to tell you I feel like a kid in a candy store right now...got the south wall and west wall completely finished...had brother come help me after he got off work. Don't think my shoulder could've done it all by myself...first sheet on the top almost killed me. My 5 year old nephew loves them tractors, so he had a good time playing on the C125 while Dad and I worked on the shop. Thinking I need to find a Lawn Ranger that he and I can fix up together for him. Hopefully next weekend I will have a workbench and some shelving on the west wall so I can get all the parts to Ray's tractor up off the floor    

IMG_20181027_131511.jpg

IMG_20181027_145539.jpg

IMG_20181027_151210.jpg

IMG_20181027_182827.jpg

IMG_20181027_194128.jpg

IMG_20181027_194136.jpg

IMG_20181027_194148.jpg

IMG_20181027_194159.jpg

IMG_20181027_194221.jpg

IMG_20181027_194230.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

PeacemakerJack

Looking Great:greetings-clapyellow:  It feels good to get to this stage doesn’t it?  You will really have a cozy space once that ceiling is insulated.  I’m trying to get a permanent source of heat in my shed/shop in the next couple of weeks.  Last winter was the first time for me to have an insulated shop, I loved it!  So great be able to work in a heated space throughout the winter as needed. However, I was using a temporary heat source and I’m planning on an LP furnace for this winter and excited about it.

A Ranger would be a super fun build for you and your nephew.  He would really enjoy it as would you and I doubt that he would ever forget the experience.  You have an enclosed space to do that in now!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stevebo

Looking good. You will need some shelves soone or later. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
1 hour ago, PeacemakerJack said:

A Ranger would be a super fun build for you and your nephew.  He would really enjoy it as would you and I doubt that he would ever forget the experience.  You have an enclosed space to do that in now!

I think he would really enjoy having one of his own...yesterday was the first time he has seen the 701 since I started putting it back together...he fell in love with it and was very disappointed that he couldn't get on the "new" tractor

• Like 2

RandyLittrell

The shed is looking good Bryce!! I see an Enron sign in there, you work there?  My Dad worked for Panhandle Eastern for 35 years. 

Randy

• Thanks 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
6 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

The shed is looking good Bryce!! I see an Enron sign in there, you work there?  My Dad worked for Panhandle Eastern for 35 years. 

Randy

No that sign is one I picked up from the city dump, but my Grandpa worked for Northern Natural and Enron for the biggest part of his career, before finally retiring from DCP Midstream

• Like 1

ztnoo

Interesting

On 10/28/2018 at 2:01 PM, PeacemakerJack said:

You will really have a cozy space once that ceiling is insulated.

Having been in residential and light commercial construction the bulk of my adult life, that is certainty the thought that entered my mind.

I think the operative phrase here is "once that ceiling is insulated".

You have done a very tidy and workmanlike job to create a nice comfortable workspace.

Looks like you have done an excellent job of sidewall insulation and sidewall coverage with a durable finish surface, except in the event of fire. That's a separate concern/issue from what I see.

Being from the Midwest where it gets really, really cold and can stay that way for a very long time, freeze the earth a couple of feet deep, and dump feet of snow on whatever property you inhabit, I have to wonder what happens to any internal heat created in this work space, with a totally uninsulated ceiling?

They say heat rises, so what happens when heat meets a very cold surface in high humidity conditions?

Short answer: it condenses, forming moisture to point of dripping water sometimes, and even freezing as frost/ice on the underside of the roof sheeting.

Not a good long term option for staying comfortable in hostile winter conditions, or for long term structural life and integrity of the building, let alone the contents housed therein.

What are your plans, if any, for the ceiling?

Edited by ztnoo
  • Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

@ztnoo the ceiling will eventually be insulated and covered with the OSB same as the walls...probably should have started with the ceiling but can only do it one piece at a time as the budget allows...my main focus was to finish walls first so I can get a bench and shelving built to have a usable workspace. 

• Like 1

ztnoo

@Professor1990,

Well, that is a reasonable answer and understandable in many ways.

But overhead work is difficult enough, in and of itself, with open and uncluttered floor space.

The more you restrict that workspace, the more time and energy will be required to achieve the desired end result.

I do wish wish you well in your project however.

It always great to a space to call your own to work on things that interest you in your leisure time.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

Pullstart

Hey Bryce,

I bet now is the time (before shelving and while the walls are clean) to get some white paint up if you have the means to knock that project out.  A bright shop feels so much bigger!  Looks good in there :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4

RandyLittrell

When I bought my current shop it was painted white, but flat white ceiling paint that I assume they bought cheap somewhere. Just painting it gloss white made a huge difference in my ability to see in the shop. I am going to go ahead and paint the ceiling gloss white this next spring. 

Randy

• Like 2

LengerichKA88

That’s what I did yesterday was set up a small work area in our new shop lol 

54819CC4-6090-472F-8D74-A62FEE1EF529.jpeg

• Excellent 3

ClassicTractorProfessor

Depending on what the weather does this weekend some white paint may very well be in the near future

• Like 2

ebinmaine

I don't know what the finish grade is but we bought some interior primer for about $12/ gallon.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ztnoo
8 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

Just painting it gloss white made a huge difference

Gloss paint, particularly in light colors, increases the reflective capability of the paint.

Flat paints tend to absorb light.

• Like 3

oliver2-44

For my shop OSB walls I was lucky enough to get 5 gallons of some light colored mis- mixed paint for the first coat (cheap) Then  added 2 gallons of white to what was left to make a slightly off white gloss for the walls.

PS when I build deer stands all the leftover paint come out to mix and make Camo. It’s a good thing they say deer are color blind!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

jeepdave

Very nice setup. A colleague of mine just purchased something similar a few months ago and absolutely loves it.

• Thanks 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
20 minutes ago, jeepdave said:

Very nice setup. A colleague of mine just purchased something similar a few months ago and absolutely loves it.

Thanks...it has been some of the best money I've spent in a long time...I could've built one a lot cheaper, but the lumber yard wouldn't let me pay it out over 4 years lol

ClassicTractorProfessor

I just love when a plan comes together...still have to put the top on and cover the shelf. Bought a generator last night too for more power than just enough to run my lights, got one big enough to run my whole RV in the event of a power outage too, so it was a win win 

IMG_20181109_201538.jpg

IMG_20181110_131537.jpg

IMG_20181110_133731.jpg

IMG_20181110_135733.jpg

IMG_20181110_135815.jpg

IMG_20181110_135924.jpg

• Like 5

PeacemakerJack

:text-coolphotos:looking good! How big are those shelves and how much space from shelf to floor and shelf to shelf?  Looks like you built a nice sturdy setup there! 

:lol:Style points for that hat too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
21 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

:lol:Style points for that hat too

That's my Elmer Fudd hat :laughing-rofl: keeps my ears good and warm

The bench is 92" long by 31"wide and 41" tall. The shelf below it is 20" off the floor. Just stood back and realized I screwed up though...had planned on one solid piece of OSB for the shelf...but I put the top on and now can't get one piece in there...oh well I can piece it together. It's like I told my ex wife's grandpa while he was helping me this morning...we're building a workbench not a piano 

IMG_20181110_162700.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

ClassicTractorProfessor

Finished product...and it's amazing I have gained some floor space...that's Ray's C141 underneath the bench, and that's the 8 speed out of that tractor on top...which is one of the main reasons I wanted to get this project done... transmission is locked up need to tear into it and see if it's salvageable

IMG_20181110_180448.jpg

IMG_20181110_183951.jpg

IMG_20181110_183958.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

953 nut
11 minutes ago, Professor1990 said:

I have gained some floor space...

:woohoo:                   Now you can go out and get more stuff to fill the void!              :ychain:

• Haha 4

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat:Where there is a vacancy, there usually ends up being something to fill it!  That bench looks functional and ready to work—can’t wait to see it in action...:coffee:

• Like 2