ClassicTractorProfessor

New Shop

AMC RULES

Going to make for one very nice 5a149c070ab79_hdr-logo-100b(1).png.5eb146d4526f56ae28d8bee75ff7de7f.png stable.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 5

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:      You may as well begin by building shelves to store future projects on, double-decker :wh:.       :ychain:

• Like 5

ebinmaine

Lookin' good. I've been mulling over what to do here. I may be doing exactly the same... or putting a foundation under the existing workshop to create 2 levels... Alot of work to do so but might be worth it....

I'll be following with interest to see how yours goes.

• Like 3

Sparky

Very jealous! Looks like a great place to do some tinkering.

• Like 4

ClassicTractorProfessor

got one coat of paint on the floor today...going to put another on Thursday...didnt get a picture of the whole thing painted...too windy to open the overhead door. Will get more pics when I can

20171121_141729.jpg

20171121_140629.jpg

20171121_140614.jpg

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

I can't see an seams....is the floor plywood?    What paint are you using?

ztnoo
27 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

What paint are you using?

Yeah......I want to know too........along with what is the flooring material, and its thickness.

???

At least 3/4", I would hope......

hondagod64

Very nice..Perfect set up for working on projects

ClassicTractorProfessor
11 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I can't see an seams....is the floor plywood?    What paint are you using?

10 hours ago, ztnoo said:

Yeah......I want to know too........along with what is the flooring material, and its thickness.

???

At least 3/4", I would hope......

the floor actually had two layers...there is one layer of OSB directly on top of the floor joists, then a layer of material similar to MDF for the top layer. Floor joists are 2x6 on 12" centers so definitely heavy duty enough.

As far as paint goes...its just a cheap flat white latex our local lumber yard sells. Not the most durable thing in the world, but for the cost  ($30 for 5 gallons) I can make it work

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor

Got a second coat of paint on the floor this morning...and got a new phone that takes better quality pictures...so got a couple better ones of the whole shop. Think I'm gonna put one more coat on the floor this afternoon and call it good

IMG_20171123_124446.jpg

IMG_20171123_115753.jpg

IMG_20171123_111154.jpg

IMG_20171123_111129.jpg

IMG_20171123_123909.jpg

IMG_20171123_124412.jpg

IMG_20171123_111143.jpg

IMG_20171123_124423.jpg

• Like 3

ztnoo

Those trusses are set unlike any I've ever seen or building I have be involved constructing. The flat bottom chord (ceiling joist) would normally be set on the top of the double plate, but in this case there is no double plate, only a single top plate.

I've never seen anything constructed where the truss tail was sitting on and attached to the wall plate.  umm.gif.a2767583ec6499e52e1d288a39a18a9c.gif

It gives a little more head room, but that's a detail I wouldn't care to replicate.

Also, I note every other truss has no direct bearing stud under it. If the wall had a double plate, that wouldn't be an issue.

I guess those hurricane ties are the main mechanical attachment. Wonder if they are attached on alternate trusses on the outside of the frame like they are on the inside of the wall frame?

That's very odd to me, and I was around residential and light commercial construction for about 45 years.........

I'm not intentionally meaning to be critical, just noticing some details which I would not copy if I were building the structure.

If it suits your needs and gives you good service life, I guess that's the most important thing for you.

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Well, it's not like it's going to be carrying any significant snow load in Oklahoma. 

That's for sure.  :confusion-shrug:

953 nut
1 hour ago, ztnoo said:

residential and light commercial construction

That is a factory built shed and they support political campaigns so they don't have to follow building codes.        :ychain:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

ClassicTractorProfessor

A better picture of how they are fastened...I thought it was weird too...but have never saw a building like this that was built with a double top plate...a friend of mine who built houses for over 50 years looked it over and he thought it was weird but didn't see any problems with the way it was built

IMG_20171123_144451.jpg

ztnoo
33 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Well, it's not like it's going to be carrying any significant snow load in Oklahoma.

Likely not.

Just tornados, which they have bunches of in "Tornado Alley".

5 minutes ago, Professor1990 said:

A better picture of how they are fastened...I thought it was weird too...but have never saw a building like this that was built with a double top plate...a friend of mine who built houses for over 50 years looked it over and he thought it was weird but didn't see any problems with the way it was built

Well at least you are aware of the odd details then.

I wonder it those long screws are the only mechanical fastener on the truss tails with no stud bearing under them?

Can you reach over the top plate and feel a hurricane tie going to the frame exterior???

Edited by ztnoo

ClassicTractorProfessor

Just finished up the third and final coat of paint...checked while I was out there the only method of fastening every other truss is with the single big screw. And snow shouldn't be a problem here, although we have been known to have a freak storm dump 48" on us at once. We do have tornadoes here, but straight line winds would be my biggest concern...it's nothing to have sustained winds of 50-60 mph here...had one of those days last weekend and it held together just fine. Now my RV was another story, woke up at 4 am thinking I was gonna blow over the wind was so strong 

Ed Kennell

Looks good Bryce.  I really like that roll up door.  It won't block the lighting like my big 10X18 foot overhead.   Is that a manual or electric operator?

I'm sure it will serve you well.   While we are discussing the framing,  I don't see the need for the double wall studs at the siding joints and I would probably have put the roof trusses on 16" centers to align with the wall studs and put in a plywood hurricane tie connecting each wall stud to each roof joist.  This also eliminates any question on the need for a double top plate on the walls.  

And that's my two scents or cents, or sense....   :huhs:

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor

Thanks Ed...the door is just your standard manual roll up door. If I had built the building myself I would have done just like you suggested...I've looked at several of these buildings before purchasing this one, and every one of them had the double studs at the joints not sure what their reasoning behind it is

Digger 66

Is it gonna be safe in Tornado Alley :unsure:

ztnoo
25 minutes ago, Digger 66 said:

Is it gonna be safe in Tornado Alley 

A reasonable question. Seriously..........

I'm not sure anything above ground level is a safe bet in Tornado Alley, accept a concrete encased bank vault.

Those frequent, constant, straight line winds do concern me, however.

I'm wonder what the orientation to the prevailing winds is.......particularly tornado season orientation.  ????

My first instinct would be to put the back end (12' wide) in line with that prevailing direction.

Just one man's opinion........

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Our main winds come out of the south to southwest in summer and north to northwest in the winter. The building is running lengthwise north to south with the door facing the north, and a grove of locusts trees immediately to the west to break some of the wind. The house we used to live in had a building of similar size and construction running east to west with no windbreak anywhere near, and it fared just fine, aside from losing a few shingles once. So I don't foresee a problem there. And as far as tornadoes, any structure whether portable or built on a foundation is going to incur serious damage during a tornado

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Started on some of the electrical today. Got panel in place and all boxes on the walls set...Started running wire but messed up my drill bit...nails hidden inside the studs are kinda hard on bits lol...oh well tomorrow is another day

IMG_20171124_170212.jpg

IMG_20171124_170154.jpg

IMG_20171124_170201.jpg

IMG_20171124_170143.jpg

• Like 3

Digger 66
10 hours ago, Professor1990 said:

IMG_20171124_170212.jpg

IMG_20171124_170154.jpg

IMG_20171124_170143.jpg

You can never have enough outlets ^^^^

Very wise decision to install plenty of them .

When I was helping my dad build his 24 X 24 garage as a teenager , I wondered why he had +/- 25 outlets installed .

I soon found out ......

I don't see one high enough to plug a :wh: clock into though ????

Edited by Digger 66
  • Like 2

ebinmaine

I love the fact that you put up the sign before most other work. Priorities !!!!