Spokane Dave

1961 Wheel Horse Suburban Followed me home to get freshened up

formariz
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

It seems like there's enough room for a battery in front of the steering shaft if you're leaving that extension on the front. Maybe a starter generator squeezed in there somewhere and a belt to a second groove on the engine pulley for charging? :twocents-02cents:

I just like to "think out loud" most of the time. :hide:

A thinking man! I guess we could have figured that out by some of the products of that thinking.

Battery will also fit in tool box.

Spokane Dave
2 hours ago, wallfish said:

That rear winch idea from the PO is a good one. Attaching an arm into the winch.

I like that much better than using a wire cable plus it can give down pressure if the winch has the power out option instead of just free spooling. It gets the wheels turning for different ideas on how to use something like that. For instance, quite a few people have used a winch with the cable for raising a snow plow but doing it that way seems more versatile with down pressure. Snow blower lift? Figuring out a way to link it up to the rock shaft for electric lift for all attachments is another good application for that. Ect. Ect. Ect.

5a16d7102dd0b_wincharm.JPG.56157afe5be66e0e83611d80c5b5de51.JPG

It seems like there's enough room for a battery in front of the steering shaft if you're leaving that extension on the front. Maybe a starter generator squeezed in there somewhere and a belt to a second groove on the engine pulley for charging? :twocents-02cents:

I just like to "think out loud" most of the time. :hide:

Thinking out loud is a good thing, and multiple minds are better then one sometime !!

Yea i was highly impressed with the lift system as well ( awesome ingenuity ) - I have done a few Linear actuator lift / angle controls, and have used a winch / cable / pulley, but never crossed my mind to remove spool and use flat bar . . . YES = Excellent idea for controlled down pressure and guaranteed no cable mess when slacked.

While I did ponder just that = Alt /gen off pulley and install battery - I have decided to keep this old wheel horse simple with a manual lift, and I am going to save & use the winch lift on my 1966 Case 120 if I ever get time to work on it (it is going to be for me) not sold like most of my restores are to facilitate the continued addiction. . . . The Case was given to me by a good friend, and will be kept, as it just so happens that's my last name = UNFORTUNATELY I am not related to the corporation tho :angry-banghead:

IMG_0834.JPG

Edited by Spokane Dave
  • Like 2

Spokane Dave

Well Life got a little crazy, and we spent our Turkey day in the hospital with my "selfless" mother in law who has been diagnosed with a stomach full of cancer. Amazing woman= not one complaint ever from her and she spends her life worrying about others - I'm very fortunate = How many guys can say they have an awesome mother in law !!! We are doing our turkey day today now that she is back home.

I did get a spare hour yesterday to get her all pressure washed. . . . .  Now time for paint prep / hood repairs / etc. etc. = need to locate some decals

Hood is stripped down to bare metal and ready to be tig'ed . . .

Anyone know what the dimensions of the STOCK fuel tank was that mounted under the hood with the metal straps ? :text-feedback:

Steering gears were bone dry, but in good shape (forgot pic of other gear but looks great)

Drained the rear end :scared-eek: / Plenty of gear lube, but Not sure that's been done to many times as  it was some Gackey stuff - Going to flush the entire rear end with gas or diesel  Then leave to dry while painting / before refilling

I was able to save one of the old decals, so it will find a permanent home / wall space somewhere in the garage :wh:

IMG_3569.JPG

IMG_3570.JPG

IMG_3591.JPG

IMG_3623.JPG

IMG_3625.JPG

IMG_3626.JPG

IMG_3628.JPG

IMG_3631.JPG

Edited by Spokane Dave
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 1

wallfish
3 hours ago, Spokane Dave said:

need to locate some decals

Our very own @Vinylguy operates redoyourhorse.com and he will have the decals you need

3 hours ago, Spokane Dave said:

Anyone know what the dimensions of the STOCK fuel tank was that mounted under the hood with the metal straps ?

It was a Kohler oval tank but not the smaller K91/K161 tanks. Think it's 3/4 gallon but could be a gallon or somewhere in between.

Spokane Dave
14 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Our very own @Vinylguy operates redoyourhorse.com and he will have the decals you need

It was a Kohler oval tank but not the smaller K91/K161 tanks. Think it's 3/4 gallon but could be a gallon or somewhere in between.

Thanks for the decal link:handgestures-thumbupright:

as as for the tank - remember I'm not a ejumacated wheelhorse guy so I was hopping for actual dimensions :scratchead:

i might be be able to modify the tank off this aftermarket motor but it would require me to make the whole little bigger in the hood and I'd rather not do that

Edited by Spokane Dave

Spokane Dave

Hood holes and cracks are tig'ed + Pile-O-Parts are almost all stripped and ready for primer. . . .

wheelhorseman  steered me to the shift boot I needed / ordered = Thanks

Still waiting for a reply from the decal guy. . . . Contacted via website and PM here

Test sprayed the paint I bought at the o'le tractor supply store, and it looks pretty good 

They had only 3 reds to choose from, so I went with Van Sickle Oil Base Gloss Tractor, Equipment and Industrial Enamel Paint with rust arrestor in "Gloss Case IH Red 455 70"

IMG_3671.JPG

IMG_3672.JPG

IMG_3674.JPG

• Like 4

Spokane Dave

Well was colder then all get out yesterday, but was the only day I had to spare, so I fired up the wood stove in the garage - Built me a Hillbilly paint booth with Exhaust fan (old leaf blower with hose out exhaust port in garage door) and spent the day burning brain cells even tho I was fully suited / head sock / Respirator. Amazing that stuff can get through the best of respirators. . . . Suspended a 2x6 through to hang items and threw some old dry rags along the top of 2x6 to keep the humidity down.

If your not aware of the "ease" of use / construction with rolled thin painters plastic and a can of 3M spray adhesive = simply spray one side of plastic and it sticks / seals instantly to anything and itself - Old Painters masking tricks IT WORKS AWESOME - residual glue "generally always" lifts off floors / walls when plastic removed.

Looked Like a crime scene room towards the end of the evening :-o Dam the garage is a Mess :confusion-scratchheadblue:

Fully Dismantled - Most everything is done except the hood / snow blade, Seat and front rims

IMG_3678.JPG

IMG_3684.JPG

IMG_3675.JPG

IMG_3689.JPG

Edited by Spokane Dave
  • Like 7

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:     Glad to see you have proper respiratory protection, but what is up with the pantyhose? A painters sock works better.   

Image result for painters sock

• Like 1

WHX??

You need to wear that getup for a :occasion-happyhalloween: Dave!

Nifty way to hang tires for paint......it was in the cards these rims get painted. They say you get a better finnish if you use all RED ones!:lol:

20170222_170602.jpg

BTW your name looks good in RED too...thanks for becoming a supporter. :handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

ACman

:text-yeahthat:..... :handgestures-thumbupright: !

Spokane Dave
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:     Glad to see you have proper respiratory protection, but what is up with the pantyhose? A painters sock works better.   

Image result for painters sock

:confusion-confused: That's exactly what I am wearing :teasing-tease:It's got red paint drift on it. . .

1 hour ago, WHX12 said:

You need to wear that getup for a :occasion-happyhalloween: Dave!

Nifty way to hang tires for paint......it was in the cards these rims get painted. They say you get a better finnish if you use all RED ones!:lol:

20170222_170602.jpg

BTW your name looks good in RED too...thanks for becoming a supporter. :handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright:

I could probably get arested in that get up on Halloween :hilarious:

I have done it that way (Cards) as well but was using cheap paint and got some leakage  :angry-screaming:

Yea I guess now I am going to have to start hunting for another Wheel horse . . . . :beer:

Edited by Spokane Dave
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Sarge
On 12/3/2017 at 6:53 PM, Spokane Dave said:

:confusion-confused: That's exactly what I am wearing :teasing-tease:It's got red paint drift on it. . .

I could probably get arested in that get up on Halloween :hilarious:

I have done it that way (Cards) as well but was using cheap paint and got some leakage  :angry-screaming:

Yea I guess now I am going to have to start hunting for another Wheel horse . . . . :beer:

Uh , yeah....

Imagine 14 Laborer's on a Saturday finishing up the HAZMAT 80hr training classes for our certifications wandering around a small town (full of Chicago tourists) , with some pushing shopping carts with concrete blocks ....

Looks something like this , but in broad daylight -

atmore-hazmat-023.jpg

27 calls between the Sheriff's Dept , State Police and the local City Police - we were forced to stay in our back parking lot for the rest of the day . The whole thing started with the instructor really wanting to push us into doing tank swaps , wash outs and such...he got a laugh out of it and I'm sure it's not the first time he'd done that .

Glad you're keeping vigilant with the protection - those chemicals aren't exactly human friendly .

Sarge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spokane Dave

That's Hilarious . . .

I did try and be the good guy one Halloween and direct traffic after a bad car accident. . . . all to no avail :confusion-confused:

Couldn't figure out why people eye's were so big when they looked at me, and were avoiding me and my directions . . . .

Then I remembered the wife talked me into / turned me into a crazy clown, and I (again risking being spotted on the street LOL) Looked like this . . . It's easy to forget what your wearing when it is painted on :ROTF:and no wonder i was freaking people out. . . . Was Hilarious going into stores that evening freaking people out as well

IMG950438.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Sarge

The County deputies spent half an hour trying to figure out a citation of some sort - but we weren't really hurting anything or anyone and trying to learn real-world situations and deal with those suits and the tank systems . The local folks were used to us - we had these classes at least once a year , sometimes bi-annually and had a yearly refresher as well . Not sure if the suits , the shopping carts full of old oil jugs or the guy moving an empty barrel did the trick on the Public - but I did notice some people running away at least once . You can't see squat out of those suits and your breathing likes to fog them up - not to mention your expelled air supply goes into the suit and inflates it - you have to squat down to force the valve to open and vent the pressure . We call it suit farting , just for reference ...

Being Laborers , we get put into some pretty nasty situations at plants and such because we don't regularly work there - plant employees aren't subjected to these hazards because we come in and do the really nasty work . I've been in places you wouldn't believe , got more radiation than a Martian and worked around chemicals that will eat your boots off - in some ways we're "expendable" and many sites treat us as such . We're an educated work force for that reason - it's to survive although most of us never live to retirement or die shortly thereafter . Think about this - when was the last time someone drove 80mph through your work place ??

This whole thing with clowns is pretty warped - and the idiots pulling stunts are sure putting themselves at a lot of risk at being shot in this country these days . The result is going to be clown suits will be off limits , even at Halloween and that's a shame .

Sarge

• Like 1

Spokane Dave

Yea my clown get up was years before the clown pranks started and it was still fairly acceptable to be a crazy clown

When I said "freaking people out" it required nothing more then my presence - I was NOT running around jumping out at people, as it would be natural reaction to jack some Jack a$$ dressed like that & doing that too strangers . . . . . REAL BAD IDEA :handgestures-thumbupright:

:occasion-clown::occasion-clown::occasion-clown::occasion-clown::occasion-clown::occasion-clown::occasion-clown::occasion-clown::occasion-clown::occasion-clown::occasion-clown:

By the way . . . The reconstruction has begun :happy-bouncyred:

IMG_3726.JPG

Edited by Spokane Dave
  • Like 4

Sarge

I agree - idiots acting like idiots and they wonder why they get a beating....lol .

That is going to look awesome when it's done - nice work .

Sarge

Spokane Dave

Well I found some spare time and got a little more done - ALLLLLLMOST done

Brake pad re-glued with epoxy, and a little touch up in those slightly missed areas

Had to custom build the lifting mechanism for the plow for the last hurdle - did not get pics of the lift system complete prior to paint

All done and figured out I tore down the paint booth prematurely

Put up another smaller paint booth to finish all the plow and last minute "ooops" I forgot that parts

Plow and lift mechanism is painted along with misc parts, and going to dry in the paint booth for a day or two as it is bittier cold her - then I can get it all bolted together for the final / Completed pictures :greetings-clappingyellow:

Local tire selection was unfortunate minimal, and I did not want to wait for shipping, so I went with the old wheel barrow tire look. . . :text-bump:

Decided to go with a simple fixed rear hitch . . . .:confusion-confused:

Also had an old shifter boot that worked great for filling the hole around the steering column . . . .

A HUGE THANK YOU TO TERRY AKA VINYLGUY - the decals look awesome (Crap I think the left one's ever so slightly low to the rear), and I cannot resist = :text-thankyouyellow: = the membership was above and beyond Terry = My Hat is off to you my NEW friend :bow-blue::beer:

:angry-cussingblack: You have now given me a new addiction - :angry-steamingears: "I've got a horse - A Wheel Hose OF COURSE" The thrill of the chase will be great, as the old wheel horses are a tough find here on the west coast, but I am up for the challenge :handgestures-thumbup:

She has come  along ways . . . . . . . . .

IMG_3748.JPG

IMG_3749.JPG

IMG_3750.JPG

IMG_3751.JPG

IMG_3761.JPG

IMG_3762.JPG

IMG_3763.JPG

IMG_3773.JPG

IMG_3775.JPG

IMG_3776.JPG

IMG_3777.JPG

IMG_3249.JPG

IMG_3773.JPG

IMG_3775.JPG

IMG_3771.JPG

IMG_3778.JPG

IMG_3779.JPG

Edited by Spokane Dave
  • Like 6

Sarge

That thing turned out great - very nice work . It is quite satisfying once they are done but it is a tremendous amount of work - the details are what counts .

Sarge

WHX??

Very nice work ...gotta like your jack stands! Nice job on customizing that steering boot!  Be careful with that  motor pulley you should be going with a steel one Those have been known to fly apart and strike in bodily areas not meant to be struck in!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ACman

:woohoo: Nice work that Suburban :handgestures-thumbupright: !

Once bitten by the the :wh:Horse bug there’s no turning back your addicted !....I grew up literally in a Allis Chalmers dealership. I bleed orange . Found my first Horse (RJ) and had all intentions of making into a WD replica. After talking with @Dhodge learning some history and finding :rs:it was all over....I was addicted. Now just a little 2yrs later this is what part of my barn looks like now.

C2ACE456-60D7-4EE7-848E-50FA8B9204F0.jpeg.baa9f525f3cc3696eca7e10147a592c0.jpeg

• Excellent 2

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:        Nice work!    You did a nice job of easing the edges of the cuts on the hood.     :handgestures-thumbupright:    With the location of the Predator engine it will be a nut warmer, not a roaster.      :ychain:

• Like 2

ACman
34 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

a nut warmer, not a roaster.      :ychain:

:ROTF:haaaa haaaa haaaa ! ‘‘Tis the season hopefully it won’t be a nut cracker :lol: !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Spokane Dave
12 hours ago, Sarge said:

That thing turned out great - very nice work . It is quite satisfying once they are done but it is a tremendous amount of work - the details are what counts .

Sarge

Thanks - Yea the hard work is worth it when done and admiring it

6 hours ago, WHX12 said:

Very nice work ...gotta like your jack stands! Nice job on customizing that steering boot!  Be careful with that  motor pulley you should be going with a steel one Those have been known to fly apart and strike in bodily areas not meant to be struck in!

Thanks - I actually have an air lift table, but its at a friends, and the old girl was light enough to just hang

Yea I forgot someone mentioned replacing the pulley - Will get that done as it does not sound like a fun experience if it grenades

4 hours ago, ACman said:

:woohoo: Nice work that Suburban :handgestures-thumbupright: !

Once bitten by the the :wh:Horse bug there’s no turning back your addicted !....I grew up literally in a Allis Chalmers dealership. I bleed orange . Found my first Horse (RJ) and had all intentions of making into a WD replica. After talking with @Dhodge learning some history and finding :rs:it was all over....I was addicted. Now just a little 2yrs later this is what part of my barn looks like now.

C2ACE456-60D7-4EE7-848E-50FA8B9204F0.jpeg.baa9f525f3cc3696eca7e10147a592c0.jpeg

Thanks - Holly Crap batman that's  a helluva collection you have there - Not as easy to find on my side of the field LOL

3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:        Nice work!    You did a nice job of easing the edges of the cuts on the hood.     :handgestures-thumbupright:    With the location of the Predator engine it will be a nut warmer, not a roaster.      :ychain:

Thanks - a little extra heat is good this time of year in this neck of the woods

3 hours ago, ACman said:

:ROTF:haaaa haaaa haaaa ! ‘‘Tis the season hopefully it won’t be a nut cracker :lol: !

I hope not as well . . . . .

While I assure you all I am a very agile old Bassturd for my age, we all have our humbling moments in life = Unfortunately I took a hell of a spill off a bucket I was standing on making the temp paint booth yesterday (yea I know Dumarse) and messed up my back shoulder and hit my head pretty darn good. . .  fortunately the head is full of rocks and rock hard so heads fine, but back and shoulder are giving me grief, and gonna force me to stay out of the garage for a day or two - I was able to muddle through and get everything painted (thank god for the couple hydro's I had), so it will give the last few painted parts a couple extra days to dry, but I am chomping at the bit top get it all together = ARRRRRGH

Edited by Spokane Dave
  • Like 1

Dhodge

That's awesome!!  Very nice collection my friend.