Spokane Dave

1961 Wheel Horse Suburban Followed me home to get freshened up

Spokane Dave

Hello. ..  All

New member / Fellow little tractor Nut . . .

Started this thread on "My Tractor" where I have done a few restoration threads for various other make tractors I have picked up, but this old girls post is not getting the attention I think it would here so I am starting a new thread here in the Land of Wheel Horse enthusiasts !!

I am a Old garden tractor enthusiast and was in the middle of redoing an old GT16 " it's in the murray section of my tractor". I was suppose to be in the garage all day putting the GT back together, but am very glad now I checked out the estate sale!!

They wanted $250 for it ( I got it all for $200) with plow blade attached and I got  a thatcher attachment and a newer mower deck I see no way it will work on this, , but a cool looking little tractor !!!
So was $200 High priced or a reasonable deal? - Not feeling to bad about it considering it runs and is ready to plow snow.

There was No model number that could be found and it looks like the motor has been upgraded to a Harbor freight GreyHound 6.5hp  Carb had a plugged jet - runs fine now, but seems to surge while sitting running.

A big THANK YOU to GlennPettit - a Member here who popped into the other thread and enlightened me to year / model potentials, and also dropped a link to the Red Square forum. With his help I believe I have a 1961 Suburban, but not sure of model number / original HP.

While I have heard a lot = I have no experience or knowledge with the old wheel horses other then they look like cool little tractors !! I have begun to do some more research and enlighten myself on the wheel horse's.

The tractor came with a custom rear lift system that is ingenuous in my opinion - removed cable spool from little winch - fitted with flat bar and hooked to hitch - only downside is the motor does not have a charging system for a battery and charging before use seems like a PITA so I will remove the lift winch / save it for another project, and hook the rear hitch to a manual lift rod is my intent.

I will post a few posts here to bring you all up to speed with where I am at, and not one massive post

IMG_3249.JPG

IMG_3251.JPG

IMG_3253.JPG

IMG_3257.JPG

IMG_3258.JPG

IMG_3273.JPG

Hitch01.JPG

Hitch02.JPG

Hitch03.JPG

Hitch07.JPG

IMG_3277.JPG

Edited by Spokane Dave
  • Like 4

Skipper

Welcome to Red Square :text-welcomeconfetti:

Jerry77

:text-welcomeconfetti:  to Red Square....you will find a lot of help here....interesting lift set up on the rear...:)

Spokane Dave

The GT Completed I pulled thew old girl into the garage to get started . . .

Preliminary pondering. . . besides tearing it down / going through it / Fixing all the "bubble gum" welds / cleaning the old girl up / Maybe a stack pipe . . . . . I was thinking about upgrading the plow to a bigger Craftsman Model: 486.244122I 48" snow / dozer blade I have, but have since decided to fix the one on it, and save the big plow for the 1966 Case 120 I am going through to keep for myself.

The Lifting mechanism will need completely redone as will all the "welds" LOL on some of the plow additions.

I was able to cut and straighten the plow bracket and it bolt right back in well off the ground so not sure why the previous owner lowered it as it most likely dug tranches in the ground only being two fingers off the ground

IMG_3470.JPG

IMG_3478.JPG

IMG_3481.JPG

IMG_3482.JPG

IMG_3275.JPG

Edited by Spokane Dave
  • Like 1

Spokane Dave

First thing I went after was the Steering wheel and it was "as one" with the steering column and required some heat and persuasion. I was concerned after fighting the steering wheel it was all going to give me grief, but was all simple removal from there. I did find a few loose and a few missing bolts / nuts.

Hoods off . . . Interesting how simple these old horses are . . . Has been customized it looks like as the steering rod comes through a large hole and not the smaller center of the three holes as I have seen on all the other 61's

Removed the plow, and seems someone adjusted the mounts down and (sorry Pic's upside down) it is only two fingers off the ground, so not sure how in the heck they did not get high centered all the time or must of just plowed a furrow.

Again the hand pivot / lift for the blade is poorly designed and placed and hits your foot, so will have to be relocated / Changed / Altered in some fashion.

I do not believe this harbor freight motor has a charging system (anyone Know) or I would install a battery and use the winch lift I took off the back, but charging a battery before each use seems like a P I T A, so I will just get creative.

Looks like I am in need of a new shifter boot as this one is all aged / cracked out - Any suggestions as to where a guy could locate one at a reasonable price? Is there other makes that will work?

The Brake - HMMM - The Brake Pad was floating around loose binding inside the brake ring - are these normally glued to the ring or tightened in when bolting ring or? As you can see the brake hub is gacked up pretty good.

Hood has some cracks so I will need to tig those closed.

Motor is pulled - Trying to decide on relocating the fuel tank to up under the hood and adding a stand pipe exhaust with the good old tractor ting ting ting cap - that way both the big holes in the hood will have a use or I will need to fill them in . . . .

I am in the process of reworking the lifting mechanism to the left side as well hoping I can reuse most of what is there.

Okay . . . Think that bring us up to speed with where I am at

IMG_3474.JPG

IMG_3476.JPG

IMG_3487.JPG

IMG_3495.JPG

IMG_3505.JPG

IMG_3508.JPG

IMG_3511.JPG

IMG_3515.JPG

IMG_3524.JPG

Edited by Spokane Dave
  • Like 3

Molon_Labe

Nice '61 project Horse you have there. Keep the updates coming, love the pics!

• Like 1

CasualObserver

:WRS: for sure.... glad Glenn directed you over here. What you have is most likely the 1961 model 551... simply based on the fact that there are only two options.... and yours has the two piece transmission.... the other option being a 401 which would have had a three-piece. (center cast iron and two steel side plates.)  The hood (although pretty hacked up...) and cast foot rests would be correct for the 1961. I only say "most likely" because as you'll find in Wheel Horse... you can cobble together multiple years parts and engines and build your own tractor pretty easily. When something has had significant modifications, it can be difficult to nail down a year/model for sure.  For your 551 you should see evidence on the frame where the built-in battery box has been cut from the frame.

Good luck with your project.... 

• Like 1

ACman

:text-yeahthat:...welcome to the dark side :) ...  :rs:that is ...there’s no turning back now :lol: !

You’ll fit right in we love lots of :text-coolphotos: .... keep them coming .

Edited by ACman

Spokane Dave

Thanks for all the welcomes . . . . Nice to meet you all

Actually not working on the old girl today = I decided to take the day off and give my tired old hands a break today.

Should get back at her soon, and will add more pic's then.

Curious if there is a cheap replacement for the old shifter boot, and perhaps some insight as to the issue with the brake pad floating

For your added entertainment - I attached some before /after pics of the old GT16 Twin with Blower I just (frame off LOL) refurbished prior to getting started on the wheel horse . . . Hoping the Old WHeel horse turns out as nice

gt16dirty03.JPG

IMG_3376.JPG

IMG_3311.JPG

Edited by Spokane Dave
  • Like 5

Spokane Dave

After reviewing my own pictures above:

1: as stupid as the picture looks the torch is Not creating eminent danger to the fuel tank below it as it is far away and devoid of fuel:handgestures-thumbupright:

2: I forgot to mention the wetness behind one wheel and the bottom of the tranny - is there any common problems I should look for, and lastly what is the fluid weight and level for refilling the the tranny ? Bear in mind this all may be as a result of the tractor being tipped almost on its side when loaded in the back of my truck by two guys at the sale - I used ramps at home, so could a severe lean make it leak ? Does not seem to be leaking but was leaking if ya know what I mean

• Like 1

Molon_Labe
41 minutes ago, Spokane Dave said:

After reviewing my own pictures above:

1: as stupid as the picture looks the torch is Not creating eminent danger to the fuel tank below it as it is far away and devoid of fuel:handgestures-thumbupright:

2: I forgot to mention the wetness behind one wheel and the bottom of the tranny - is there any common problems I should look for, and lastly what is the fluid weight and level for refilling the the tranny ? Bear in mind this all may be as a result of the tractor being tipped almost on its side when loaded in the back of my truck by two guys at the sale - I used ramps at home, so could a severe lean make it leak ? Does not seem to be leaking but was leaking if ya know what I mean

I always use 85-90 gear oil and fill the transmission till the oil comes out of the fill plug. Easiest to fill through the top of the tranny with the shift boot and shifter removed.

• Like 2

Achto
1 hour ago, Spokane Dave said:

2: I forgot to mention the wetness behind one wheel and the bottom of the tranny - is there any common problems I should look for, and lastly what is the fluid weight and level for refilling the the tranny ?

:WRS:  I would guess that your axle seals may be leaking. Could be because the seals have dried out. Could be that the axles are sloppy in the housing, indicating a need to rebuild the tranny. 80-90w oil for the tranny, fill to the top of the filler hole on the left side.

Check with @wheelhorseman for shifter boots & tranny rebuild kits. https://www.wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/

Spokane Dave
1 hour ago, Molon_Labe said:

I always use 85-90 gear oil and fill the transmission till the oil comes out of the fill plug. Easiest to fill through the top of the tranny with the shift boot and shifter removed.

1 hour ago, Achto said:

:WRS:  I would guess that your axle seals may be leaking. Could be because the seals have dried out. Could be that the axles are sloppy in the housing, indicating a need to rebuild the tranny. 80-90w oil for the tranny, fill to the top of the filler hole on the left side.

Check with @wheelhorseman for shifter boots & tranny rebuild kits. https://www.wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/

Thanks for the info - I will check fluid level when I get back at her just to see whats in there

Will take a look at "parts and More" thanks for the link

Edited by Spokane Dave

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

wallfish

:WRS:

A rare find that far west but there have been others from Washington post here. That tractor is a 61 model 551.

How factory correct are you looking to get with the restoration? The reason for asking is we can point out all of the incorrect stuff if your interested without seeming like we're bashing the tractor. There's quite a bit going on with that one and we can help identifying the parts you may need or want.

ie: The plow is not Wheel Horse.

Soak the brake band and lining in gasoline, once dry and clean you can epoxy it back on. Find something to set the brake or clamp it to the drum for drying and you should be all set.

Check the steering gears for worn teeth. Common that people just keep turning wheel when they loosen up and slip so it wears down the gear teeth until you can't turn back the other direction. I believe that could be why the steering shaft was modified to go back farther, to wedge the gears together.

You should probably get rid of that pot metal pulley on the engine so it doesn't grenade on your private parts. They're designed for electric motors. Go with a 2 1/2 inch cast pulley instead. Or wear a cup!

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 4

wallfish

After looking closer, the hood stand was moved forward, probably to accommodate the engine transplant.

if you move it back to the original location the big hole in the hood the shaft goes through now can be filled with a electric box plug, which was how it was originally done from the factory. Just throwing stuff out there.

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Just a FYI, heads up, it's coming.

If you haven't reached your free limit, you will be shortly...

and, this link is your work around.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/store/category/1-redsquare-support/

welcomewagon.gif.989c0f3fcc824cd1dec93ee153b6bffe.gifhdr-logo-100b.png.2bb46421ee4b336527bed546e5c776f0.png

• Like 1

Spokane Dave
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

:rolleyes: Just a FYI, heads up, it's coming.

If you haven't reached your free limit, you will be shortly...

and, this link is your work around.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/store/category/1-redsquare-support/

welcomewagon.gif.989c0f3fcc824cd1dec93ee153b6bffe.gifhdr-logo-100b.png.2bb46421ee4b336527bed546e5c776f0.png

Okay good to know . . So I know I am on the same page. . . .

Again - Is it 16m limit  for the entire forum use / each thread or each group of photo's I post in each reply ?

Is there a place for me to see "where I am at" as far as the limit ??

No Worries - Fully understand the costs, as I organized and coordinate a Dual-Sport motorcycle group now for 10 years, and I absorb personally all the hosting / domain / associated fee's as it is a "not for profit group" to make it simple for me to oversee, but the no - need for / simplicity of organization = no paper work - no records required = does come at an acceptable cost to me. . . . But far less $$ I am sure then this Great site.

Personally I am addicted to a wide variety of OLD garden tractors, and must admit this is my first wheel horse, However . . . I'm a picture nut, as I  love to see lots of them when reading forums as well. I'll scale back a little on my pic numbers, but most likely i will  need to join before I get the old girl done. . . . Besides . . . I am gaining a whole new appreciation for the old wheel horses after doing some reading / viewing on here, so most definitely will be adding them to my list of old Tractors to look for.

There just so dang scarce in my neck of the woods . . . . Ahhh The thrill of the hunt :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Spokane Dave

Did a little digging and answered my own question, and I am gathering it is site wide limit . . . . Doing okay for now

"You have used 2.56 MB of your 16 MB attachment limit."

Edited by Spokane Dave

Spokane Dave
19 hours ago, wallfish said:

A rare find that far west but there have been others from Washington post here. That tractor is a 61 model 551.

How factory correct are you looking to get with the restoration? The reason for asking is we can point out all of the incorrect stuff if your interested without seeming like we're bashing the tractor. There's quite a bit going on with that one and we can help identifying the parts you may need or want.

ie: The plow is not Wheel Horse.

Soak the brake band and lining in gasoline, once dry and clean you can epoxy it back on. Find something to set the brake or clamp it to the drum for drying and you should be all set.

Check the steering gears for worn teeth. Common that people just keep turning wheel when they loosen up and slip so it wears down the gear teeth until you can't turn back the other direction. I believe that could be why the steering shaft was modified to go back farther, to wedge the gears together.

You should probably get rid of that pot metal pulley on the engine so it doesn't grenade on your private parts. They're designed for electric motors. Go with a 2 1/2 inch cast pulley instead. Or wear a cup!

Thanks for the info . . . . As far as "factory correct" Beings it is already a "creation" I figure I won't worry to much about it being "stock", but always happy for the info on what it shoulda / coulda or wuzsaposta be - won't feel like your bashing it.

Thanks for the info on the brake.

Steering seemed fine when I drove it before tear down, but figure i'll take a looksee - clean and lube it all.

Thinking I want a two grove pulley for additional drive potential, and THANKS for the input on how the pot metal ones have the potential to grenade - that would NOT be a fun experience.

ACman

You’ll find this group is pretty entertaining, very knowledgeable and well mannered :rolleyes: . Believe me becoming a supporter does make it well worth it . Yes , we love our :wh: Horses but we also have a Other brand section http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/6-other-brands/ . As most of us just like tractors .... well maybe not the green and yellow ones . :lol: :teasing-poke: There’s no other forum out there like :rs:

• Like 1

ACman

I forgot... if you love garden tractors and like reading about them this book is a must have and you won’t be disappointed . http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/72866-the-end-of-my-wheel-horse-story-leaving-the-hobby-forever-books-selling-at-cost/?tab=comments#comment-693451 and as he states when they’re gone there gone or until December 31 which ever comes first . 

wallfish
On 11/20/2017 at 3:04 PM, Spokane Dave said:

The tractor came with a custom rear lift system that is ingenuous in my opinion - removed cable spool from little winch - fitted with flat bar and hooked to hitch - only downside is the motor does not have a charging system for a battery and charging before use seems like a PITA so I will remove the lift winch / save it for another project, and hook the rear hitch to a manual lift rod is my intent.

That rear winch idea from the PO is a good one. Attaching an arm into the winch.

I like that much better than using a wire cable plus it can give down pressure if the winch has the power out option instead of just free spooling. It gets the wheels turning for different ideas on how to use something like that. For instance, quite a few people have used a winch with the cable for raising a snow plow but doing it that way seems more versatile with down pressure. Snow blower lift? Figuring out a way to link it up to the rock shaft for electric lift for all attachments is another good application for that. Ect. Ect. Ect.

5a16d7102dd0b_wincharm.JPG.56157afe5be66e0e83611d80c5b5de51.JPG

It seems like there's enough room for a battery in front of the steering shaft if you're leaving that extension on the front. Maybe a starter generator squeezed in there somewhere and a belt to a second groove on the engine pulley for charging? :twocents-02cents:

I just like to "think out loud" most of the time. :hide:

• Like 2