Michael Thompson

My granddaughter's 857

Michael Thompson

Hey gang I'd like to ask your opinion about the suitability of setting up an 857 as a youth pulling tractor. 

My my granddaughter is only 3 right now so I know I have a few years to put something together. 

My first thought was to build the little 857 as her own "show pony", but the more I think about it actually being able to participate in something unusual like tractor pulling with her would be awesome. 

So the question is, does the 857 make for a good start? I own the tractor already and I have already begun the restoration. 

Are there 8 hp classes? Is a short frame tractor at a huge disadvantage when pulling? 

Im so green on tractor pulling that I don't know what questions to ask. 

Any input will will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Michael Thompson
  • Like 1

fast88pu
5 hours ago, Michael Thompson said:

Hey gang I'd like to ask your opinion about the suitability of setting up an 857 as a youth pulling tractor. 

My my granddaughter is only 3 right now so I know I have a few years to put something together. 

My first thought was to build the little 857 as her own "show pony", but the more I think about it actually being able to participate in something unusual like tractor pulling with her would be awesome. 

So the question is, does the 857 make for a good start? I own the tractor already and I have already begun the restoration. 

Are there 8 hp classes? Is a short frame tractor at a huge disadvantage when pulling? 

Im so green on tractor pulling that I don't know what questions to ask. 

Any input will will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

An 8hp can pull competitively in an 850 or 950 lbs class. But I would restore it and find her a long frame with an 8 speed 11/8" axle in it. Then if you have to cut anything you don't feel as bad. Just my .02. 

953 nut
8 hours ago, Michael Thompson said:

my granddaughter is only 3 right now so I know I have a few years to put something together.

:WRS:           I would guess that you have plenty of time. First you should check with your local pulling groups to see what limitations they have in place for age and class rules for the younger age groups. A Lawn Ranger might be a better choice for a young child. lower seat height and can be outfitted with a spring loaded hand clutch so it will come to a stop if the handle is released. Make it start out as a fun, safe and enjoyable outing and worry about winning later on. Just my take on it.

20160624_121302.jpg.08346a0a67d99726fd118aa7a3119ec2.jpg

• Like 3

Michael Thompson

Hey thanks guys that tells me what I need to know. I had a chance to watch the tractor pulls at the Florida Flywheelers meet in Ft. Meade last week and the little kiddos pulling was my favorite part. 

Some of them looked to be 6 or 7ish. The ground speeds were real slow and it looked to be a safely run event. 

My wish is to mentor Amelia in wholesome things that Papa can help her learn. I raised my sons to take care of and respect machinery and I hope I can play a small part in doing that with my granddaughter too. 

My hope would be to place an emphasis on how things work. How to grow to be independent and comfortable with things that command respect. 

The little 857 looked to be a possible starting point and to tell you the truth winning is not important. More just something that is hers and she can be proud of looking back as she gets older. 

Thankyou guys for your input. I really had no idea where to start and you have provided me valuable info. 

Edited by Michael Thompson
  • Like 3

RandyLittrell

I am a similar spot. I used to pull and my Dad and son did it with me. My son didn't really enjoy it because you basically get to pull one time and have to be there a long time. My grandson is almost 3 and I hope he will want to pull with me when he gets older. 

You might want to set your tractor up so it can be used for pulls and show or just playing at home. Just my .02. This is my plan for the future. 

Randy

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Like 1

stevebo

We set my son's 857 up. 

Video_1.MOV

Video.MOV

Spareparts

Got to start them young, my grandson Alex started pulling at 3. He has pulled the last 4 seasons and the last 2 seasons he has pulled 2 classes 650 and 750.

Our club allows 2 pulls per class so that get's him 4 pulls and I only pull 2 classes. This last season we, and I mean we built him his own tractor, a Sears Custom

7 with a 8 speed peerless with 1&1/8" axles with a 18 hp V-twin B&S. He picked the colors and helped with most of the painting. The first pull we made we had problems

and I thought he would be disappointed, to my suprise he just told me " Grandpa we have some more work to do" We pull about 18-20 pulls a year and he has got about 15 Trophy's

this season and our club makes a big deal out of it with the kids. Not all kids get a trophy you have to earn it, and with 40 & 50 hooks per class it is not easy.

We pull with a club called "Bucket Brigade Garden Tractor Pullers" out of Kidder Mo. Operated by Bill,Ron, and Larry Baldwin they have a FB page and web page. check us out. 

We have pulled with some other clubs that don't really care for the younger classes and that is a shame kinda like going to a Church and not hearing a baby cry, well they won't be around long.

953 nut
29 minutes ago, Spareparts said:

" Grandpa we have some more work to do"

Come on Grandpa, you have pictures, we know you do!        :wwp:                       :ychain:

• Like 1

Spareparts

Man I am 72, the only computers I was around took up 3 rooms and spit thousands of them little cards all stacked up in trays, 

I thought to myself This **** ain't gonna work. Worked on trucks and heavy equipt for years, now they are run by computers

started working on compactors and power units, now they are controlled be programale controllers. So I retired. But as soon

as my son teaches me how to load pictures I will load some up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1