RandyLittrell

McMaster Carr order

RandyLittrell

Ok guys, I need to make a order for some spirol roll pins and wondered if you could think of anything else I should order while I am at it. Maybe steering shims or something like that. Might as well make my shipping count. 

I currently have a C-120, 1277, 310-8, and a 401. If that would help. 

Thanks, Randy

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Axle keys,  hairpin clips, lynch pins, cotter pins ????

• Like 3

rmaynard

Dog-point set screws. 

• Like 1

Lee1977

3/4" c-clips for the PTO.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

A $50 gift card for my Christmas present!

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Dennys502

Tie rod ends.

• Like 1

BaySide1

I Love McMaster-Carr. Have been ordering from them for a long time.

they have just about everything.

another good place to find some odd ball stuff is mscdirect.com

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

RandyLittrell

Thanks guys, you have given me more ideas than I have money!!

Randy

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wishin4a416

The C-clip or E-clip starter kit.

• Like 1

Sarge

O-ring kit is handy - their stuff is all high quality , it's something to consider if you want to avoid the usual hardware store imported junk - like o-rings . Some good US made front wheel bearings might be another one . I'm lucky , have an account with them and live close enough that any order put in before 6pm is here the next morning via UPS - they send their stuff out every night , 5 days a week . Just fyi - they have some of the best Super bearing grade bushings available in the silver material - works a lot better and smoother than the oil-impregnated bronze type so any bushings you need and want to last , that is the place to find them . They do carry quite a few of the very thin walled ones used on your 1277 - that's where I've gotten mine in the past . I also stock bushings for upgrading front axles to get rid of the metal-to-metal contact on the steering spindles and center axle pin .

If you ever need a bizarre specialty tool - they stock some of the most odd things on the planet as well . If nothing else , I use their catalog and engineering drawings of parts as a reference book - saves a lot of time and their tech staff is second to none . Also , they have a phone app that actually works excellent - even the search engine is far beyond anything else I've found if you don't know what something is called . You can check/update/change orders and track shipments on your phone quickly , save orders or wish list items for later , ect . Wish whoever designed the app would do everyone else's - this is the first app I can honestly say that there is nothing I don't like about it .

Sarge

• Like 3

rmaynard
32 minutes ago, Sarge said:

...their stuff is all high quality...

I would qualify that statement by saying that most of their stuff is high quality. I recently purchased a pressure gauge for an application that I was working on, and the gauge they sent me was described as 1.75" diameter but it was only 1.675". The clear plastic lens feel off as soon as I opened the box. They happily replaced it at no charge, but sent me the same junky item as a replacement. After a full refund, I ended up buying a Chinese gauge off eBay for 1/3 the price, and free shipping from China.  The quality was superb. I don't know how they sell so cheap and still ship for free. But that's a discussion for another day.

Having said that, I use McMaster-Carr quite often, and 99% of their stuff is great and arrives the next day. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ACman

I was spoiled when I grew up having access to all of our stocked McMaster and MidWest Fastner cabinets/drawers. It’s so nice to have just these little things mentioned above stocked on your shelves. Here’s some links to some of my favorite suppliers for all your needs.

https://www.mcmaster.com/

https://fastenerconnection.com/  - Midwest Fastner

https://www.mscdirect.com/

https://michigan.hybrocosales.com/Home/Page/screws more set up for selling bulk but will help you out .

http://www.midwestcontrol.com/  

I know Harbor Freight is all Chinese crap but it saves a trip into town . I buy all their assortments of hairpins , cotter pins , electrical connectors , C and E clip , O-ring , heat shrink , electrical tape , bulk wire rack and even their nut bolt assortments (the heads of the bolts match the original bolts used on the 60’s tins) they’re not grade 5 and wouldn’t use them on anything structural . It’s cheap and will get you outta a pinch when you can’t get a quality replacement .

Edited by ACman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sarge

If I ever have a question as to potential quality issues with a part from McMaster - I call one of the service reps . They can forward via email or even web links as to the details of anything they carry - including where something is manufactured . I do remember running into a liquid dampened pressure gauge that they sent was Chinese - seemed well made but was about as accurate as a wild azzed guess at best . They sent a pre-paid ticket for pickup and credited my account immediately - there had been a change in suppliers and US made one was substituted with the import . They had sourced the correct one somewhere else and it arrived 2 days later , no additional cost on my end - that is great customer service .

I did have one major problem other than that - it was a supply of different sized lead shot for doing carb work . I needed it for sealing the drilled circuits in Weber carbs due to some coming in with defects and debris in those circuits . Redline ate a big penalty for that batch and they ended up paying for all the correction work . When the lead was shipped though McMaster didn't seal those plastic jars very well nor were they packaged tightly enough to survive being handled by UPS . Two full jars of those little lead alloy balls ended up all over my local driver's truck - and all over his hands . Now , not being pure lead they contained a certain percentage of antimony and selenium - both of which are really poisonous to humans . I hauled his butt inside and had him wash his hands and face immediately - the truck had to go back to their terminal with the balls still rolling around and the rest of it's load still inside . UPS called a cleanup/HAZMAT company to handle the truck and get the rest of it's load off for the next day delivery . I talked to McMaster while the driver was still here and explained their error and what it had done to the driver - they handled the whole thing with UPS directly after that point . Next shipment , 2 days later arrived boxed up much better but one container was broken although everything stayed in the box . Far as I know they do not sell those anymore due to the nature of the hazards in handling those lead shot - plastic jars just can't stand being shipped very well .

If anyone needs lead shot for doing carb circuits - let me know , probably still have at least 6 different sizes here in some pretty good quantities - yours for the cost of shipping . Yes , I will send them safely , lol ...

Sarge

• Like 3