PeacemakerJack

MCACN!

PeacemakerJack

Have any of you guys ever been to this?

http://www.mcacn.com/

If you are into vintage cars, muscle cars, corvettes and you live anywhere within a decent driving time—it is worth it!  Dad and I have gone to it about 3 times in the last 6 or 7 years and we have never been disappointed.  Many of the feature cars that you see in the Muscle Car magazines are at this show. They have a rotational feature car display every year and then standard repeat features like barn finds, vintage racers, etc.  It’s a cool show for sure...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rmaynard

Looks like a fun show, and looking at the picture of the three of you together, the DNA line runs strong on the male side of your family. Great to see three generations enjoying a fun day together. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Sarge

Seeing Landy's strip car makes me feel old - remember watching them run it back in the day , wow that thing could launch out of the hole HARD ! It's nice to see some of the vintage iron getting out into the Public eye once in awhile - too many of the really rare examples get bought up by collectors and hidden away forever . I hope to do the same thing with my grandkids some day - spent a lot of time with Dad over the years attending the car shows and even a few trips out to see the auction/museum at Auburn for the Cord/Duesenberg yearly event . Got to meet Gordon Beuhrig , the designer behind some of those amazing shapes and styles of the 20s and 30s ...

Sarge

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack
4 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Looks like a fun show... Great to see three generations enjoying a fun day together. :handgestures-thumbupright:

That was the best part of the day, spending time with my dad and my son. The cars are cool but the loved ones are the best!  

The Barn Finds is a growing segment of the Muscle Car community. This Judge was in great condition for being stored in a barn for years...

6B4B45BC-2E52-47AB-B513-7F5AB269D35E.jpeg.6718da943a65bfd21668e5c908af48f4.jpeg

1C94AA93-7290-449E-A4A8-EB2D2C099309.jpeg.281e0c4ec85c3bef0cb88e3e28293077.jpeg

what made it especially unique was that it is equipped with a bench seat. That is unusual in a GTO but really rare in a Judge.

3E2C7CE3-FBCB-46AD-B9B4-607DA310B196.jpeg.e49abf13ab4bbbd12183934dc4342109.jpeg

one of the other things I enjoy in both Garden Tractors and old cars is the back stories. This 1967 Buick GS 340 was sold brand new by the current owners dad. The current owner was able to buy it from the original owner about 15 years ago and just finished a rotisserie resto on it.  It is a connection with his dad and the successful dealership he ran for years. Cool

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

squonk

Looks like a great time and sure beats sitting and watching a 23-0 debacle! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:            Great looking show,thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

@Sarge I agree with the chance to see these cars in person once in awhile...

The vintage race cars were awesome to look at and in some cases hear the stories. This Mopar was a purpose built factory drag car that was banned from racing by the NHRA because it was so innovative that they hadn’t caught up with the various things that the builders employed.

5FE971B2-DCF3-4967-9362-AF58BAE5292D.jpeg.ff96a7fee1ce98aeb2d6084c7de036f8.jpeg

We spoke with the guy standing behind the car for about 20 min about it...fascinating.

C09AD047-DCEC-44D1-B12B-AABCB18245DB.jpeg.20e5039d5765867d6156ba5de5a6db70.jpeg

Edited by PeacemakerJack
  • Excellent 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Wow, thanks for posting that, some serious cars there.

Glenn

• Like 1

Sarge

Banned cars brings up some heavy memories - Dad used to spend more time in the tower than anyone getting protested for running what everyone thought was a Hemi . It was a wedge engine , modified 440-6 pushed to 458cu/in with a lot of very creative head work done by my great Uncle - he's a master machinist and one of the most anal engine builders I've ever met . I guess when you put fully sponsored cars back on the trailer in the first round it gets their blood pressure up , especially when you drove yours to the track with your equipment and a set of 8" slicks in the trunk and no real pit crew . I think his best pass was at 11.82 on a street-legal car - '70 Dodge Charger RT/SE 440-6 Auto , deep midnight black and quite rare if it were still around today . It died a horrible death in '74 when my step mother put it through a fence run in the rain at over 100mph . Older guys in the area still talk about it to this day at the car shows when they see me .

Back up to 18yrs ago - helped a friend of mine restore a parade vehicle built by the Sante Fe Railroad shops in 1948 in Topeka , Kansas - it's a scaled down model of an F3 diesel that was on an old heavy Dodge truck chassis and used to promote their new line of fuel efficient diesel train engines . Just for grins , we took it to the World Of Wheels at McCormick Place in Chicago in 2000 - won top in it's class of specialty vehicles . Directly in the same row at the back sat the Chi-Town Hustler and all it's banners and trophies from across it's history , pretty cool show .

http://www.mytrain.com/shows.html

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

:text-goodpost: thanks for sharing that Sarge!  Do you have any vintage pictures of that Charger?  I’d love to see some especially in action at the track but any pics would be cool!  I love the fact that your families ingenuity, hard work, and attention to detail was able to beat the factory backed competition!  Sad to hear about that cars demise but it happened to so many of them...

Sarge

We did find a few old photos from years back after Dad passed away - I need to get them scanned and digitized/fixed . None were at the track and sadly no really good pics of the black Dodge . It was an odd car , ordered as an RT/SE with the saddle tan interior - only one ever built in '70 and would really be worth some coin today to the Mopar crowd . He also had ran a '67 GTX in dark navy blue he bought new that year - ran that one undefeated for an entire year , Chrysler gave him a huge engraved trophy and a factory racing coat for his effort . I grew up in the back tray area of a '66 Charger in the soft silver with red interior , my first memories were the day I encouraged Dad to go faster on the Interstate and we blew a tire at a 130mph...lol . That one was a 383 Auto that never did run right despite being in the shop a lot . It was traded for the GTX that he swore was cursed , but fast . That poor thing spent more time in the body shop than anything - seemed like everyone wanted to hit it , always on the rear quarters too . The GTX finally got hit once too often and he ordered the new Charger - probably the most sinister looking stock vehicle ever built , especially in black .

Sarge

PeacemakerJack

Hey Guys—time to bring this thread back up again! Tomorrow Dad, Caleb, and I are going to be making a “pilgrimage” to Chi-Town for the annual MuscleCar And Corvette Nationals.  Anyone wanting to take the “virtual” trip with us can follow this thread. Please chime in with favorite stories of Muscle Cars that you’ve owned over the years or ones that you wish you could own...

@Shynon @Rp.wh @wallfish @19richie66 @WVHillbilly520H @Achto Just to let a few of the gear heads climb into the basement for this thread!😁

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Sparky

What great way to spend the day in winter when most of us are "hibernating". 

I'll just be sitting on my couch patiently waiting for this years pics :rolleyes: !

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:            Thanks for thinking of us and taking us along.      :handgestures-thumbupright:              I have been a motor head for years (too many to count). For several decades our annual vacation revolved around a pilgrimage to the NSRA Street Rod Nationals. 

• Like 2

rjg854

I'll always have a soft spot for that 66 GTO I quit college for. I still miss that car more than becoming an accountant.  I love building custom homes. 

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

I have had only one real muscle car, the '66 Impala 2 door with a '73 police interceptor 400SBC and 4spd on the floor, the '69 short bed C-10 and V8 LUV trucks were just toys along with the '79 Malibu Classic Landau with factory 4spd the black '78 I have now was a V6 black on black car that now sports the mighty 406 solid roller flat top piston SBC back by a TH400 reverse manual valve body with 4:10 posi rear, but all GM's have my attention but I give credit where it's due no matter the brand, thanks for taking us along,  Jeff.

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

Mecum Auto auction has been on TV here and I’m real familiar with it but they don’t have them on here locally anymore. We do have on RFD tractor auctions which are

Mecum and I do enjoy those. I wish they would bring the car auction programing here as well.

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack
1 hour ago, rjg854 said:

I'll always have a soft spot for that 66 GTO I quit college for...

:wwp: have you posted any on here before?  GTO’s run deep in my family!  

1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I have had only one real muscle car, the '66 Impala 2 door...

the '78 that now sports the mighty 406 solid roller flat top piston SBC back by a TH400 reverse manual valve body with 4:10 posi rear...

Wait a minute Jeff...we’ve all seen that thing...pretty sure it is a “muscle” car even though it was built a few years after the era was technically over...at least the way that you have it built!!!:thumbs:

3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

I have been a motor head for years (too many to count). For several decades our annual vacation revolved around a pilgrimage to the NSRA Street Rod Nationals. 

What is your favorite street rod model of all time Richard?

rjg854

No pictures, just memories 

PeacemakerJack

Here’s a few pics from my archives from last years show to whet everyone’s whistle...

AE136F0D-3948-49B7-A2EA-CB94612C96D7.jpeg.142d404e45e371f35116e738982a266c.jpeg

1 of 6

7F5D3AA9-F245-4F93-A131-67988295A792.jpeg.0bd922bc8cb01ae4abc5e26966940ad5.jpeg

a “what if” prototype 

120DB371-93D9-43B8-A7DB-CC41E0D5FEE5.jpeg.cb118b04916573fb8e5f5dc5d615318f.jpeg

they only made 15 1972 Buick GS stage 1 convertibles. 5 were at the Show!

75697AEA-3F11-4B1A-8B61-8E11A185FCEC.jpeg.1a02492b84177c0210ecc88e490e0dc3.jpeg

the very last G-body to come off the line. 38 original miles

520DF6C4-6448-4A24-B20C-027B544FAFEC.jpeg.3333b09e589fef2cdc3605d1239dab3f.jpeg

the big boys!

• Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

Howie

I would liked to get to that show before I get to old! I am a Pontiac guy thru and thru and own a 70 GTO. Need to get it finished up though.

Restro started several years ago it has gotten pushed to the side so to speak. not a muscle but first hot rod was a 55 Chieftan with a 389 

I put in it, had a 66 Lemans with a 428 big car engine in it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

wallfish

It's kind of funny thinking back to my younger days and how many of those cars passed through our lives. I have 2 older brothers which also enjoyed cars. Back then they were just everyday riders, Fast back Gran Torino, fast back mustang, Gallaxy then the Mopar ones like Satellite , Barracuda, Charger, Road Runner. There was some other stuff  mixed in like a Cutlas and a Grand Prix and can't remember what else. We didn't really get into the common Chevelles, Camaros and Novas since it seemed every body had them. My very first car was a 72 Buick Riviera. More of a luxury type car but it certainly had that muscle car look and body lines. It was big and heavy but the 455 engine could cruise it nicely.

Back then you could actually tell the difference between cars just with a quick glance as they zoomed past. They all look the same now until they started remaking the Challeger and Mustangs to look like the old body styles.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat:I was talking with my best friends parents about 25 years ago and they were sharing some of the cool cars that they had owned in the 60’s and 70’s.  I was naturally interested in all of the them. At one point in the conversation his mom stopped me and said, “Son, what you don’t understand is that back then every car was a classic even though we didn’t realize it at the time!”  

Well said.

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

Our day has begun!

2FC45412-7CF6-4AA7-B432-8C89F9FF26D3.thumb.jpeg.89529b5224d3b20068cc489df2eba039.jpeg

Three generational shot—I try to never take the blessing of this time together for granted.

A95CB948-57FB-4EB3-B58F-AA1ED727FE38.jpeg.759bb4b8b732bef523d1b6b4298116b4.jpeg

Stopped at the Oasis for DD breakfast!  Caleb is a fan.  We are looking to the southwest and waving to our good buddy @stevasaurus

:greetings-wavegreen:

Next stop...the show!:happy-bouncyblue:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3