Jim Demery

Tractors that got away

JPWH

You have let some nice tractors go. I have gotten rid of some box store mowers. Fortunately I don't have that regret with :wh:. I was given one years ago and I have bought two in the past couple years and still have all three.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

I have sold a couple that I can't say I have regrets over. One was a 400 Suburban that my wife HAD TO HAVE and never used. The other was a parts tractor 855 that turned out to be too good to part out but didn't fit my needs. My total investment in it was $ 55 +/- and sold it for $ 250 to a happy new owner who still loves it. I wasn't looking at making a killing on either of these, just wanted to  pass them on to someone who would show them some love.

• Like 9

Jim Demery
6 hours ago, JPWH said:

You have let some nice tractors go. I have gotten rid of some box store mowers. Fortunately I don't have that regret with :wh:. I was given one years ago and I have bought two in the past couple years and still have all three.

My biggest problem is storing them. If I still had them all, they'd be sitting all over my small yard. I'd rather send them to a good home than see them sit outside in bad weather. 

2 hours ago, Jerry77 said:

Had this for 21 years - traded in for 89 312-8...wish I had just paid for the WH and kept this for grins - tough old machine...

Scan19.jpg.a7f8cf0cd26f0c33d4eb349c1312e79e.jpg

Very nice original! 1962 ? I let one of those get away too!:auto-dirtbike:

20170227_202409.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Jerry77
54 minutes ago, Jim Demery said:

Very nice original! 1962 ? I let one of those get away too!

Yeah, 1962.  It was originally bought by Senator Richard Lugar for use on his farm near Mooresville, Indiana. He traded it in on a new John Deere in 1968 and I bought it.. I slicked it up and used it for 21 years ( had to put a new engine on at one point - my boys used it to mow yards for money and wore out my original ) I could have rebuilt it, but in the interest of time, I bought a new 8 hp Kohler for 200 dollars...one of my boys has the original engine..the tractor didn't  have a single safety switch on it...lol

• Like 6

Aldon

I let go of a cherry C195 I got from the CT gents, specifically KenB.

I decided it was redundant and and not what I wanted for a worker and let it go.

Since then, I have started to realize I collect more than I work them and would like to get it back.

The good news is that I know the fella well and will likely have the chance at some point in the future.

• Like 4

shallowwatersailor

I owned this low hour 1989 520-H for a couple of years. The Onan P220G has, in my opinion, a really nice sound when running. But the tractor was traded for my DC-105. It was a 520-H worth keeping.

DSCF9448.JPG

DSCF9468.JPG

• Like 9

WVHillbilly520H

I sold my Cub Cadet 106 with hi/lo "creeper drive" after buying the anniversary 520H, sort of bitter sweet to let it go as it was the first L&G tractor I bought after I got out on my own (pic not mine but basically what I had), dad still has his CC original (on it's 3rd or 4th engine), 1200 and 1450 that will be staying with me when he's gone.

Screenshot_20171115-200800.png

IMAG2186.jpg

IMAG2652.jpg

• Like 4

Jim Demery
8 hours ago, Jerry77 said:

Yeah, 1962.  It was originally bought by Senator Richard Lugar for use on his farm near Mooresville, Indiana. He traded it in on a new John Deere in 1968 and I bought it.. I slicked it up and used it for 21 years ( had to put a new engine on at one point - my boys used it to mow yards for money and wore out my original ) I could have rebuilt it, but in the interest of time, I bought a new 8 hp Kohler for 200 dollars...one of my boys has the original engine..the tractor didn't  have a single safety switch on it...lol

Now that's a great story! 

• Like 3

ebinmaine

A few years ago I was given a mid80's Bolens. 16 hp v-twin B & S. Wasn't running.

We got it up and roaring and then found the drive belt too loose.

I gave it away after putting just a bit of money in it.

I wish I'd kept that one.

• Sad 2

19richie66

Case 444 Demonstrator. Didn't know I would get into tractors as I have. Would love to have it back but it went to Texas. 

• Sad 2

PeacemakerJack

My Cousin Mike is a massive CASE/Ingy fan and owns about 25 of them. He has been looking for the right “fit” on a Black Knight Demonstrator for several years now and found this one a couple of months ago...

3F26EFE9-29A7-4D0B-90EC-A09D5F812812.jpeg.a8c2612f6caa5aa804ef3ff4bbc88eaa.jpeg

It was sold new from the dealership that his dad worked at for about 25 years. It is a one owner tractor that he will completely restore and show.  Cool history on those tractors for sure...

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

19richie66

@PeacemakerJack Thats a nice one. I dont know if I still have any pictures. Ill have to look.

**edit-found my pictures.**

IMG_5804.JPG

IMG_5805.JPG

IMG_5806.JPG

IMG_5808.JPG

Edited by 19richie66
Added pics
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

WHX??
On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:23 AM, 953 nut said:

a 400 Suburban that my wife HAD TO HAVE and never used

And you didn't keep and use Richard because..

a. they are easy to get on and off of....

b. they are real handy for pulling tubs...

c. they can cut nice lawn in tight places...

b. they are easy to maintain and service...

d. they don't use hardly any gas...

e. they just plain look cool...

f. all of the above....

:lol:

Edited by WHX12
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

953 nut
3 hours ago, WHX12 said:

didn't keep and use Richard because..

a. they are easy to get on and off of....

b. they are real handy for pulling tubs...

c. they can cut nice lawn in tight places...

b. they are easy to maintain and service...

d. they don't use hardly any gas...

e. they just plain look cool...

f. all of the above....

g. it wasn't my go-to tractor for anything and I wanted to pass it on to someone who would show it some love. Besides, the money went to buy another 953.     :woohoo:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Haha 2

WHX??
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Besides, the money went to buy another 953.

Your excused! :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sarge

I've been looking for years at a big Case 444 - the owner would never turn loose of it despite having such a small yard and it finally went to his son who has a big farm . They are quite rare around here , only seen a few of them and they all look pretty new-like as their owners care for them very well . That was one expensive unit new and totally understandable . I scored a Deere 455 diesel once pretty cheap - it never made it home on my trailer as a guy offered to me way more than I thought it was worth at a fuel station so I dropped it at his house . It was used for a few years for mowing and pushing snow, then his kids were allowed to use it and destroyed the engine as well as the trans - still sitting out behind his garage , what a shame .

Sarge

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

PeacemakerJack

Both of those are great off topics tractors. I’ve had more interaction with the big wheel cases than the JD’s but I did refurbish a buddies 420 several  years ago and I was impressed with how well it was made.  It always stinks when someone destroys a good GT.  

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

I’m not sure how many of you have owned or have had any interaction with the old Bolens tractors.  I have never owned one, but I have several friends that have them. They are a little spartan on the amenities but still beefy and well made tractors back in the day.  I have a friend Chad, who’s grandpa bought an HT-20 brand new. Chad grew up around that tractor and drove it often as a kid. It has been sitting for about a decade now but Chad plans to restore it in the near future. 

A80A7E77-AF5F-42C2-A0E3-0AF674A1E251.jpeg.cfcd7a8e29af0294ffbb5b0c77bea5a7.jpeg

It is a beast of a machine and certainly worth the effort in my opinion.

519AC43E-B4C6-4ABC-A9E2-475250C49180.jpeg.04fde8e610d56e98d8a4cdbefa4729ac.jpeg

Rough around the edges but stored inside.  There were a wide variety of GT’s made in the 1960’s and 70’s and they were mostly different! Today, 3/4 of the lawn tractors you see are the same with different paint and decals!  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H
3 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

I’m not sure how many of you have owned or have had any interaction with the old Bolens tractors.  I have never owned one, but I have several friends that have them. They are a little spartan on the amenities but still beefy and well made tractors back in the day.  I have a friend Chad, who’s grandpa bought an HT-20 brand new. Chad grew up around that tractor and drove it often as a kid. It has been sitting for about a decade now but Chad plans to restore it in the near future. 

A80A7E77-AF5F-42C2-A0E3-0AF674A1E251.jpeg.cfcd7a8e29af0294ffbb5b0c77bea5a7.jpeg

It is a beast of a machine and certainly worth the effort in my opinion.

519AC43E-B4C6-4ABC-A9E2-475250C49180.jpeg.04fde8e610d56e98d8a4cdbefa4729ac.jpeg

Rough around the edges but stored inside.  There were a wide variety of GT’s made in the 1960’s and 70’s and they were mostly different! Today, 3/4 of the lawn tractors you see are the same with different paint and decals!  

I believe most of the implements were shaft driven vs belt, ergo if someone would have taken all the better points of each brand and molded it into one there wouldn't have been any competition, Jeff.

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat: Jeff I have often observed that as I have studied the various brands.  It seems that they all have strong points and weak points.  I visited my cousin Kevin last night and he has one Case 646 and two Ingersoll tractors—a small wheel 3018 and a big wheel 4020 (:text-imsorry: I forgot to take pics) but we were discussing the positives and negatives of Hydraulic drive.  That 4020 has a Cat O three point and a 20hp Onan.  It is a beast. He just picked up a Brinly Cat O 12” for it and plans to install 8-16 AG’s over the winter. I can’t wait to see that thing plowing next year. He uses it for snow removal and a myriad of other things including a tiller. The coolest attachment he has for it is a 48” hydro cutter.  It is hydraulically driven and works AWESOME!  I’ll get pics and videos someday...

What’s that old saying? “Variety is the spice of life!”

• Like 2

608KEB

I sold my 75 C-120 Automatic  about 1 1/2 years ago. I regretted  it right away. I wanted 1 of each. B-80, B-100, C-100, C-120. And eventually  a C-160 Automatic. Well his wife told him he had to chose between  the WH and a motorcycle.  So I ended up buying it back. It looks in average condition. But, everything works and it runs excellent. I will not let go of the C-120 for a long time.

IMG_20170415_171347596.jpg

Edited by 608KEB
  • Like 3