Rob S

Power constant at solinoid

Rob S

Replaced key switch relays checked fuses and fuse block still have power to starter solinoid in the run position check for correct key switch also any help would be greatly appreciated 1997 520 problem started with the tractor starting a running fine for an hour turned it off went to restart and had no crank until it cooled down

Edited by Rob S

R. L. Addison

Solenoid Stuck?

Rob S

No works fine I have power to the blue wire in the run position and in crank position 

rmaynard

Go to the manuals section and download the electrical demystification file. Find your year and model, and then go to the start circuit. With the aid of a multimeter, you should be able to determine what the problem is. My first guess is a bad ignition switch.

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Make sure the starter drive gear has retracted back into the starter. If they stay engaged in the starter ring gear it is possible the lever is keeping the solenoid plunger engaged with the solenoid contacts which makes the starter motor run off the battery.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/73521-520-h-toro-520-h-garden-tractor-sn-7900001-7999999-1997/starter/

Garry

RubyCon1
5 hours ago, Rob S said:

I have power to the blue wire in the run position and in crank position 

There should be no power to the blue trigger wire in the RUN position.

Rob S

I know I should only have power to the blue wire on the crank circuit but I have it in the run circuit and the tractor cranks as soon as you turn the key to run tried brand new key switch and relays cleaned all grounds wire connections are all cleaned and large white plug is fine the only thing I can think of is the new relays are Napa brand not OEM? 

RubyCon1

Assuming your safety switches are wired up and functional -

Ignition in the OFF position

Sit in seat

PTO to ON position

Turn ignition switch to RUN

Does the starter engage?

• Like 1

Rob S

Yes it dose

• Confused 1

RubyCon1

The safety switch circuit is no longer operating properly.

Trying to crank the engine with the PTO engaged should not allow the starter to engage. The symptoms you describe sound like the "I" terminal of the ignition switch is wired directly (intentional or not) to the light blue wire of the starter solenoid or the dark blue wire of the START relay. Wired this way, the safety switches would all be bypassed.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

There are 2 pto switches.

One controls the starter and the other controls the ignition.

Sounds like the wires may be mixed up right there.

Purple and light blue at one pto switch for the starter

Dark green and purple at the other pto switch for the ignition. (Maybe the purples are switched?)

Garry

squonk

Could also be enough crap built up in the starter switch plug to actually create a connection between the run and start terminals.