Docwheelhorse

Magnum 10 un-regulated charging running away

Docwheelhorse

Good Evening Gents,

Picked up a 314-8 from a friend that had bought it off a local dealer about a year ago.

Upon looking closer with Sparky by my side theres several "wrong" parts... front spindles, steering wheel, front wheels... etc... but who cares--it runs and drives and is a worker.

Heres my issue---somewhere along the line the Magnum 14 must have quit and a Magnum 10 was dropped in. This 10 only has the 3 amp un-regulated charging with the AC lighting circuit. 

When running with a very good battery it just keeps on charging (yah I know... its un-regulated and suppose to) except at W.O.T it will hit 18 vdc and thats when we pulled the meter. Turn on the headlights (hooked direct to battery... A.C. lighting not hooked up) and the voltage goes to "normal range" and stays there.

All voltages verified with good meter...

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Tony

slammer302

Have a 310-8 that shows around 16 to 17v at wide open throttle with a good battery. I've just kept using it and nothing has expired yet.

• Thanks 1

wallfish
37 minutes ago, Docwheelhorse said:

Any Ideas?

First thing to do is to question Sparky's credentials and his working knowledge of using that meter! Second thing is to make more jokes about his consumption of all that yogart. :ychain: 3rd thing is to wait for a reply from someone with more knowledge about the unregulated 3 amp circuit.

Personally I would just leave the 12v DC lights connected and leave them on while running the engine. Or leave just one on depending on the amp draw from them for the concern of overcharging the battery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Docwheelhorse

Well funny you say that... one headlight and one taillight are burned out. Guess I could rig it so one headlight runs off battery and other off the AC circuit?

Tony

wallfish

you'll need an AC light, like from a snowblower, to run anything off that AC circuit

Docwheelhorse

"you'll need an AC light, like from a snowblower, to run anything off that AC circuit"

John... I could be wrong (I'll ask Mike after he finishes his Yoplait). But I dont think lightbulbs care if there fed 12 volts ac or 12 volts dc... the Briggs tractors have an AC lighting circuit and dont use fancy bulbs as far as I know.

Tony

• Like 1

953 nut

A bad ground on yhe regulator can allow voltage to go higher. Unbolt it and clean up the contact area then tighten it down.

• Like 1

Docwheelhorse
2 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

A bad ground on yhe regulator can allow voltage to go higher. Unbolt it and clean up the contact area then tighten it down.

Except that in these 3 amp systems theres no regulator... there a 3 amp "un-regulated" system... I would expect them to have the potential to go to 15 or maybe 16 vdc... but this one passed 18 vdc.

Tony

lynnmor

I don't know what voltmeter you have, but the new-fangled digital meters can go crazy on these old systems.  I use a simple analog meter, (you know, one with a needle) on these basic systems.

• Like 1