Nh723

New 520h owner with trans axle problem

Nh723

Recently bought a 520h. It came with a kwikway loader set up, 48" mower deck, rototiller and dual wheel set up. 

It's been an enjoyable machine. But I've had problems with my trans axles. When I got the machine, both axles had broken key ways. (I presume this is from to much stress on the axle from the loaded dual tire set up) Somebody had drilled a hole straight through the hub and axle and put shear bolts in. Even with running a grade 8 bolt in then they just don't hold up. 

The axle shafts themselves are getting quite worn. Can anybody tell me where I can find some new axles and seal kit for the replacing these?

20170422_104005.jpg

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:      The problem you have experienced is not all that uncommon with deals. The best way to avoid that is to keep the pressure on the outer tires low and remove the fluid.           :text-coolphotos:

You can place an ad in our classified section here,    http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/classifieds/wanted/

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

You may find it easier to buy another tractor with an Eaton 1100 and swap the trans axles. Dual tires on the rear are meant for stability from tipping sideways. But they can damage the axles as you have found out.

There are two schools of thought on loading tires versus hanging weight on the rear of the tractor. Hanging weight on the rear is supposedly hard on axle seals. But loaded tires are hard on hubs and keyways as the rotational force tries to keep the tire turning while you are stopping or changing direction..

• Like 4

Nh723

Thank you both for the replies!

I am looking in to buying a parts tractor. Does anybody happen to know what models have the Eaton 1100? Is it only the 520h?

Edited by Nh723

953 nut
14 minutes ago, Nh723 said:

what models have the Eaton 1100?

Most automatic models from 1980 on had the Eaton 1100, some of the lower HP units had the Eaton 700, you don't want that.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I believe any of the 300, 400, and 500 series tractors with hydraulic lift have the Eaton 1100.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Nh723 Check with @richmondred01 He may have an Eaton 1100 , and welcome to :rs: Look in the classifieds on the forum. 

• Like 1

Steve_O

There is a 520H transaxle for sale in north west Connecticut crag's list.

Edited by Steve_O