cgambino1018

Finally got a 520H

cgambino1018

Upgraded from a 312 to a 520H this week.  It says 29 hours on the meter,  hoping its correct.  I started by changing all the engine oils and filter, gas filter, air filter, greased the fittings, and put new plugs in.  I also changed the hydraulic oil & filter and am noticing the oil goes in VERY Slowly.  Is this normal?  How much oil should it take.  I put in 2 quarts and the stick is dry. 

2 more questions:

1) the front tires are dry rotted and only hold air for about 2 days.  is there anything i can do to save them (Slim, tubes, other?) or just buy new ones?

2) When I start the machine the volts go all the way over to 16 and stay there.  Is that normal?

It came with a Leveling blade that mount under the machine(where the deck goes).  that's for sale if there is any interest.

It also came with a plow, weights, chains.  that's for sale if there is any interest

It also came with a deck that is a rear discharge.  that is for sale if there is any interest.  Anyone selling a side discharge deck?

it also came with 4 gray hub caps, that's for sale if there is any interest

more pics of items for sale

20171107_191512Wheel horse.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ericj
50 minutes ago, cgambino1018 said:

1) the front tires are dry rotted and only hold air for about 2 days.  is there anything i can do to save them (Slim, tubes, other?) or just buy new ones?

2) When I start the machine the volts go all the way over to 16 and stay there.  Is that normal?

tubes or new front tires, if you ever have to remove a tire that had slim in and see the rim you'll understand.

check the battery with the engine off and running to see what your voltage is, I have some tractors that the gauge does that. One of them I replaced with another used gauge and had the same problem, but when checked with meter it shows proper voltage

55 minutes ago, cgambino1018 said:

changed the hydraulic oil & filter and am noticing the oil goes in VERY Slowly.  Is this normal?  How much oil should it take.  I put in 2 quarts and the stick is dry. 

2 more questions:

remove one of the gas tank support bracket bolts and this will allow air to escape

I would venture to say 29 hrs on meter is not correct, sorry 

looks like a nice find and good luck

eric j

• Like 2

WHX??

I'd have to agree with Eric on the 29 hrs but he is spot on about filling the transmission, a few of us leave the filter loose while filling to alow air to escape loosen  a top bolt. Tube the tires or replace but DO NOT put in tire slime... Eric knows. Replace the voltage regulator if it charges above 14 volts ...these regs are known for over charging and are less than 20 bucks at popular auction sites.

PLEASE post an item for sale in the proper classifieds if you are selling items off the tractor, not here. Let us know if you have any more problems with her, lots of 520 pros here and good luck with her!

• Like 2

cgambino1018

Thanks for all the good info.

For the hydraulic oil, I read last night it takes 5 qts.  Does that sound right.

I put the items for sale in the classified forum. Sorry about that. 

oldlineman

DO NOT SLIM!!!!!!!!! you would regret that move some day. As stated tubes or new tires is the correct answer.

Al C.
46 minutes ago, oldlineman said:

DO NOT SLIM!!!!!!!!! you would regret that move some day. As stated tubes or new tires is the correct answer.

About five years ago, in a pinch, I put slime in the original right front tire of a 1967 Wheel Horse to keep it inflated.  I was desperate and had no time.  It is still holding air.  What type of problems should I expect down the road as a consequence?

• Like 1

Sarge

Might want to re-consider selling that mid-mount blade - it is highly sought since they work so well for grading work on rock/dirt , ect....nice score , btw.

Sarge

• Excellent 1

WHX??
1 hour ago, Al C. said:

What type of problems should I expect down the road as a consequence?

It's a mess  & real pain to clean up if you ever have to un-mount the tire. It does work but no substitute for a proper tire patch/replace or tubing is all. I used it once on a roadside flat to get me out of a bind but my tire shop scolded  me big time :angry-nono: when I eventually went in for new tires! :lol:

• Haha 1

Pollack Pete

VERY nice 520H.But you're selling all the good stuff that came with it.Like others here have said," Change just one tire that had slime in it and you'll NEVER use it".Have fun with your new toy.

richmondred01

Nice 520. You may want to decarb the heads and adjust the valves on that onan sooner then later if you don't know the history. Every 520 and 416 I've owned the first thing I do I pull the engine and decarb and adjust the valves. 

953 nut
20 hours ago, cgambino1018 said:

volts go all the way over to 16 and stay there. 

If this is confirmed with another volt meter then remove the Voltage Regulator, clean the mouniing point and the back side to ensure a good ground and see what you have.

ericj
On 11/7/2017 at 8:49 PM, ericj said:

check the battery with the engine off and running to see what your voltage is, I have some tractors that the gauge does that. One of them I replaced with another used gauge and had the same problem, but when checked with meter it shows proper voltage

eric j

cgambino1018

Did some more work on the horse yesterday.  The Hydraulic fluid is filled.  Thanks for the tip on opening the filter to allow the air out.  It took about 4.5 qts. 

I ordered tubes for the front tires and ordered head lights.

Next I need to tackle where and how to fasten my Cyclone lawn Vac. to the wheel horse.  One ideas is to create a piece of metal and connect it to bracket support under the seat.  bottom of gas tank and just right of the hydraulic oil filter.  The problem is they are different heights and the bracket can only be an 1 -1 1/2 wide.  When the vac is full and I am on a hill or turning its a lot of pressure and i am afraid the brackets will bend.

All ideas areas are welcome. 

Sarge

I'd use the top of the axle tubes - mounting points there and bracing it to the cross pin for the rear hitch - that would be the strongest points at the back of the tractor . I had considered getting a Cyclone and took some time to look into how to mount it . Not sure I like that idea of it swinging around like a ball bat , but then again it takes a lot of semi-driver moves to get the job done with a vac trailer that is a tongue type as well .

Sarge

cgambino1018

I broke down and bought the adaptor to the lawn vac, as you guys said it connects to the axle.   

vacconnector.GIF

cgambino1018

In order to get the 42in deck to work on the 520 I had to extend the decks back wheels outward (to not rub against the mowers back tires).  Since I don't own a welding machine I made what I am going to call a Bolt extensions.  Hope these last at least 1 season.  What do you guys think?    https://photos.app.goo.gl/9Xv43dSdTbv8mhnc2

Thanks

Chris

cleat

They should work as long as everything is strong enough so nothing bends.