ebinmaine

74 B80 not charging. Regulator putting out NEGATIVE

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, WHX12 said:

This works really slick EB ... battery stays put. This is on the larger of the two batteries Paul mentioned above.

I lined the tray with a sticky back foam padding from Ace. I believe it was in the aisle with the chair feet bottoms so it was some kind of furniture/floor bottom protection. Stumbled on it quite by accident. but worked really slick. About an 1/8" thick and cut to fit. Batter fits nice and snug in it.

The battery hold in clamp idea I stole from @Achto who did it on his 1076. Take the flimsy piece of flat stock and toss it in the scrap mental bin. Cut an appropriate length of 3/4 x 3/4 angle iron and drill 1/4" holes for the studs. Radius the corners on the bench grinder for a smooth look.  Get two rubber isolation mounts pictured. :text-google: 1/4' rubber isolation mounts and you'll  find scads of them very cheap. Dan and I used lots of them in Harley builds.

Put them in your cordless drill and while rotating cut them to length using a razor knife and a drop of oil. they will cut easily and clean.  Mount them on the angle after a shot of regal red. this battery doesn't move at all  with all that Kohler pounding & shaking and even garden plow bouncing around.

20170510_132418.jpg

20170510_132316.jpg

shopping.jpg

Heluvan idea!

These pictures are only about 1.5 in squared on my phone so I can barely see them. I'll check that out later. I have a couple of my own scads of those isolators on the bench already.

• Excellent 1

WHX??
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

own scads of those isolators on the bench already

Yes they do come in handy for horse work & other projects. This was done on long frame tractors but should be able to be  adapted to the smaller batts on short frames & round hoods.

pfrederi

Guess I have better luck with batteries than Sarge does.  Bought a new battery for my D200 when I got it bout 9 years ago..still works.  One of my Case tractors has a 6 volt that is from 2009.  15 of my WHs have batteries in them.  Probably buy 2 replacement batteries every year.  Real winner...John Deere GT-235 bough new in June 2001.  Used every week all summer long by the wife mowing.  Still on the original battery idiot light comes on often but still starts....

• Like 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Guess I have better luck with batteries than Sarge does.  Bought a new battery for my D200 when I got it bout 9 years ago..still works.  One of my Case tractors has a 6 volt that is from 2009.  15 of my WHs have batteries in them.  Probably buy 2 replacement batteries every year.  Real winner...John Deere GT-235 bough new in June 2001.  Used every week all summer long by the wife mowing.  Still on the original battery idiot light comes on often but still starts....

Man, you're doing alright with that one! 16 years.

I personally only ever seen one come close to that. 17 years. I really enjoy the trucking I do now, my other job was selling Auto Parts.

We had a gentleman come in one day back in about 1995 that had an original AC Delco from a late seventies car. My boss was so impressed he kept it for the AC Delco sales rep.

• Like 1

Sarge

That's my point - batteries made back then were good quality and if taken care of they would last . That is not the case now - buy a replacement these days and they are short lived at best....

Sarge

ebinmaine
On 11/10/2017 at 10:43 AM, WHX12 said:

should be able to be  adapted to the smaller batts on short frames

Oh yeah, absolutely... Mine looks like it's set up just like the pictured one.

ebinmaine

As posted in the "What have you done"... thread, I got the VR, Ign switch and volt gauge done.

Thank you to those posting here and also @BOB ELLISON for supplying his schematic. 

As a vendor FYI for you.... I found the best price and fast shipping services from dbelectric.com. for the VR and switch. 

• Like 2