Sign in to follow this  
srose3070

Electro 12 Hydro Issue

srose3070

First of all I would like to say I appreciate all the help so far and if I can be of help to anyone please do not hesitate to ask. I have an issue with an Electro 12 I just bought. It is in fair shape, a bit rusty, and the engine (K301) seems to run just fine after a good carb cleansing. The problem is this when I put the gear selectoe in reverse it seems to be weak and will not back up an incline of any sort. It will go forward fine. I have not had the tractor running very long (actually yesterday) and

I haven't had time to even get it to operating temp yet.

The transmission does not make any noise and seems to be fine otherwise. I can find no leaks and the deck raises and lowers ok as well.

I was wondering if it is possible it could be low on fluid (I hope). I also wondered where I check the level and if I should change it to see if thais helps.

I assume it takes Auotmatic Transmission Dextron II but am not sure as I have heard several opinions from repair shop. If anyone can help I would certainly appreciate it.

IMG00033.jpg

kj4kicks

Nice find! You could have a low fluid level, but more likely it's either out of adjustment, or there is dirt/debris built up under the console plate preventing full movement of the dcl.

That model should take ATF. If you lift the fender, there will hopefully still be a decal on the top of the belt guard with the specs.

srose3070

Thanks I'll try to clean it out it had a ton of dirt in the toolbox area. I am currently restoring an 84 Workhorse and consequently the work area is taken as I have the tranny out of it. I plan on doing a restore on this one as well but wanted to get it running so I could move it around. If I put two in the stall I would probably have to leave home as my wife would not be happy :thumbs:

IMG00040.jpg

Rideawaysenior

Depending on the tranny, it would take either ATF, or 10w-30. The later Sundstrand pumps with piston to piston are the ones that took the 10w-30. The earlier Hydro gears took ATF. It's quite possible that the filter and fluid should be changed. That may fix it right there. Make sure you replace the filter with a true hydraulic fluid filter. An automotive filter will fit but won't work the same way as the hydraulic filter should.